Student v. student chant-hating? Seriously?

parkinglotgopher

Gentleman and Scholar
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that the guys at the front of 110 are trying to get the students involved, and that’s great. By and large, you guys are solid. But I have some beef too, and everyone foolish enough to click on this thread gets to hear about it.

[rant]
The “You buddy, you hack” is allegedly a hockey chant. First off, I’ve been told by a couple old-timers that it’s a basketball cheer borrowed by hockey. Regardless, I get it. The “you’re outta here” part doesn’t make sense for basketball. Who cares? I couldn’t believe it when a a horde of students were doing the cheer - also known as getting involved - and the front rows were yelling about it being a hockey chant. If you don’t want to do it, fine, but the band starts the cheer. Are we going to go up to them and ask them to stop as well? As I said, the guys up in front are doing some great work trying to amp up the crowd, getting people cheering and chanting, and that’s appreciated. But why would you want to quelch a cheer? Because you don’t like it? The whole thing seems kind of weird to me. It’s getting people involved - isn't that the objective? Why does it matter that one line doesn’t make sense? Are you worried the announcers on ESPN2 were going to say, “And the Minnesota student section just did a chant, and a line in the middle told the Virginia player he was ‘outta there.’ That doesn’t make sense at all! What the hell is wrong with these kids and this school??”

The irony was palpable when, after complaining that one cheer is “a hockey chant,” the front rows tried to get "Rock and Roll Part Two" (aka "The 'Hey' Song") started late in the game with the alternating vertical/horizontal clap. That is also a hockey thing, one that has no roots with Minnesota basketball at all, but one that is apparently acceptable.
[/rant]

Don't you understand, the front row people are there for themselves and to be the center of attention.

The band (at least, when I was in it a few years ago) says "You buddy, you're busted, you hack"

Makes more sense, keeps the cheer, everybody happy!

"You buddy, you're busted, you hack"

It's my understanding that this is the original cheer. The "you're busted" changed to "you're outta here" for the sake of hockey.

It was your busted in the early 90s through the end of the Clem era.

We (the band) were saying busted until at least the 06-07 season (my last year). Didn't think about the Clem connection ... may not be the best word choice, then.

Don't you understand, the front row people are there for themselves and to be the center of attention.

Duh! Little do you know our sense of insecurity. I've been an opponent of the cheer (as you know, plg4), mainly because I'm sure we could think of something better, and equal parts because of the words and lack of involvement in the chant.

But really, we can't think of anything better? Considering how many smart kids we have here, one would think that we could think of something new. Of course, now come undoubtedly the posts about how I haven't come up with anything yet.

I'll let you know the next time I declare myself a superfan and sit in the front row.

Hahahaha I agree with Gorton's...just stop talking while you're ahead (but you're really not, so I don't know why I said that).

How about next time you come up to the front row and say something about it instead of sitting in the back picking your nose or whatever you do back there?

Also PLG I know you do the chant and I'll admit I'm very against it. I don't care about what happened in the 90s for the chant, does history of chants mean anything to the majority of the students? No. And the majority of us see it as a hockey chant and know it as that.

Does it matter that the band starts it? Just because the band starts it doesn't mean it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. That chant should just go away for basketball, due to the stupidity of it for basketball and the lack of crowd participation.

I'm all for some chant for fouls, just not that one. If the band is going to be almighty, they should think of something different that the rest of the crowd would actually participate in.

It's the Hypocrisy

First of all, whoever WAS sitting in the very front and mocking the National Anthem. Shame On You. And don't ever do it again.

Second of all, do you not understand what you're doing? You all say, it's a hockey chant... and then you start up a chant that I've ONLY EVER heard at Hockey games. It's the hypocrisy that is mind boggling.

Why not start it up if the band AND the cheerleaders are doing it? Are you attempting to prove that you're too cool for what they do? Hell, it makes it so much easier to be loud if the band is included, doesn't it?

And yes, HACK is a BASKETBALL term. "Outta here" was ADDED on so it could be applied to hockey.
The lack of crowd participation thing doesn't make sense either, because lots of students don't know the "eat'em up, eat'em up" deal, but we still do it anyway. Should we stop because the majority of students don't know it? Absolutely not.

BTW, PLG nice programming syntax.

