WR Recruits

gophers141

Reaction score
It has been said many times already that we need speed/playmakers at the WR position. Woli and Jones will develop and be contributors.

Is Kill and co. going after and freshman or juco WRs for next year that could be instant contributors? --> Any that we actually have a chance at landing.

I know they like Eric Carter a lot. Not terribly fast, but I think he can make some plays. We need to find a guy like Abbederas who just has a knack for creating separation.

Eric Carter and Jeff Borchardt are guys being red-shirted to keep an eye on.

Add Edwards and Jeff Jones to the RB/WR group and we will be better.

I know they like Eric Carter a lot. Not terribly fast, but I think he can make some plays. We need to find a guy like Abbederas who just has a knack for creating separation.

Let's also rehab Harbison ala Michael Carter because they loved his talent when he first came on campus he was playing as a true freshman before his injury and looked good in the spring game. I've been on the Nelson bandwagon but after today he lost me a bit. His accuracy is an issue even on the balls we talk about the WRs dropping over the course of the year it's rare that he hits them in stride and most are "tough" catches. We need to recruit depth for the future but let's hope we don't rely upon freshman receivers again to play next year. The wild card is our QBs for us to take that next step. The ball Nelson threw on the play he was hurt was the one where I had to finally admit that he maybe has issue that will be tough to fix relative to accuracy.

D. Jones showed something today with his downfield blocking. Given time to learn the position, I think he will really emerge next year. They need more depth and for Harbison to figure it out or move along.

How would have the offense looked with - passing offense gets much better

Qb. Shortell. Nelson. Leidner

RB. Cobb Edwards Kirkwood

Wr engel
Wr. Barker
Wr. McDonald

Te Williams Goodyear

Wr engel
Wr. Barker
Wr. McDonald

Te Williams Goodyear

You're done. There is a reason Shortell is at Jacksonville State.

Wr engel
Wr. Barker
Wr. McDonald

Te Williams Goodyear

He's put on too much weight. Some say he is a blimp.

Wr engel
Wr. Barker
Wr. McDonald

Te Williams Goodyear

McDonald was all potential. No guarantee with that one at all.

Shortell wouldn't see the field. He is DCT to this site - remembered to be FAR better than he was.

He was a good passer and very accurate

Career Stats:
54% Completion
8 Touchdowns
7 Interceptions

Find me a good and accurate passer in those stats.

As a comparison...

Philip Nelson
51% Completion
17 Touchdowns
12 Interceptions

And most would call Phil a pretty poor passer.

Wr engel
Wr. Barker
Wr. McDonald

Te Williams Goodyear

no. just no.

Agreed that getting a Robinson (PSU), Latimer (IU), or Abbrederis type of big physical receiver would be great to add to the returning mix of Harbison, Jones, Wolitarsky, and Williams.
I have faith that Nelson will improve and be one of the better QBs in the conference his final two years.

I actually did think that Shortfall looked a lot better in the western Michigan and Syracuse games then nelson looked in any big ten games last year with the exception of the Purdue game, as for receivers Barker, McDonald, DCT all leaving and Jamel having his injury were all huge, add the Engel injury and you have 5 out of you're top 6 receivers from last year not playing for is the last 2 games for is this year, that is just decimation, I think barker was our abrederis, he was 3rd in the big ten in receiving yards, very good

McDonald was all potential. No guarantee with that one at all.

Shortell wouldn't see the field. He is DCT to this site - remembered to be FAR better than he was.

I've never read anyone give DCT a ton of kudos on this site.

The guy had a better statistical FR season than Wolitarsky, he improved a bit as a SO and he would have given us a returning veteran. It's safe to say that he would have been somewhere between #2 and #4 on our depth chart at WR (probably #2).

It's not that anyone was enamored with DCT, most of us were just rightfully concerned about having to rely on 2 FR and a guy coming off a major injury to play significant time at WR.

To the main point of this thread. . .

I would be completely in favor of adding a JuCo WR, if Kill found one he thought could contribute. However, I really hope we don't have to count on a true FR WR. I really hope we can get something out of Wolitarsky, Jones, Carter, Harbison, Maye, and Fruechte.

We also have a slew of w/o WRs (Marmer (Air Force transfer), Borchardt (a guy I thought was dynamic in HS), Smith (good size PWO). . .

It's not ideal, I just think there is a much better chance that some of those guys take a huge step ala Engel/Barker than us landing a dynamic true FR WR.

Top Bottom