Must go to Away Games?

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
I've only been a season ticket holder for the past 3 years, but life long (30 yrs) fan hometown homer if you might. I am going to try and work at least one away game in to my work schedule during each year as a season. Last year was to UNLV, this year I couldn't swing NMSU, but plan to do TCU next year along with taking in Notre Dame and Stanford during the bye week.

I'd like to eventually make it to each away stadiums in the Big Ten for a Gophers game. If there had to be the top 3 must see venues what would they be outside of Camp Randall as that is an almost certain game I'll attend next year.

I've only been a season ticket holder for the past 3 years, but life long (30 yrs) fan hometown homer if you might. I am going to try and work at least one away game in to my work schedule during each year as a season. Last year was to UNLV, this year I couldn't swing NMSU, but plan to do TCU next year along with taking in Notre Dame and Stanford during the bye week.

I'd like to eventually make it to each away stadiums in the Big Ten for a Gophers game. If there had to be the top 3 must see venues what would they be outside of Camp Randall as that is an almost certain game I'll attend next year.

You absolutely must go to a Gopher game at Nebraska! I attend at least several away games every year, and my experience in Lincoln was by far the best away-game experience ever.

If it alternates each year I only go to Northwestern and Illinois. Nice close road trips, tickets are easy to get, and the fans are sane. I would like to try and go to all of the Big Ten venues at some point except 2. I will never to go Madison or Iowa City for obvious reasons.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lincoln fans were great but because it wasn't much of a game, it took away from the crowd. We were walking to the bar around 10 and there was no one else on the street. Kickoff was 2:30

My personal favorites:
1) Iowa City-Always had a good time. Stay in Coralville and walk a mile to the stadium. Fans at Kinnick aren't how many on here portray them to be. Stadium is great, personal favorite is the super nachos, although I've usually had a few beforehand so they could be overrated.

2) Northwestern-Spend the weekend in Chicago, ride the L to Evanston on Gameday with a stop by the GLC tailgate. Swing by the Gopher bar in Wrigleyville on the way home. Just be careful of the bathroom, no lock and no divider between toilet and urinal. Makes for an awkward moment or 2, really felt bad for the other guy.

3) Indiana-Feels a little high on the list after just doing the day trip with Creative Charters this year. Spent most of the time downtown but their tailgating area is unmatched. Should have spent more time there. Nice stadium that could be tough if they were competitive.

I'll be checking off stadium #11 (12 if you count the dome) this weekend and I've never had a bad one. You can't go wrong with an away Gopher game, just pick a fun group to go with and you'll have a great time.

A trip to the Horseshoe just to watch the halftime show would top my list.
I to, have tried to visit all Big 10 cities. I have not been to Nebraska it is on the list as the next must travel to spot.

1. Penn State Was there in 1999 when Gophers upset the Lions. That was one of those wow moments for me in time as it was sureal when Cockerham heaved up the football and we actually caught the deflection. I think I even shed a tear I was so happy for the team and all of us fans. Seemed like justice was served after the year before cheating by Joe Pa crying for a flag.
There fans were totally cool even congratulatory, Penn State fans will treat you well and they have awesome places to visit on campus, it is a pain and the butt to get there though. We had crappy seats and were really far away but you could really hear the crowd noise, almost feel the vibration of the floors and the band was great. Good looking cheerleaders too. Fans are very gracious in defeat and victory. Just probably deserving of that reputation as really good football fans. Penn State fans are pure class.

2. Ohio State the horse shoe was awesome both times I was there. Great rare Gopher victory in 2000 and I got blasted by a supersoaker from Brutus the Buckeye for waving a Gopher flag. Besides the game the Skull session was awesome and so was hinygate, this is something you should experience with friends. They seem to like gopher fans there too.
You know it is a special game when an Ohio State fan is telling you about the last time that the Gophers beat Ohio State there 50 years ago when Neo the lion Nomellini played for the Gophers and he could describe in great detail what a ferocious player Nomelini was on the football field, he said he was unblockable that day. Shared some beers with some pretty good fans after the game near some frat houses. Then we rode up and down the BLVD with a Gopher flag haning out the window blasting the Rouser. Got a lot of weird looks but that was an awful good time. 2002 we got beat pretty good.