Agree to disagree I guess

If people know the chant and embrace it, why try to stop it? You said it yourself, you don't like it and the small group around you doesn't like it. While that's fine, my post had nothing to do with people not doing the chant or trying to spread it further. I'm just curious what valid reason, other than personal distaste, you'd have for turning around while others are chanting and trying to quash the cheer and quiet everyone down? Personally, I don't like chanting "poop, poop, poop" at someone getting ready to shoot free throws. I don't yell down to those participating, telling them to stop and trying to impose my will on what I think the student section should and shouldn't do. I just don't chant along. Those who enjoy it still chant and have fun with it.

The overall point here is, I'm for anything that gets people involved and yelling at the game, whether I'm into it or not. I feel like that should be everyone's perspective on this - if people are chanting and cheering, that's a good thing. As I said before, I don't have any personal beef with any of the regulars down at the front of Section 110. You guys show up early, get loud and are passionate about fan involvement and the team. I can respect all those things. I just find it to be misguided to try and deter students from doing a chant (which, regardless of my opinion or yours, is going to continue as long as students know it and see the band start it) that they already know and enjoy.

But, if you're not swayed, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess, because you're not going to convince me that yelling at people that a chant they all know is "a hockey chant" and implying they should stop just for this (misguided/erroneous) reason is good for fan involvement.

If people know the chant and embrace it, why try to stop it? You said it yourself, you don't like it and the small group around you doesn't like it. While that's fine, my post had nothing to do with people not doing the chant or trying to spread it further. I'm just curious what valid reason, other than personal distaste, you'd have for turning around while others are chanting and trying to quash the cheer and quiet everyone down? Personally, I don't like chanting "poop, poop, poop" at someone getting ready to shoot free throws. I don't yell down to those participating, telling them to stop and trying to impose my will on what I think the student section should and shouldn't do. I just don't chant along. Those who enjoy it still chant and have fun with it.

The overall point here is, I'm for anything that gets people involved and yelling at the game, whether I'm into it or not. I feel like that should be everyone's perspective on this - if people are chanting and cheering, that's a good thing. As I said before, I don't have any personal beef with any of the regulars down at the front of Section 110. You guys show up early, get loud and are passionate about fan involvement and the team. I can respect all those things. I just find it to be misguided to try and deter students from doing a chant (which, regardless of my opinion or yours, is going to continue as long as students know it and see the band start it) that they already know and enjoy.

But, if you're not swayed, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess, because you're not going to convince me that yelling at people that a chant they all know is "a hockey chant" and implying they should stop just for this (misguided/erroneous) reason is good for fan involvement.

Very valid points, and we'll just agree to disagree on this one. I think it's great that people are getting involved, but I also think that we can think of something better than that.

Apparently Gorton's thinks he is the only person in the first couple rows and therefore is above all of us as Gopher fans. I did not understand the Hockey chant at all...the only time I ever heard that Hey! You suck chant at a basketball game was last years road trip to Ann Arbor, but that was without the clapping.

I appreciate the first couple rows of the student section, and think they are great fans and cheer great, but the holier-than-thou attitude is really wearing thin. You aren't the only ones who go to all the games or show up early. Quit acting like the rest of the student section are sheep for you to herd. If you offend people with the national anthem, apologize and say it wasn't intended, don't dig in your heels and try to take the high road. I know not everyone in the Barnyard are devoted fans, but at least respect that there are some sitting in the rows behind you who live and breathe Gopher basketball.

Other than that, keep up the good work cheering! I respect what you are doing, and I will like anyone who loves the Gophers with such committment.

Apparently Gorton's thinks he is the only person in the first couple rows and therefore is above all of us as Gopher fans. I did not understand the Hockey chant at all...the only time I ever heard that Hey! You suck chant at a basketball game was last years road trip to Ann Arbor, but that was without the clapping.

I appreciate the first couple rows of the student section, and think they are great fans and cheer great, but the holier-than-thou attitude is really wearing thin. You aren't the only ones who go to all the games or show up early. Quit acting like the rest of the student section are sheep for you to herd. If you offend people with the national anthem, apologize and say it wasn't intended, don't dig in your heels and try to take the high road. I know not everyone in the Barnyard are devoted fans, but at least respect that there are some sitting in the rows behind you who live and breathe Gopher basketball.

Other than that, keep up the good work cheering! I respect what you are doing, and I will like anyone who loves the Gophers with such committment.

It's not being all high and mighty refusing to apologize for something you didn't do. I'll apologize on behalf of the tools who did so though. In other news, we won the game and everyone insists on making a big deal out of crap like this, UNBELIEVABLE.

Well, it is kind of a big deal when people are mocking the national anthem don't you think?
In light of people getting upset (including myself) over the National Anthem debacle, we will do our best to shut the mouths of those who are partaking.

