Building something special on defense

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
I'm proud of the way the defense played this entire season. 8-4 record...defense probably played well enough to be a 10-2 team. I'm excited to see this team grow as Kill and Claeys continue to build and mold this defense into a very tough B1G defense in the next few seasons.

Goals this year:

Play good defense and run the football. Next year's goals. Play good defense, run the football, develop a passing game. I can't see why this won't happen.

I love the 8 and 9 minutes drives, when we get better personnel and finish off those drives with TD's we will be something special. This team is being built the right way. they are really developing nicely.

We had the ball for 38 minutes today.

We did everything we needed to win. Almost.

Completely agree. I'm curious/worried what will happen to the D next year losing Hageman, Hill, Vereen, Manuel, Roland Johnson, etc leave. Some pretty big holes (particularly the first 4). Hopefully the system catches hold a little better and players develop..

We had the ball for 38 minutes today.

We did everything we needed to win. Almost.

It was an easy pitch and catch for the td on the drive we got the field goal, but a defensive lineman made a better play for MSU. Sure was happy with our defense though. The stop on 4th down was inspiring. We played fantastic on defense the last 2 weeks. We just need offensive playmakers...

I'm proud of the way the defense played this entire season. 8-4 record...defense probably played well enough to be a 10-2 team. I'm excited to see this team grow as Kill and Claeys continue to build and mold this defense into a very tough B1G defense in the next few seasons.

Defense was very solid all year, statistically not the greatest but on the field they did enough to give the offense a chance to win in most games. Will be interesting to see how the defense takes shape next year because many of the key guys on that side of the ball are graduating. Going to be a lot of pressure on some guys to step up and fill some big shoes especially at the defensive tackle position.

Defense was very solid all year, statistically not the greatest but on the field they did enough to give the offense a chance to win in most games. Will be interesting to see how the defense takes shape next year because many of the key guys on that side of the ball are graduating. Going to be a lot of pressure on some guys to step up and fill some big shoes especially at the defensive tackle position.

There was a lot of pressure on some guys to step up this year. That's what happens in college football.

We need more speed guys. M.ST. seemed to be faster on the perimeter than we were.

I'd like us to be more stout on 1st drives of each game and half. Claeys gets more aggressive as the game goes, but it doesn't help if you are are already down. Of course a better offense would help.

Completely agree. I'm curious/worried what will happen to the D next year losing Hageman, Hill, Vereen, Manuel, Roland Johnson, etc leave. Some pretty big holes (particularly the first 4). Hopefully the system catches hold a little better and players develop..

those guys aren't that big of a loss, hageman is but everybody else is replaceable, i don't see our D making a huge stride next year like our O did from last year to this year but i don't see a drop in performance either, i think we will make a tiny bit of improvement with another year of Kill's recruits being implemented into the system of another year of brewster's recruits graduating, not saying that Brewster's recruits were bad, just that Kill's recruits fit better into Kill's defense then Brewster's recruits fit into Kill's defense, but anyways last year we lost our 2 best DBs in Carter and Stoudenmire, are 2 best LBs in Rallis and Cooper and arguably our best D lineman in DL Wilhite and we didn't have a drop in performance, we actually got a little bit better and this year just like last year we lose our 2 best LBs, our best D lineman, but this time only one of our starting DBs, i think losing Shede but still having Thieren is similar to losing Wilhite but still having Rashede

those guys aren't that big of a loss, hageman is but everybody else is replaceable, i don't see our D making a huge stride next year like our O did from last year to this year but i don't see a drop in performance either, i think we will make a tiny bit of improvement with another year of Kill's recruits being implemented into the system of another year of brewster's recruits graduating, not saying that Brewster's recruits were bad, just that Kill's recruits fit better into Kill's defense then Brewster's recruits fit into Kill's defense, but anyways last year we lost our 2 best DBs in Carter and Stoudenmire, are 2 best LBs in Rallis and Cooper and arguably our best D lineman in DL Wilhite and we didn't have a drop in performance, we actually got a little bit better and this year just like last year we lose our 2 best LBs, our best D lineman, but this time only one of our starting DBs, i think losing Shede but still having Thieren is similar to losing Wilhite but still having Rashede

