Post-Game Thoughts

GameDay

Reaction score
I'll get it started.
Pros- Elliot Eliason, Malik Smith, the press, perimeter shooting
Cons- Containing Fair/Cooney, PFs (esp. King), Hollins x2, turnovers

I really enjoyed the game despite how sloppy and poorly executed it was by Minnesota. I think there is promise, we just need to play more under control. I thought King looked really weak tonight, and he got taken advantage of. Also, Osenieks wasn't playing well either, and our weakness at PF really got exposed. Little Dre will be just what we need; I thought he looked good out there. I wonder why he wasn't playing late in the game? I'm ready to get a win vs. Arkansas tomorrow!

So far, the only loss of the Pitino era is to a Top 10 team. Let's keep it that way...

The gophers competed well.............they did not quit. If Dre is even average we win this game.

Can't be disappointed with that game. We were playing with 3 guards and essentially 2 small forwards when EE got in foul trouble. Disappointed in Mo, but hopefully he is motivated to prove his critics wrong. Also disappointed that Wally hasn't developed to the point where he can be apart of the rotation.

Disappointing because it felt like a very winnable game. Getting Mo back will help us a lot vs Arkansas

I'll take the nice boost to the SOS, though

I'm surprised you called the press a "pro" I thought it killed us. They had so many easy passes and looks in the paint. It'll take some getting used to for me.

King is not strong with the ball passing or under the basket. He is definitely a spot up 4. Elliot is the most important player on the team right now until Mo or some other rebounding help develops.
Off night shooting for The Hollins's but Malik picked it up.
Need to control the unforced turnovers.

Good game overall despite the loss.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Boeheim: "They have a very good team. I would be shocked if they don't have a tremendous year in the Big Ten." <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/405138882838016000">November 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also disappointed that Wally hasn't developed to the point where he can be apart of the rotation.

How is Oto getting more minutes than him? Any athleticism would be an upgrade.

I have my mind made up by Dre Mathieu now, can't be expressed how much he impacts this team. Knows how to run the offense, gets some key steals, can knock down an open shot, and can get to the line. But most importantly, he did the majority of the ball handling and somehow only had 1 turnover compared to Hollins, Hollins, and Smith combined 14.

Gopherinpain, do you watch the games? Wally does not have the size and style of play that Oto does. If you watched it would be obvious.

I'm surprised you called the press a "pro" I thought it killed us. They had so many easy passes and looks in the paint. It'll take some getting used to for me.

It forced some turnovers from Syracuse, but I tend to agree that we need to get back right away once they start to break it to avoid easy fastbreak buckets.

Gopherinpain, do you watch the games? Wally does not have the size and style of play that Oto does. If you watched it would be obvious.

Oto has done nothing his entire career here. Tubby never played him. 2-5 0-1 from three and 4 points as a starter.

Looked like Andre was pressing. Probably feels he has to do it all. Let him relax - he will blow up against Arkansas.

First game you've seen this year, right?

Nope, I have actually seen 4 or 5. Oto is extremely limited athletically and it showed against a team like Cuse. Anybody can put up double figures on the cupcakes we have played.

Oto has done nothing his entire career here. Tubby never played him. 2-5 0-1 from three and 4 points as a starter.
What about his stats before today? Oto is improved and much more confident under Pitino, he struggled with indecisiveness a little today but had been very good so far this season.

God, I love how some people crawl out of the woodwork mainly to piss and moan. Tubby did play him. He's contributed this year. We're going to need his size. Wally doesn't compare to him. At least know what you're talking about, and you won't be exposed as quite a dip****.

Impressed with Joey King's effort, it was obvious his jaw is still very tender. Showed toughness.

Great effort from the team today, best game I have seen from Malik as he shot the ball pretty well but played some decent defense too. Thought there were some questionable calls that went against the Gophers today but that will happen sometimes when the coach on the other bench has over 900 wins. Really looking forward to getting Mo back tomorrow IMO he could have been the difference in this game. Hard to fault Andre but it did seem like he pressed a little today, wouldn't be suprised to see him really go off tomorrow. Wouldn't be suprised to see Pitino go a little deeper with the rotation tomorrow as well.

- EE is going to have a big year. Too bad he got screwed on his third foul. The ref was going to call it a charge, which it should have been, but changed his mind for some reason. Probably quickly remembered who was on the other bench so he couldn't make a call when Boeheim's nuts were in his mouth.
- Hollins squared didn't have very good games. We needed them.
- King plays hard. I like him. Made a big mistake at the end when he tuned it over.
- Smith is who is he is. Great shooter, not much else.
- Little dre is fun to watch. I wish he was on the team last year.
- Way too many turnovers.
- Loved the play late in the first half when we came out of a TO in a relaxed zone, then quickly trapped the wing, resulting in another TO.
- Did anyone else think it should have been a 10 second call late in the game? They got it across finally and we blocked a shot, then Smith threw it too far for King resulting in a turnover. It looked like it was 25 or even 24 on the shot clock when they crossed the line. I just felt like we didn't get hardly any of the 50/50 calls other than the Austin Hollins no-call early on (in which the announcers reminded of us at least 15 times). EE got hammered towards the end of the game and no call.

Either way, proud of the effort. If we can get the press working a little better and get Mo going some, we could over-achieve this season. Go get Arkansas tomorrow!

We did everything we needed to do tonight except the turnovers. 19 turnovers...had we kept it to 12 or less me might have pulled that game out. Bottom line is that we played a team that is 8th ranked and probably as bad of a matchup in terms of size and athleticism that we could meet up with- losing a game to a team like that in the last few minutes is a pretty good performance.

Top Bottom