***MICHIGAN STATE POST-GAME THOUGHTS THREAD***

thailleagle

Reaction score
We played about as "ok" as you can play against the #1 Defense in the entire country & also were still able to rush for over 100 yards. 3 trips to the Redzone & only 3 points hurt us but holding MSU to 14 & playing well enough (offense had some sputters but should've put up 17-21 points) to win this game but we didn't play well in clutch areas.

Overall not disappointed in how we played against arguably a Top 10 team in the country...

8-4... we've exceeded EVERYONE's expectations... can't wait to see what Bowl Game we get... :cool:

MSU was 0-8 and 0-1 on 3rd down, and 4th down.
MSU gave up an average of 59 rushing yards per game, we rushed for 124.
Time of possession was 38:41 - 21:19 in the Gopher's favor.

I agree with Grinnin' Glen's closing comment: "There is no doubt the Gopher's are heading in the right way".

I don't think you could find a poster on this board who would have been disappointed with with 8-4, 4-4 before the season began.

Let's get #9 at a great bowl game.

Overall the season was a success. The offense definitely needs some work, in particular the passing game. It is very hard to run with consistency, especially in the red zone, when you have a one dimensional offense. They need to work on the passing game more during the non-conference part of the schedule. I think the intense focus on the running game during non-con part of the schedule hurt us later on. But I am not complaining with the season - I never thought we would have finished the season 8-4.

We were two good players away on offense from representing our division in the Big Ten title game. A very good season for us.

I am satisfied. Let's hope our offense can improve over the spring.

Defense has looked fantastic. If the offense can add some playmakers they could be very good next year.

We were two good players away on offense from representing our division in the Big Ten title game. A very good season for us.

We still would have needed MSU to lose 2 games.

1. Cobb is good.
2. Donovahn Jones will be great.
3. Playing against MSU defense in real life is harder than scoring on a good D in Madden.
4. Most on GH don't realize #3

Well it was a fun regular season. We really only had two games where we really failed to compete at a high level, which is a strong step forward for where we've been lately. We clearly are several playmakers from being able to compete at a championship level, but we've got a start. Nelson, Leidner, Wolitarsky, Jones, and Williams all have 2+ years left and everyone but Nelson has 3+ years left. They all made an impact as freshman. Cobb is back as well for one more year. The QB position needs quite a bit of offseason work to improve, but more than that we need to continue finding kids that can make a difference on offense (in the Big Ten). We need to figure out how to actually improve defensively and not take a step back. Linebacker looks pretty solid for next year but we sure need defensive back help. And who will replace Hagemann? Been a fun ride, should be a good bowl game even though we'll likely be in Phoenix or Dallas, but that's alright. I'd rather get a New Year's Day Bowl when we earn it rather than when teams get bumped up. Let's hope for a solid bowl game and start getting ready for next year.

Hope the showing was good enough for the Gator Bowl, but thinking they are headed to Texas.

The defense is farther along than the offense, but the latter is not without hope. The key now is to regain momentum by winning the bowl game. Let's go into 2014 on a high.

Defense was great the last two weeks. Definitely short on polished receivers, but I've been encouraged by Jones, Wolitarski, and Williams. I disappointed with our "happy to be close" approach today. Never seemed to have the urgency to go win the game. Also think Limegrover could have put the guys in better spots to succeed today. Our receivers struggle to get separation, but it's tough to get open when you have 2 or 3 guys out running patterns against 5 defenders, and Limegrover fell in love with the 2- and 3-man routes these last two games. We also ran a lot of those plays against Iowa and Michigan, with similar results. Hopefully once the skill players get more experience, Limegrover will be more comfortable with opening up the playbook a bit.

Excited for the direction of the program! Defense is already good. They have the ability to be great over the next few seasons. The offense has an identity...power run. We were able to run the ball well, even when teams know it's coming (the offensive line impressed me). Now, we need to work on the passing game. People are rough on our QB's - but one is a true SO and the other is is RFr. They both have time to develop and improve. Add in a playmaker or two on the outside (D Jones is one....Woli looks to be a possession WR with additional upside) and the offense takes a step forward.

Overall....color me excited for our future!! SKI-U-MAH!!

Another WR and another RB would do us wonders.

Let's go fishing for a couple.

Our window is here.

Our window is here.

To be honest, we could use 4 good receivers in this class. 2 that can start next year and 2 we can redshirt.

I am lost on the bowl process. I have seen Dallas mentioned a bunch. Assuming the Big 10 gets two BCS teams, isn't Houston the worst possible destination?

To be honest, we could use 4 good receivers in this class. 2 that can start next year and 2 we can redshirt.

I meant trawling the juco ranks for immediate help if it's there.

I say roll the dice a little bit.

I'm usually against this. But we got great LB help last year.