Vereen? He held our D together this year.

i mentioned losing him but my point is that lots of people thought there would be a big drop off in our secondary with the loses of Carter and Stoudenmire but there wasn't, new guys stepped in, and losing Vereen for next year is less of a loss then losing Carter and Stoudenmire for this year

Good teams play seniors and lose them every year. We will lose more and more starters every year…lots of them, but it is depth that Kill is developing and he will have better and better replacements every year. We will improve each year as we don't have to burn as many redshirts and are able to play 5th year seniors. As we get better, we'll get better recruits and PWOs. This thing is only going to improve as long as Kill is running the show.

I think the defense takes another step forward next year, if for no other reason than one of the MAIN reasons it took a step forward this year; continued improvement of the offense.

I'd be shocked if they don't pick up one, maybe two guys from the JUCO ranks that could start in the defensive front 7 next year. Wilson was just a HUGE addition this year and going 8-4, hopefully 9-4, will make it a LOT easier to land a couple impact JUCO guys.

The next nine months will be critical for guys like Ekpe, Ekpe, Timms, Keith, et al. Scott Ekpe has played a lot of football over the last few years. I see him taking a nice step forward next year. Some spot production from someone like Legania would be great.

I think the defense will be just fine next year. BBC returning to the level he was playing before he got hurt would be GREAT as well. Fingers crossed!!

He's definitely a loss. But I like our safeties. Vareen was forced to play out of position. I'm hoping our CBs can continue to develop (Murray, Wells), comeback healthy (BBC), and youngsters develop (Myrick), and any Jucos or recruits.

We have been fortunate to see our staff's vision on defense. Besides Boddy-Calhoun, we've avoided any major injuries and we haven't lost any defensive players due to attrition. Our staff has done a great job of replacing SRs. At this time last year, a lot of us were worried about losing Carter, Stoud, and a slew of LBers (not that they were great, but the replacements were unknowns).

Hageman is borderline irreplaceable. Our program isn't going to have another 1st round talent in the wings, but we have some guys who've played well for us at DT. Vereen will be missed, but we have a lot of depth at the safety position.

We have quite a bit of depth throughout the defense. I really think guys like Travis, Johnson, Myrick and Campbell are going to break out next season.

He's definitely a loss. But I like our safeties. Vareen was forced to play out of position. I'm hoping our CBs can continue to develop (Murray, Wells), comeback healthy (BBC), and youngsters develop (Myrick), and any Jucos or recruits.

I don't think Vareen was out of position, I think one of his best attributes is that he is a safety who can cover AND a corner who can play some safety. His versatility is one of his best attributes.

But I agree with you, I like our safeties.

I think the defense takes another step forward next year, if for no other reason than one of the MAIN reasons it took a step forward this year; continued improvement of the offense.

I'd be shocked if they don't pick up one, maybe two guys from the JUCO ranks that could start in the defensive front 7 next year. Wilson was just a HUGE addition this year and going 8-4, hopefully 9-4, will make it a LOT easier to land a couple impact JUCO guys.

The next nine months will be critical for guys like Ekpe, Ekpe, Timms, Keith, et al. Scott Ekpe has played a lot of football over the last few years. I see him taking a nice step forward next year. Some spot production from someone like Legania would be great.

I think the defense will be just fine next year. BBC returning to the level he was playing before he got hurt would be GREAT as well. Fingers crossed!!

Good post.

Wilson's impact on our defense at MLB was huge this year. I'm not taking a shot at Mike Rallis, but he was such an improvement over the previous year. He's a legitimate Big 10 caliber MLB. I'm excited to see him next season.