This thread, initially, was intended to reach a compromise among those in the student section. I think it has happened, and we've reached an understanding.

You really, really don't get it do you. You come in here last weekend and criticise the student section for being bad fans, you then go embarass the student section and show no accountability for your actions on a night that measured by all other criteria was a grand success for the student section, and then when you get called out for your stupidity, you go right back to your holier than thou "all the other fans suck but us nonsense".

And as for the rest of the crowd, especially who have fans near the court, you know how they got those seats? By having tickets for longer than you have been alive. They have stuck through rough times that make two years ago look like a cake walk. Are they jumping up and down constantly? Heck no, a lot of them could be your grand parents, and trust me, they would if they could, but just because they don't mean they don't about the team. For a lot of them, just getting to the game is a bigger sacrafice than you getting to the game early or ridiculous pants. They aren't zombies. They are every bit of a Gopher fan as you, and just happen to have been Gopher fans longer than you've been a glimmer in your parents eyes.

You can't let anything die without trying to prove to everyone that even though you sit in the corner and pick your nose you are still a fan. I pity you :) BTW, those zombies we are referring to? Those are students like you who sit in the back and don't do anything, not the season ticket holders along the sidelines. This is getting ridiculous, your two cents are worthless.

Who said I sit in a corner?

And if you weren't oblivious to what was going on in the rest of the student section last night, you wouldn't be calling anyone zombies.

Agree with PLG all the time.

Just another reason why to keep doing the current foul chant: People know it. Plain and simple. Starting a new chant takes lots of coordination and trying to accomplish that across a large student section in a noisy arena isn't exactly a walk in the park. I'd rather have everyone doing a cheer they know together than to have it be quiet or there to be several different cheers occurring.

I'm also not a fan of the "poop" chant and choose not to participate. You may choose not to participate in the foul chant, but please don't discourage others from doing so.

Wow, this is getting intense.

First, there is a "poop" chant? That sounds super lame.

Second, you don't have to like the "You buddy!" chant, but its ridiculous to turn around and mock our own student section for using it. If people want to do it, let them. If you start something better that more people use, great.

Third, I do think that the "you're busted" should be substituted in as it always was when I was a student ('02-'06). That way, the hockey connotation goes away.

It does seem a little bit like the first couple rows are getting somewhat condescending. You seem like good guys and have the right intentions, and I understand that you have made it through some tough years. But those years I had student tickets weren't exactly the best of times either, and many of us were there for every game, just like you are now. I can NEVER remembering mocking our own section for doing a chant that has been a part of Barnyard tradition for years. So it is used in hockey too...so what? Apparently you "superfans" weren't even aware that there were different words to the basketball cheer. Don't participate...fine. But don't mock. That just makes you look dumb and turns people off to the whole experience.

Call me crude, but I still miss the "worthless piece of.........."

Sadly (or for the better) it ended when I was in bball band.

There is ONE rule to cheering...DON'T STOP CHEERS!

Well, maybe there's two rules, "poop" should not be involved in any cheer, but that's just my opinion. Seriously - this is one of the most ridiculous threads I've ever read.

If people know the chant and embrace it, why try to stop it?

PLG is on the money...why on earth would you EVER stop a cheer? Do you know how many cheers have gotten lost over the years? A lot. Do you know how many have started? Not many. We have this amazing arena, that is so unique and filled with history, why try to stop that?

Tubbytown - your comment about thinking of something better is a great idea in theory. But what you may fail to understand is that it's a lot more difficult than you would think. I was involved with the Barnyard board for 3 years, during that time, we tried everything, cheer leaders, with posters, cheer signs, putting cheer of the game (a new one) on every Gazette. We also had "write a new cheer contests" and gave away free student tickets to the winners. You know how many of those new cheers stuck. Ummm...I think none. Come to think of it, I think it was Buck the Fadgers that started the Go, go, go, GO-PHERS (to the same tune as the D,D,D, D-Fense) cheer...and that is the only new one I can think of in the past 5 years that is regularly used, and people actually join in on.

I think it's great that there are 2000+ kids in the student section now, but honestly, I think there were times when the small section of 300 cheered louder and much more in sync 2004-05 than they do now. I really don't get this rift, and why just about every school in the nation can do a simple thing like cheer for their teams, in sync, and we simply can't? I may not know the solution to this issue, nor do I care to solve it anymore, but I do know snapping at fellow fans is not the answer.

Top Bottom