3 Michigan probably because of the three times I have been we won there once in 2005 and they have some pretty cool fans. A Dr. can't remeber his name, who is a fan of Michigan paid for my parties dinner and drinks to congratulate the Gophers on a great win, even took a picture with us because he said Gophers winning was historic event. I still have the picture but not the envelope with the postage from it.
Granted we do not beat them very often recently so there fans were quite gracious. 2007 was OK except some radio guy broadcasting before the game kept heckling us because he said I didn't know the Gophers actually had any fans, we must have been the first Gopher fans to walk by. This years game was really fun for a half of football. You do not get much room in this stadium they give you enough room for about a half a cheek a person to sit down, and you feel like your a million miles away from the field. There band is pretty weenie for there reputation ours kicks their butts anyday of the week. You get a few hecklers but for the most part Michigan fans kind of put you on ignore. Park at the school not the Golf course as it is cheaper to park at Pioneer. They know how to get you in and out of Ann Arbor, U of M PD and administration could learn a thing or two about game day parking from Michigan, on what to charge and how to manage it best.

4. Iowa Kinnick stadium you sit up really close to the field and it is kind of low but the games are usually fairly entertaining. Have been to Iowa twice when the Gophers won and twice when they have lost. For the most part the Iowa fans treated us fairly well with the exception of a few drunks who wanted to make a point of making fun of Gopher fans and taunting us for calling the Metrodome Kinnick North, I was like I know I have seen the T-shirt you don't need to avertise it to me I have been there even during the 2008 debacle. Parking was reasonable and belive it or not there are some Hawks fans that like to visit and share food. Most seem to have negative feelings towards this place when Iowa fans are here but they are actually fairly decent to watch a game with. To be truthfully honest most of the Hawks fans are fairly decent people, despite the grief we give them and the who hate iowa chants and such. *********** is of course the exception, what a wierdo.
I could almost rate them higher except hotels are expensive and the food isn't the greatest at the places we have stopped at to eat. Iowa fans are fairly nice salt of the earth folks though. They get downgrade for crappy slow service restaraunts.

5. Northwestern mainly because it is easy drive, you get cheap tickets and parking and there fans like to share barbecue and Old Style beers from there tailgaiting. Northwestern fans are fairly cool to party with. That and you can have fun in Chicago with a lot of great places to eat and go see after the game.

6. Purdue only for the fact if your single, the girls are not great looking but they are fairly friendly and looking to party, wink wink. That and that choclate bar is a fun hangout except for I had a boilermaker fan try and chase me and pee on me with his dink hanging out. Now that was crude. That and we had a group try and pee on us off a parking ramp. Not sure why boiler fans think it is cool to try and pee on people.

7. Michigan State I have been only once but the weather was really nice. Marquise Gray had a hell of a game to bad we didn't win the game because the Gophers played like they should have won that day. Besides a painted green guy on a bike yelling at us as we were walking up "Some Spartan Spirit character" the game was fun. I only rank them low because this was a fly in fly out same day game and we did not get a lot of time to visit with the fans or get the real flavor of the Michigan State campus, we didn't really get to visit.

8. Wisconsin only because their fans go out of there way to be rude and inhosbitable or hostile. Have been four times and all four times were fairly miserable with the fans really being buttholes especially when trying to park. Had private lots that didn't want to allow us to park because we were Gopher fans. How stupid is that, money is green and spends the same. That and at the game we had fans chuck marshmellows with coins in them at us, that actually hurt when they hit you. Stupid skunks must still think they are in high school. Had a frined get spit on his Gopher jacket by a drunk fan. For how much they like to brag about being fun, they sure treat Gopher fans poorly.
They don't seem to like Visiting fans, or at least especially not Gopher fans over there. You would think with as much as they like to party and have beat us lately they would just want to have fun and a good time. Guess not. I suppose that is why they are rivals though.
Just never a lot of fun, and there reputation as the Big 10 worst fans is well earned. Hopefully they cheer up and stop being such ungracious hosts.

I have actually been to College Park Maryland to see a football game but it was a business trip and they were playing FSU. Great food, cool fans and good places to see all over the area including DC. This I think will be a road trip for Gopher fans once we start playing them on occassion. I think Gopher fans will really enjoy seeing a football game agaisnt the Terps. They have a unique deck between the lower deck and the upper deck of the stadium. It was a good to great venue to watch a football game. That and we should win the games more often than not.

Illinois been there for a basketball game, but not football. I did not like Champaign, it was kind of boring and the hotel rates were fairly ridiculous, they are on weekends anyways but it is a long trip to get gouged. Not sure if I would go but the Gophers have had quite a lot of success lately beating them at least in the recent decade. What a crappy basketball arena, you sit really high up and the angle is really steep. Just not my idea of a place to see a bball game at.
Indiana guess really have not thought about going to visit the Hoosiers much at least not football.

If you like to tailgate and have an overall pleasant experience, Indiana is a great trip.

