And we think we have a nasty rivalry with Wisconsin?

GameDay

Reaction score
Not sure if anybody tuned into the Egg Bowl between Ole Miss and Mississippi State, but that rivalry is x5 as hostile as any Gophers vs Badgers rivalry is. And not in a healthy way. MSST edged out Ole Miss tonight, and here's what took place after the game.
-Ole Miss fans are reverting to calling MSST students a bunch of stupid losers who didn't/couldn't get accepted to Ole Miss.
-Mississippi State students firing back and calling black Ole Miss students the dreaded n-word
-other name calling going on (whore, dumba$$, b****, etc) and friendships between students of each school being torn apart (not kidding)

*That's just not normal.... It makes our rivalry look alot better/healthier to take part in.

Our rivalries are all watered down significantly by our most recent bout of ineptitude. I don't think Michigan gets excited at all about the jug it's pretty ho-hum. The Badgers wanted the fun of chopping at both our goal posts with the cool axe but realistically the probably get more up for four or so other games each year. The Penn State trophy is contrived. The one team we have what could be classified as a legit rivalry with now is the Hawks. We have beaten then enough recently. Hopefully, we can get good enough to where these other teams actually consider us rivals going forward.

The Badgers wanted the fun of chopping at both our goal posts with the cool axe but realistically the probably get more up for four or so other games each year.

Disagree. There is a reason we didn't want to be in the Eastern Division (was it Legends or Leaders?). Minnesota, Iowa, and (now) Nebraska are the games I want to play each year. MSU, OSU, and Michigan are fine for the rotate-in games and in a good year we would play one of them in the CCG.

That said, younger fans might think differently.

In-state rivalries are always more intense. You have to live with your rivals for the next 364 days after the game, win or lose.

In-state rivalries are always more intense. You have to live with your rivals for the next 364 days after the game, win or lose.

We have to live with our rivals 365 days a year also because they move here in droves to escape their respective home states.

We have to live with our rivals 365 days a year also because they move here in droves to escape their respective home states.
yeah and it makes the twin cities far more interesting because of it. If you want to be a big time metro area, learn to live with transplants they move here and end up loving the twin cities. It has nothing to do with the gophers.

Ha yes so true. All our local rivals have to move here to get decent jobs.

What do you call a U of Wisconsin graduate? A Madison resident. What do you call an employed U of Wisconsin graduate? A Minneapolis / St. Paul resident.

What do you call a U of Wisconsin graduate? A Madison resident. What do you call an employed U of Wisconsin graduate? A Minneapolis / St. Paul resident.

The property values in the neighborhood go way down.

Brilliant take. I believe you're confusing this with the logic that every Minnesota sports team needs a new stadium.
Not the point. Gopher fans rip on all the rivals, many being badgers, when transplants add a lot to the city. Really short sided and bitter to rip people for wanting it settle in your city. It is the highest compliment the twin cities can get.

Not the point. Gopher fans rip on all the rivals, many being badgers, when transplants add a lot to the city. Really short sided and bitter to rip people for wanting it settle in your city. It is the highest compliment the twin cities can get.

I do give them credit for that. When you explain to them they moved from one of the crap hole states that surround our border they don't have a response. I am able to pick them out like a sore thumb however. Oh that up in the sky, that is a jet airplane.

I do give them credit for that. When you explain to them they moved from one of the crap hole states that surround our border they don't have a response. I am able to pick them out like a sore thumb however. Oh that up in the sky, that is a jet airplane.
always chuckled at this. I am from Chicago, went to college at uw Madison, and have lived here for twenty plus years. I love the twin cities, but if you don't live in the twin cities, the states are awfully similar with slightly different ancestry but identical geography compared to Wisconsin. The elitism in minnesota is funny and frankly, should only be used if you actually live in the cities. For that matter, the nice suburbs are no better or worse than the Madison or Milwaukee suburbs and the rural areas are the same. I hate the suburbs and wouldn't live in either set of burbs. Minneapolis blows away anything Milwaukee has although I have heard it is improved.

The jobs are already here, which is why people move to the Twin Cities. If the jobs were not here, the Twin Cities would be a colder Omaha. Is that right? I'm sorry. I don't follow your logic, but admittedly, I'm not very bright. Sorry if I'm being extremely "short-sided" in my views.

The internet, which makes it easier for fans to rip each other at a safe distance, has definitely turned up the heat on the Gopher-Badger rivalry. I'd add that the twenty year run Wisconsin is on has also increased the bitterness. When the two teams were on more even footing in the 70s and 80s, things were a bit less intense. The performance gap lately has upped Wisconsin fan arrogance while, to be honest, Minnesota fans are upset by both Wisconsin arrogance and its success level. As a result, it's probably worse than ever.

Top Bottom