I completely agree that this season has been a success; 8-4 feels great at the end of a regular season. It feels even better when we were competitive and in the game against Wisconsin at home, and a very solid MSU team on the road.

Regarding adding playmakers, I actually feel pretty good about our two true freshmen WR's, Jones and Wolitarsky, and Maxx having the ability to make plays, when given the chance. Just today Jones made a great one-handed catch, and had at least one other big 3rd down catch that kept a drive alive. Wolitarsky made the catches when the ball was thrown his way.

In reality, we need more consistent play out of QB's. Nelson has missed wide open receivers in multiple games, and Mitch tends to hold on to the ball too long... leaving him open to getting hit and fumbling (today's fumble was tough, as the arm with the ball was pulled as he was going down). In addition, with some exceptions, our QB's haven't been consistent in hitting receivers in stride. Too often our WR's have to make major adjustments to try and make catches.

That being said, both QB's are VERY young and overall have played pretty well. I see the ability in both players to be able to make plays on the ground and in the air, and both guys are competitors. I am optimistic that we will see both players improve between now and the bowl game, with another jump between the bowl and next season.

One minor quibble I have with our offense; we don't seem to ever run plays that include a slant/short crossing route that would allow the QB to throw the ball quickly. D. Jones, KJ Maye (and Harbison if he can escape the doghouse) all are capable of making yards after the catch. Hopefully Limegrover will add some kind of wrinkle into the offense to keep defenses honest when they pin their ears back and rush the QB.

All in all, the future sure does look bright. It's a GREAT time to be a Gopher fan!!!

MSU was 0-8 and 0-1 on 3rd down, and 4th down.
MSU gave up an average of 59 rushing yards per game, we rushed for 124.
Time of possession was 38:41 - 21:19 in the Gopher's favor.

I agree with Grinnin' Glen's closing comment: "There is no doubt the Gopher's are heading in the right way".

I don't think you could find a poster on this board who would have been disappointed with with 8-4, 4-4 before the season began.

Let's get #9 at a great bowl game.

I imagine there are some, but I can't imagine why they'd feel that way.

Had a bunch of hiccups on offense, but the defense played pretty well. I said in chat that the coaches have done most of what they can do and now the guys they have will have to play faster and we'll have to recruit better athletes for the skilled positions. We can't seem to "counterpunch" very well when the opposition takes away our first option when we're on offense or recover well on defense when the opposing offense throws a wrinkle at us.

I'm really optimistic. I think Kill has the right system in place and it just needs to be elevated a bit across the board.

are offense isn't far off at all we managed to get into their own 15 yard line three times, there is not much more i can ask of our O then that, we didn't convert those trips into points but i was still very impressed with how well we moved the ball on the best defense in the country, we actually had 17 first downs while MSU only had 15, and our D was lights out, i think our O could average 40 points a game next year

With the two players Gopherguy0723 mentioned, we might not have lost to Iowa.

Hard to say 2 players would have made that big of a difference. I guess we would never know.

My issues after today.

1. Can our QB's throw a guy open? Need to lead players to an open spot.
2. Are our WR's athletic enough to go get the ball if lead to an open spot?

Our window is here.

I thought there were times today that a quick hitter would have been effective. Run plays were a little slow at times with Cobb. I hope that Edwards or Jones are the answer in the years to come. We need a 2nd back with some change of pace. I agree, let's go fishing.

Can't help but be excited about the direction of our guys. Big games like this we still have to almost play flawless football to win...no penalties, no turnovers, make filed goals, etc., but compared to last year or the year before?!

Hopefully, playing two teams like WI and MSU at the end of the year will help us in the bowl game. Go Gophers!

I agree and One was not having Derrick Engel for the last two games. Our offense was rolling with him. He really opened up the field with his speed and big plays. Also losing Bak is a loss as he was having a nice season.

Why does this Bozo on wcco am keep saying the Gophers finished the season 8-4.....5-4 in the Big Ten?

I think he has said it three times now.

The young skilled players played well today and show great promise. They (4,82,84) all made plays in the 4th quarter. The 8 minute drive in 4th quarter was awesome. The skilled players may already be here!

If the defense can maintain the improvement, Gophers should be fun next year.

No matter if you took them on Monday or right before the kick-off, the Gophers covered.

Our defense looked great. The effort they have given the last two weeks.

Our offense has not looked very good. I know we have played tough defenses, but two games with no offensive touchdowns is unacceptable. Red zone play today was terrible. Notwithstanding the quality of defenses against us, we seem to struggle horribly hitting open receivers. Our offense seems to play quite well against bad to medium defenses, but struggle against strong defenses. That last sentence sounds like an obvious one, but I don't just mean that we put up less yards and points against good defenses. What I mean is that the best defenses we have played against this season seem to shut us down even more than they do against other opponents.

Top Bottom