I've been to every B1G stadium except MSU and Nebraska. My brief comments:

Ohio State - Best stadium, hands down. It's definitely a must-see experience. Their fans are incredibly pompous though.

Penn State - Best fans, hands down. The tailgating is excellent and their campus life on Friday is pretty solid. The campus definitely centers their life around the football game Thursday through Saturday.

Michigan - Good tailgating. Didn't really hang around campus too much the day before though. The people around us tailgating were nice. I'd definitely go back.

Northwestern - There is tailgating but it's not much and it's pretty far from the stadium. We made a weekend out of it and stayed in Chicago. That is definitely the way to go.

Indiana - Most underrated trip. Great tailgating, nice campus.

Purdue - We stayed with some non-football friends who lived about an hour away so we really just made the jaunt down for the game and that was it. Didn't get to experience any tailgating or campus.

Illinois - It was raining cats & dogs when we were there. The fans talked a little too much smack for being as lousy as they were.

Wisconsin - Great stadium and their fans are into it. I won't bring my kids though until they are older as their student section is very vulgar. So much so that Alvarez and Bielema had to write letters and implore them to behave.

Iowa - Iowa City fans are 100x better than Iowa fans in the Twin Cities. It's a fun road trip.

Been to Nebraska once, Iowa City four times, Wisky five times, Northwestern three and Nebraska once.

My fav hands down is Nebraska.

GO
TO
ANY
AWAY
GAME
YOU
CAN.

I'll tell you what. Any road victory is worth it. Any.
I was 0-7 and kept going. I am 5-2 since. It is so worth it.
Bowl game victory will be sooooooooooooooo sweet.

Lincoln is awesome. Good fans, excellent experience, and a great atmosphere. Not that bad of a drive either.

Of the places I've been, here's my list based on the fans:

1. Nebraska. Hands down the best fans.

2. Nebraska. Yes, the Lincoln experience is that good. Make it a bucket list item!

3. Penn St. Exceptional fans.

4. Illinois. Surprisingly nice fans.

5. Northwestern. Fans are generally great but watch out for a few surly Bear types.

6. Michigan. Fans were O.K. but seem indifferent toward MN fans.

7. Iowa. Most fans are O.K. but there can be some serious a-holes.

8. Wisconsin. Most juvenile fans on the planet but I go every time they play there.

Good luck getting to them all. Going to get harder with Rutgers and Maryland joining the conference but two more fun travel destinations.

PSU, NE, MI in that order, IMO/IME

Tomorrow will mark my 33rd trip to see the Gophers play in a Big Ten venue (third time in East Lansing). My ranks, broken into tiers:

1. Penn State
2. Nebraska
3. Ohio State

4. Iowa
5. Indiana
6. Michigan
7. Wisconsin

8. Illinois
9. Michigan State
10. Northwestern
11. Purdue

Michigan State. ... Besides a painted green guy on a bike yelling at us as we were walking up "Some Spartan Spirit character" the game was fun. ...

That's Johnny Spirit. He rarely misses a game, home or away. He's one of those "lifetime undergraduates" that many schools have. He bleeds Green and White, and I think he comes from some money, so that explains how he can make it to most all of Sparty's games.

If it alternates each year I only go to Northwestern and Illinois. Nice close road trips, tickets are easy to get, and the fans are sane. I would like to try and go to all of the Big Ten venues at some point except 2. I will never to go Madison or Iowa City for obvious reasons.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll assume that the reason is because you're a gigantic pussy.

You're wrong of course but being an Iowa fan and it being Thanksgiving and all, you should be forgiven. You can't help it.

No need to call names, this is about stadium and experience of away games. Dave the name calling and cheap shots for game days

You absolutely must go to a Gopher game at Nebraska! I attend at least several away games every year, and my experience in Lincoln was by far the best away-game experience ever.

This. Excellent fan base that appreciates the fact you made the trip down - very welcoming. I can't wait for our trip in January to see the Gophers play in their new Pinnacle Bank Arena!

I haven't been everywhere in the Big Ten, but here are my rankings:

1. Nebraska, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Ohio State (TIE)

Bottom line, go on road trips. I've had a blast everywhere I've gone. There's no better place in the world than a college campus on a football Saturday.

No, not a pussy but I am high maintenance. I like to stay downtown Chicago. The Super 8 in Iowa City or Madison just doesn't cut it.

No, not a pussy but I am high maintenance. I like to stay downtown Chicago. The Super 8 in Iowa City or Madison just doesn't cut it.

Iowa troll...don't bother. What else would a loser like that do on the evening of Thanksgiving alone, other than troll boards?

Top Bottom