What is your prediction for the Maui Invitational/B1G-ACC 4 game slate?

• 4-0

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • 3-1

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • 2-2

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • 1-3

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 0-4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

1-3 should be the floor. Even if we lose our first two games in Maui, we will beat Chaminade. Florida State is looking like it should be a really fun game and would make very nice non-conference win if we can get it.

I voted 2-2. I think we lose to Syracuse, beat Cal/Arkansas, and then beat either our third opponent or Florida State. Looking forward to watching this stretch of games.

Lose to Syracuse
Beat Ark
Beat Dayton

Worry about FSU later.

1. Lose to Syracuse by 10-15
2. Beat Arkansas by 1-10
3. Beat Dayton by 15+

Now Dayton might be just as good as Syracuse if not better. I can't see the Gophers losing to Syracuse by 10+ and then beating Dayton by 15. I think Syracuse is definitely overrated - I'm not going to predict a Gopher win there necessarily, but it will be closer than the experts think and I don't think you should be surprised if it happens. MCW has had a great start to his NBA career, and Southerland and Triche were also big losses. Fair is the only guy that they have coming back from last year who averaged more than 5.1 ppg last year, and the Cuse only beat St. Francis (NY) by 6 points at home (the game seemed even closer than that). Ennis has had a poor start to the season in terms of shooting the ball 29% from the field.

Dayton is not a pushover but they are not as talented as Syracuse, nor do they have the athletes. Even with questions on scoring Syracuse is ranked 9th in the AP for a reason. Defense, rebounding, and CJ Fair getting you clutch shots. Who guards Fair, Austin? Fair has 3 inches and 30 lbs on him but Austin still has the best shot I guess.

Not having MO makes this game unbelievably hard on the boards for us. The Orange have 2 big bodies in Coleman and Christmas and EE will need to stay out of foul trouble. This could be one game where you throw out a junk defense like a triangle and 2 with Austin chasing Fair and Andre chasing Cooney, and daring the other 3 to hit from outside. Enis is streaking there but the rest of the team are not good outside shooters.

As a Gonzaga and Minnesota fan, that match up would be my dream championship. I highly suggest this board watch Gonzaga at least once over the next few days because you all seem to think they don't even deserve to be a D-1 team, much less a national brand. They can shoot the 3 as well as any team in the country and have some very good bigs as well. Fun team to watch.

As a Gonzaga and Minnesota fan, that match up would be my dream championship. I highly suggest this board watch Gonzaga at least once over the next few days because you all seem to think they don't even deserve to be a D-1 team, much less a national brand. They can shoot the 3 as well as any team in the country and have some very good bigs as well. Fun team to watch.

Well they did lose in the round of 32 as a 1 seed last year, though admittedly to an eventual Final Four team. Still, they had a much better seed and made it just as far as we did. As I recall, Southern had a chance to beat them in the first round within the last few minutes.

I think most of the hate is directed at that one guy on the Gonzaga board accusing us of playing dirty to land Reid Travis, because how could anyone turn down Gonzaga to go to one of those filthy public schools? I believe he also called us the worst basketball program in the Big Ten, and while I would say we are bottom half, we certainly aren't the worst.

Well they did lose in the round of 32 as a 1 seed last year, though admittedly to an eventual Final Four team. Still, they had a much better seed and made it just as far as we did. As I recall, Southern had a chance to beat them in the first round within the last few minutes.

I think most of the hate is directed at that one guy on the Gonzaga board accusing us of playing dirty to land Reid Travis, because how could anyone turn down Gonzaga to go to one of those filthy public schools? I believe he also called us the worst basketball program in the Big Ten, and while I would say we are bottom half, we certainly aren't the worst.

The Gonzaga hate on this board predates Gonzaga's recruiting of Reid. And it's not just Minnesota fans, it seems most major conference fans hate Gonzaga without ever watching them play. It's true they haven't made a final four during their great run over the last decade and a half, but they've done just about everything else including plenty of great wins against bigger programs. I just wish they weren't on so late so they could get more exposure. Pangos/Bell Jr. is probably a top 5 back court in the country this year and most people have probably never heard of them.

I have loved Gonzaga over the years. They were the definition of mid major and a Cinderella story for a time. They have Dower from Minnesota. Last year there were questions of whether they should be a number 1 seed, while playing quite a bit lower competition is all. It's like Boise St. in football in years past. They can upset people but could they win 9 or 10 games against SEC competition?

Top Bottom