As you pointed out, we have a lot of guy who've played a lot returning. It's a prime time for Scott Ekpe to step up, Botticelli is returning and the depth chart is opening up for Timms and Peppers to make an impact.

DT is a concern for me next year. Ekpe and Botticelli back, but losing Hags and Johnson will hurt. Have to get something from Peppers, Hinojosa, Timms, somebody.

Hill and Manuel were solid this year, but I don't think irreplaceable. Secondary will miss Vereen, but again, not irreplaceable.

Overall, I think we'll be okay. If we can maintain from this year, I'd be thrilled.

I don't think Vareen was out of position, I think one of his best attributes is that he is a safety who can cover AND a corner who can play some safety. His versatility is one of his best attributes.

But I agree with you, I like our safeties.

I agree his versatility helped out D a lot! I just think he is a better safety than corner (not that he is bad at either).

Speaking of versatility - do you see any of the current safeties than can play some corner? We have great depth and safety but a little shaky a corner. I can picture a lot of 3 safety sets with Thompson, Johnson, Travis.

Is Hinojosa going to be a RS Sophomore next season?

We have been fortunate to see our staff's vision on defense. Besides Boddy-Calhoun, we've avoided any major injuries and we haven't lost any defensive players due to attrition. Our staff has done a great job of replacing SRs. At this time last year, a lot of us were worried about losing Carter, Stoud, and a slew of LBers (not that they were great, but the replacements were unknowns).

Hageman is borderline irreplaceable. Our program isn't going to have another 1st round talent in the wings, but we have some guys who've played well for us at DT. Vereen will be missed, but we have a lot of depth at the safety position.

We have quite a bit of depth throughout the defense. I really think guys like Travis, Johnson, Myrick and Campbell are going to break out next season.

we won't have a first round DT for a while if that is what you're talking about, but we could have a first round talent in 2 years if you're talking about the entire defense, the coaches have said that Devondre Cambell has just as much potential as Ra'Shede and could definitely play in the NFL, and i like i said before when NFL scouts come to watch Rashede they also have been noticing Eric Murray as well, and i think Theiren might play at the next level as well, as for offseason workouts i would say it is very important for Theiren, Alex Keith, both Ekpe's and Devondre Cambell since those are all young very athletic guys that haven't filled out their frames just yet

How important was Manuel this year? Studwell pointed out in a different thread that Campbell just looked completely lost on most plays. Manuel stepping up was just plain huge. Campbell needs to come a long ways between now and next August.

If that happens, and they pick up one (is two too much to ask?) JUCO that makes as much of an impact as Wilson did this year, this will be one stout defense next season.

I'm just a huge fan of Wilson. I said at the beginning of the season that the success of the Gophers this season hinged a lot on how good he would be and he was everywhere. All over the field, always around the ball. Really, all three LBs were really good all season

I think our depth will enable us to come into next year rock solid on D:

DL: Hinijosa I thought stood out in the spring game and if they red-shirted him this year they likely feel he has good potential. We'll miss Shede, but honestly did he even play 50% of the snaps? Our DT spot should be solid with Hinojosa, Epke and Botticelli likely the top performers. At DE, all our guys are back with another year in the weight room. Have to give them credit they held the edge better toward the end of the year and we should see this group take a big step forward next year.

LB: I think Lynn takes Hill's spot and plays some alongside Wilson. Campbell should take a big step up and then we have Laster and Rallis who likely will be in the rotation, too. We have some young depth here but a JUCO certainly couldn't hurt to help us out with depth if nothing else. Wilson will be our most important player to keep healthy next year. He was a godsend to our squad and he may be an all conference type player next year.

