GAME #7: Gophers (5-1) v. Arkansas (3-1) [ESPN2, 1:00PM]

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Arkansas, but I'm expecting a win. Can't wait to see Mo back in the rotation. Hopefully we see some #Hollinsanity as well. Hope King didn't re-fracture his jaw or do anything to set it back. He took some big blows tonight and seemed to be holding his jaw quite a bit in the second half.

If we don't get the win, our only win in the tournament will likely be Chaminade. That kind of makes this a must win.

I don't know anything about Arkansas, but I'm expecting a win. Can't wait to see Mo back in the rotation. Hopefully we see some #Hollinsanity as well. Hope King didn't re-fracture his jaw or do anything to set it back. He took some big blows tonight and seemed to be holding his jaw quite a bit in the second half.

I have some info at the link in my sig but not too much. Basically I see Arkansas as a really athletic team but they aren't very good either. They'll try to speed up the game, which is exactly what the Gophers will do as well so the styles should make it a pretty fun game. From what I've seen of Arkansas that's all they have - a press and a good transition offense. If the Gophers can limit those opportunities they should be able to score in the half court pretty easily and Arkansas's half court offense is horrible. I would be very surprised and disappointed if they lose.

Don't know anything about Arkansas either, but I'll be sloughing off work for a few hours trying to find out.

If we get through Arkansas, Gonzaga looks very beatable by us and would give us a top 15 win!

Very important game tomorrow as far as potential NCAA tournament hopes. As was already mentioned, if the Gophers lose they likely get Chaminade in their final game which means leaving Maui without a quality win.

Gonzaga losing last night would really set the Gophers schedule up nicely if they can get by Arkansas. Arkansas has some young talent both on the post and on the outside but they looked all over the map against Cal yesterday. If the Gophers can bring the same kind of intensity they did yesterday I like their chances at a win. Having Mo Walker back should be a big help to the teams depth inside the paint.

I have some info at the link in my sig but not too much. Basically I see Arkansas as a really athletic team but they aren't very good either.

Ah - Our teams meet.

You pretty much nailed it. Arkansas is very athletic and tries to wear the other team down. Hence the number of players that played yesterday. Yesterday our bigs had 8 points and 2 rebounds. We were -16 in rebounding. That will not win games. I don't know anything about Minnesota, but if your center is a good rebounder and can control the paint, you should win.

Ah - Our teams meet.

You pretty much nailed it. Arkansas is very athletic and tries to wear the other team down. Hence the number of players that played yesterday. Yesterday our bigs had 8 points and 2 rebounds. We were -16 in rebounding. That will not win games. I don't know anything about Minnesota, but if your center is a good rebounder and can control the paint, you should win.

Good to hear from you, DeltaHog. It's been awhile, probably since your former FB coach's cycle ride whirlwind.

Good to hear from you, DeltaHog. It's been awhile, probably since your former FB coach's cycle ride whirlwind.

Haha. Yeah. I venture over to the football forum some, but figured I would come here since our teams are playing each other today.

I thnk Arkansas will be a tougher test than people think. Weren't they a 20 game winner last year? I know I know, a little different winning 20 games playing in the SEC than the Big Ten.

we are favored by 14.5

Well, that makes me feel a little better about the game today. I know absolutely nothing about Arkansas but as long as we come out with the right mindset today and play well we should win. It's a big game, the opportunity to play Gonzaga would be awesome.

I thnk Arkansas will be a tougher test than people think. Weren't they a 20 game winner last year? I know I know, a little different winning 20 games playing in the SEC than the Big Ten.

Overall: 19 - 13 SEC: 10 - 8

Overall: 19 - 13 SEC: 10 - 8

Thanks for digging it up...I just remember they beat Kentucky down the stretch and there was some talk about them slipping into the tournament.

Thanks for digging it up...I just remember they beat Kentucky down the stretch and there was some talk about them slipping into the tournament.

You bet. And also beat #2 Florida in early February.

Ah - Our teams meet.

We lost a ton of rebounding ability after Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams graduated. Most people were worried about that coming into the season, but Elliott Eliason has stepped up and been great. We get our other center, Mo Walker, back after a 6 game suspension as well. Our 4s are both pretty undersized, though it looks like your bigs are a little small as well (and pretty young) so it will be interesting to see the matchups.

I think we need to make a point of taking the ball to the hoop today. It will be tough to shoot that well from 3pt land on back to back days with the pace we play at. It will help having another body off the bench today with Big Mo coming back.

Top two scorers and starting center are gone from last year though.

If we could get by Arkansas it would be awesome if we could play and beat Gonzaga. It would definitely help are tourney resume.

Excited to see what Mo can bring to the team today and that with a win we are pretty likely to get Gonzaga as our third game which would add another quality opponent to the schedule. Watching Arkansas and Cal yesterday I felt the Gophers would have beat either of them and the only thing that worries me a little with Arkansas is their athleticism. They didn't seem to shoot the ball real great and the key for the Gophers will be taking care of the ball and not giving them easy baskets on turnovers. Expecting a big time game and nice bounceback from Andre Hollins today.

Excited to see what Mo can bring to the team today and that with a win we are pretty likely to get Gonzaga as our third game which would add another quality opponent to the schedule. Watching Arkansas and Cal yesterday I felt the Gophers would have beat either of them and the only thing that worries me a little with Arkansas is their athleticism. They didn't seem to shoot the ball real great and the key for the Gophers will be taking care of the ball and not giving them easy baskets on turnovers. Expecting a big time game and nice bounceback from Andre Hollins today.

So far, this is feeling like last year's Battle 4 Atlantis, where the Gophs got booted into the losers bracket by Top-10 Duke. Dre had his big game in the second round, so if this follows true to form, yeah, you might expect him to do well today.

So far, this is feeling like last year's Battle 4 Atlantis, where the Gophs got booted into the losers bracket by Top-10 Duke. Dre had his big game in the second round, so if this follows true to form, yeah, you might expect him to do well today.

Was thinking the same thing, with the exception being that (hopefully) the most significant win in terms of helping the Gopher resume would come in the 3rd game (Gonzaga) and not the 2nd (Memphis).

Top Bottom