STrib: Wolitarsky takes a hands-on approach by necessity as Gophers receiver

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

“Donovahn and Drew are going to be special players, and I think they’ll do it sooner rather than later,” Gophers coach Jerry Kill said, noting that Wolitarsky already looks the part at 6-3, 227 pounds. “That strength and size is what you want in the Big Ten, and Donovahn Jones is probably 6-3, 205.

“I think I’d seen Minnesota play like twice in my life because I remember their uniforms looked like USC’s,” Wolitarsky said. “But I didn’t even know which conference they were in.

“So I looked it up on my phone and found out they were in the Big Ten, and they played Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State — all these big teams.

“So I looked into it more, looked at the school, looked at the campus and it looked really awesome. I came out here on a visit, and I loved it.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/233789241.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Too slow. Today, anyway.

If we didn't have a future NFL tight end on our roster, I'd say move him there.

Too slow. Today, anyway.

If we didn't have a future NFL tight end on our roster, I'd say move him there.

We shall soon see as his career progresses.

Some players have the it factor, and they don't necessarily have to be the fastest player on the field. They just have to have good football instincts, attitude, and sure hands.

You never know how players as advertise are going to turn out. From what little I see, me thinks he and Donohvan have bright futures if they work hard at it. Of course, we can say this about every recruit. Until they consistently win a starting spot during practices and keep their noses to the grind stone, they are just potentials.

Agreed.

It's just that he probably shouldn't be on the field right now.

Certainly not his fault!

Looking forward to watching him mature.

Was Eric Decker all that fast?

was about to say this also. decker ran a 4.54 at the combine. wolit a 4.67. he should be able (given its accurate and i'm not here for stupid pissing matches on the subject) to get down towards that given some time in the weight room.

per Joe:

“Donovahn and Drew are going to be special players, and I think they’ll do it sooner rather than later,” Gophers coach Jerry Kill said, noting that Wolitarsky already looks the part at 6-3, 227 pounds. “That strength and size is what you want in the Big Ten, and Donovahn Jones is probably 6-3, 205.

“I think I’d seen Minnesota play like twice in my life because I remember their uniforms looked like USC’s,” Wolitarsky said. “But I didn’t even know which conference they were in.

“So I looked it up on my phone and found out they were in the Big Ten, and they played Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State — all these big teams.

“So I looked into it more, looked at the school, looked at the campus and it looked really awesome. I came out here on a visit, and I loved it.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/233789241.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Pac-12-Uniform-USC.png

He's not too slow. He will be fine and will catch over 100 balls for us in his career.

was about to say this also. decker ran a 4.54 at the combine. wolit a 4.67. he should be able (given its accurate and i'm not here for stupid pissing matches on the subject) to get down towards that given some time in the weight room.
I can name bunch of receivers that aren't "fast" by football standards. Straight-line speed is great if you're Randy Moss and running a fly pattern on the plays when you choose to try. Being strong and elusive enough to separate yourself from a DB are far more important. Not having hands of stone helps too.

There's being fast and playing fast.

Drew will start to play faster as he gets more comfortable and confident.

Dajon McKnight was slow as hell. But he was a really good football player and learned how to be extremely effective.

Decker was not gifted with amazing speed, but he played very, very fast. He was strong and efficient and made quick decisions. That's how you play fast.

I can name bunch of receivers that aren't "fast" by football standards. Straight-line speed is great if you're Randy Moss and running a fly pattern on the plays when you choose to try. Being strong and elusive enough to separate yourself from a DB are far more important. Not having hands of stone helps too.

A guy from the past, Fred Belitnikoff of the Raiders, comes to mind first. Then the NFL banned stick-um.

ecker ran a 4.54 at the combine. wolit a 4.67.

You can be an All Big Ten receiver with a 4.67.

People don't realize how rare sub 4.5 speed is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Larry was the only legitimate 4.4 guy in the program's history.

How many 4.4 guys have you seen actually playing in the conference this year?

The kid gets open, that's for sure. When the game slows down for him he will start catching passes.

We shall soon see as his career progresses.

Some players have the it factor, and they don't necessarily have to be the fastest player on the field. They just have to have good football instincts, attitude, and sure hands.

You never know how players as advertise are going to turn out. From what little I see, me thinks he and Donohvan have bright futures if they work hard at it. Of course, we can say this about every recruit. Until they consistently win a starting spot during practices and keep their noses to the grind stone, they are just potentials.

You nailed it with the part in bold. Anytime Wolitarsky gets mentioned inevitably Decker's name gets thrown into the mix (not you but others). Decker had all those things above and then some, remains to be seen if Wolitarsky possesses any of those same traits. From what I have seen to this point he strikes me as a serviceable #2 or #3 receiver opposite someone that draws a lot of attention.

Potentially that #1 guy is Jones but he looks like he has a ways to go with learning the WR position which would be expected for a guy that has been a QB up to this point in his career. Jones seems to have some of the intangibles that could make him a good receiver if he takes to the position but as you said to this point it is just potential until they prove it.

Wolitarsky gets open but he has dropped several passes that hit him in the hands. Not too worried about him since he is a true freshman, and should continue to improve and become more dependable.

I look forward to seeing both Wolitarsky and Jones in the bowl game. Fifteen more practices to develop!

You can be an All Big Ten receiver with a 4.67.

People don't realize how rare sub 4.5 speed is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Larry was the only legitimate 4.4 guy in the program's history.

How many 4.4 guys have you seen actually playing in the conference this year?

i agree with everyone on that speed (to some extent) doesn't matter. i was just bringing up the numbers because someone asked and that's really the only number that is available to measure speed. i think wolit strikes me as decker without the killer instinct. decker approached each pass that was thrown his way as HIS ball and he seemed like he took offense when he didn't come down with it. that ferocity towards the ball and the willingness to go up and get it is what wolit is lacking at this point. it'll come with time hopefully.

agree entirely. just bringing up the numbers as someone asked about the speed numbers and that's really all thats available

You nailed it with the part in bold. Anytime Wolitarsky gets mentioned inevitably Decker's name gets thrown into the mix (not you but others). Decker had all those things above and then some, remains to be seen if Wolitarsky possesses any of those same traits. From what I have seen to this point he strikes me as a serviceable #2 or #3 receiver opposite someone that draws a lot of attention.

Potentially that #1 guy is Jones but he looks like he has a ways to go with learning the WR position which would be expected for a guy that has been a QB up to this point in his career. Jones seems to have some of the intangibles that could make him a good receiver if he takes to the position but as you said to this point it is just potential until they prove it.

i'll definitely agree with you on that. he has that innate ability to go up and get the ball. it might come from playing qb and seeing the ball go to his guys that he knows that the qb is expecting you to go up for it or something. but whatever the cause, he plays the ball pretty dang well in the air for a guy that hasn't played the position for long

Wolitarsky gets open but he has dropped several passes that hit him in the hands. Not too worried about him since he is a true freshman, and should continue to improve and become more dependable.

This really does concern me, since he was recruited as a guy who could 'catch anything'. Like his ethic but i wonder if that phase of his game was overstated...

This really does concern me, since he was recruited as a guy who could 'catch anything'. Like his ethic but i wonder if that phase of his game was overstated...

You guys are failing to realize the differences between high school football and the speed/intensity of big time college football. Takes a year or two to adjust to all of it. Give him time.

Top Bottom