DB: Murray had a rough game Saturday but he's overall obviously been very good. I don't hold Wells' health issues against him (he had a laceration last year that's just a fluke: although Cobb had one Saturday, too) and I thought he stepped up against Mich State like a champ. The kids is a good player and I think he'll be a ball hawk next year at the corner opposite Murray. BBC comes back to play the nickel and Myrick is in the mix. Not a lot of depth and if BBC falters at all in his recovery cornerback will be talented, but thin. That said, never in my lifetime have we had safeties on the roster like we do now. Thompson is a bit up and down but overall he likely slides right into Vereen's spot as the leader of the bunch. He'll have to work hard though because Johnson is a ridiculous tackler and overall a solid player and Travis isn't far behind. Both of those youngsters are better against the run than pass but they'll continue to improve and I think Johnson is a multiple year All Conference type athlete and attitude. Levine is a solid depth player and let's hope McGhee is as good as advertised.

Not a lot of holes anywhere from what I can tell and we likely will have some kids come up and surprise everyone after another year in the program. Dicke or Wipson at LBer, Legania, Peppers, Salzwedel on the DL, etc.

If that happens, and they pick up one (is two too much to ask?) JUCO that makes as much of an impact as Wilson did this year, this will be one stout defense next season.

I have heard that you don't have to worry about only getting one.

I think Christian Russell is almost a done deal & I'd be shocked if he didn't start at Hill's spot next year. As good as Hill has been I don't think Russell will be a drop off, maybe even an upgrade, he's really good.

I'd also like to think they'll bring in one mature DT to pair with Bottecelli/Ekpe & the young kids.

BBC is on schedule to be back for Fall practice, playing in non-conference & at 100% by B1G season.

I think our depth will enable us to come into next year rock solid on D:

DL: Hinijosa I thought stood out in the spring game and if they red-shirted him this year they likely feel he has good potential. We'll miss Shede, but honestly did he even play 50% of the snaps? Our DT spot should be solid with Hinojosa, Epke and Botticelli likely the top performers. At DE, all our guys are back with another year in the weight room. Have to give them credit they held the edge better toward the end of the year and we should see this group take a big step forward next year.

LB: I think Lynn takes Hill's spot and plays some alongside Wilson. Campbell should take a big step up and then we have Laster and Rallis who likely will be in the rotation, too. We have some young depth here but a JUCO certainly couldn't hurt to help us out with depth if nothing else. Wilson will be our most important player to keep healthy next year. He was a godsend to our squad and he may be an all conference type player next year.

DB: Murray had a rough game Saturday but he's overall obviously been very good. I don't hold Wells' health issues against him (he had a laceration last year that's just a fluke: although Cobb had one Saturday, too) and I thought he stepped up against Mich State like a champ. The kids is a good player and I think he'll be a ball hawk next year at the corner opposite Murray. BBC comes back to play the nickel and Myrick is in the mix. Not a lot of depth and if BBC falters at all in his recovery cornerback will be talented, but thin. That said, never in my lifetime have we had safeties on the roster like we do now. Thompson is a bit up and down but overall he likely slides right into Vereen's spot as the leader of the bunch. He'll have to work hard though because Johnson is a ridiculous tackler and overall a solid player and Travis isn't far behind. Both of those youngsters are better against the run than pass but they'll continue to improve and I think Johnson is a multiple year All Conference type athlete and attitude. Levine is a solid depth player and let's hope McGhee is as good as advertised.

Not a lot of holes anywhere from what I can tell and we likely will have some kids come up and surprise everyone after another year in the program. Dicke or Wipson at LBer, Legania, Peppers, Salzwedel on the DL, etc.

Bottecelli & Ekpe aren't a very good starting combo on paper & a bunch of guys that've never played behind them scares the heck out of me.

Of the unknowns Hinojosa looked good as you mention in the Spring game (against 2-3rd teamers), but that's not much to go on. I know the staff raved about Shoob Timms last year & someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was Defensive Scout team POY? So, he should be in the mix as well. Can Hal Legania help at all?

It's scary though in that we just won't have any beef up front with RoJo & Shede gone. Lost in the Shede hype is how good RoJo has been. Our best run stopper hands down, imo. I'm hoping we can pick up another Juco like him.

Top Bottom