Enfield on Alford: I don't worry about UCLA. I've been to 1 S16 in 2 yrs, SA 1 in 18

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Now check these quotes!

"Tim Floyd shows up every day at work and realizes he lives in El Paso, Texas. And he's pissed off that he didn't get the USC job two months ago." -- Andy Enfield on former USC coach and current UTEP coach Tim Floyd

"I don't worry about [UCLA]. I've made it to one Sweet Sixteen in two years [as a head coach], and [Steve Alford has] made it to one Sweet Sixteen in 18 years [as a head coach]." -- Andy Enfield on, well, I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...65712/andy-enfield-is-the-dunk-city-of-quotes

Go Gophers!!

When you stick your foot that far in your mouth multiple times , the odds of eventually regretting it are very high.

Admittedly, it would've been fun to have him take potshots at Mr. Ryan.

Yes Pitino all the way vs. Enfield. Sounds like a bit of a jerk.

I think it's kind of interesting and cool to see a coach embracing the rivalry and trash talking like this. Steve Alford doesn't seem to be giving it back though. If Tim Brewster's football teams had been a little bit better and he were able to keep his job longer, we could have seen some very heated, hate-filled Axe games between him and Bielema, those two really didn't like each other. I know everyone acts like the Brewster hire was like dropping a nuke on the football program, but he was within one score of beating Wisconsin in three of his four losses to them.

I guess to me it's cool to see someone break the mold of "I have a lot of respect for coach X and what he has accomplished at school Y, and I know how much this rivalry means to both sides," and just say "I hate those guys, we're better than them, and we're gonna beat their asses next time we play."

I generally feel like coaches, and to a lesser extent players, don't show the same level of emotion as the fans do during/after the games. After the basketball games, even when we win, if you watch the players doing the rouser, it just looks kind of half-hearted, they wave their fists at about shoulder level and look kinda depressed. I was watching highlights from the Indiana game last year (never gets old), and one of the reasons liked Mbakwe was how he would scream and pound his chest after getting a big and-1, and I could tell that he was even more jacked than I was. I liked the amount of emotion he showed on the court. Maybe the players let loose a little more when they get to the locker room, like with Tubby and the team dancing to Ke$ha after the Wisconsin game last year.

I'll admit I would probably be a little uncomfortable with Pitino making such comments about Bo Ryan or something, for how young and unproven he is.

I guess this post got a little off track, but mostly I kinda like to see a coach showing the same amount of passion for the program that the fans probably have.

I think it's kind of interesting and cool to see a coach embracing the rivalry and trash talking like this. Steve Alford doesn't seem to be giving it back though. If Tim Brewster's football teams had been a little bit better and he were able to keep his job longer, we could have seen some very heated, hate-filled Axe games between him and Bielema, those two really didn't like each other. I know everyone acts like the Brewster hire was like dropping a nuke on the football program, but he was within one score of beating Wisconsin in three of his four losses to them. I guess to me it's cool to see someone break the mold of "I have a lot of respect for coach X and what he has accomplished at school Y, and I know how much this rivalry means to both sides," and just say "I hate those guys, we're better than them, and we're gonna beat their asses next time we play." I generally feel like coaches, and to a lesser extent players, don't show the same level of emotion as the fans do during/after the games. After the basketball games, even when we win, if you watch the players doing the rouser, it just looks kind of half-hearted, they wave their fists at about shoulder level and look kinda depressed. I was watching highlights from the Indiana game last year (never gets old), and one of the reasons liked Mbakwe was how he would scream and pound his chest after getting a big and-1, and I could tell that he was even more jacked than I was. I liked the amount of emotion he showed on the court. Maybe the players let loose a little more when they get to the locker room, like with Tubby and the team dancing to Ke$ha after the Wisconsin game last year. I'll admit I would probably be a little uncomfortable with Pitino making such comments about Bo Ryan or something, for how young and unproven he is. I guess this post got a little off track, but mostly I kinda like to see a coach showing the same amount of passion for the program that the fans probably have.

I agree, love this stuff. I am still taking Pitino over the USC coach, but still love his comments.

This stuff is ok with me if it comes to rivalries. But this isn't ok everyday.

The comments are fine if you're having a good time with boosters in a small setting.

If he was talking to reporters at a press conference and said it, different story. I don't think he would. If asked about it he might say, "Oh, I have the utmost respect for Alford and Floyd. We (the group I was talking to) were just having some fun."

Gotta understand the context. If I was Enfield I might have a word with the reporter who put these quotes out there / raised their profile... but, don't know, maybe he enjoys it.

Interesting things are said in private and small groups quite often. Many of them should not be shared with the public (that includes media keeping things 'private'), IMO.

He should be more careful.

He's just trying to instill more competitive spirit into their rivalry. Let 'em go at it.

The comments are fine if you're having a good time with boosters in a small setting.

If he was talking to reporters at a press conference and said it, different story. I don't think he would. If asked about it he might say, "Oh, I have the utmost respect for Alford and Floyd. We (the group I was talking to) were just having some fun."

Gotta understand the context. If I was Enfield I might have a word with the reporter who put these quotes out there / raised their profile... but, don't know, maybe he enjoys it.

Interesting things are said in private and small groups quite often. Many of them should not be shared with the public (that includes media keeping things 'private'), IMO.

How'd that work out for Romney?:cool02:

Top Bottom