Will Tubby redshirt anyone next year?

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
This season looks like it could be very promising, but it can't hurt to look ahead to our situation next year. I've read that Tubby has an aversion to redshirting his players, but next season looks like it could get awfully crowded. We are only losing 2 seniors (JAS and JW) while adding 4 recruits. Do the math, we aren't going to be able to play everyone.

Seniors
-Johnson
-Westbrook
-Bostick
-Busch
-Payton?

Juniors
-Hoffarber
-Nolen
-Carter
-Mbakwe

Sophomores
-Iverson
-Sampson
-Joseph

Freshmen
-White
-Williams
-Cobbs

That makes 15 players, with the possibility of getting paired down to 14 depending on the status if Payton. White and Williams should be instant impact freshmen who will crack the rotation immediately. Mbakwe will be able to contribute immediately as well. Cobbs will be a good candidate for a redshirt, especially if Joseph proves to be able to handle the backup PG duties behind Nolen. We can't play more than 10-11 guys max, and assuming that every incoming player qualifies, this will squeeze out a couple guys. I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

I have never seen Williams play- but I have heard he is all world athletically, but a ways away in terms of overall skills. Based on this I would think he would be a candidate and perhaps Cobbs as well.

I doubt it. The only redshirts (by Tubby) are transfers or players who were injured.

The 15 Gophers will include 13 on scholarship. Busch will revert to walk-on status. Payton may graduate and leave early, or Hoffarber may be moved to an academic scholarship.

No redshirts.

Royce White and Rodney Williams aren't coming to the U to redshirt.

We recruited Cobbs because of our need at PG. You don't redshirt a need.

As FOT has stated...

apparently Tubby will not look to redshirt players. FOT's breakdown of the scholarship situation is a pretty good guess, it could break a couple of different ways but we will have 13 guys one way or the other. As many have stated...things have a way of working out. So, I say no one redshirts, we need Cobbs as another backup point. Devoe is doing a fine job but one more true point guard would suit me just fine. Williams, Mbakwe and White will earn minutes and play. It's a lot of guys to keep happy, but you won't find Tubby wringing his hands and wondering how to keep them happy...he will be thinking about winning ballgames. And that's how it should be.

Hoffarber may be moved to an academic scholarship.
You've mentioned this a couple of times; it's not going to happen, plain and simple.

Hoffarber was offered an athletic scholarship and chose the U over the likes of Louisville, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt. There's no way he is going to take an academic scholarship (which doesn't cover nearly the amount of things that an athletic one does) when he earned his athletic scholarship like everyone else.

Tubby will have his..........

hands full next season juggleing minutes.

13 of those 15 players will be believing they should be playing. Only Busch and Payton as "role" players.

No sense worrying now about how it might shake out next year.........it's nic problem to have for the fans, but there may be some discontent among that roster.

I think it is funny how we are so worried about making players happy, etc. Do you think Duke or North Carolina have a good starting 5 and then a roster full of scrubs? This comes with the territory of becoming a good, deep team. Hopefully we have recruited the kind of guys who are more interested in playing for a winning team than just players looking to expand their own personal accolades.

One upside I see is that teaching freshman to wait their turn to shine, while still giving them the necessary experience, can help them to mature and appreciate what they get. The best players will play. If the players who aren't the best are unhappy that they aren't playing enough, then they can leave. First, I wouldn't want somebody like that on the team anyway and second, if they aren't the best then it shouldn't be a gigantic loss for us regardless.

You've mentioned this a couple of times; it's not going to happen, plain and simple.

Hoffarber was offered an athletic scholarship and chose the U over the likes of Louisville, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt. There's no way he is going to take an academic scholarship (which doesn't cover nearly the amount of things that an athletic one does) when he earned his athletic scholarship like everyone else.

It's possible. The athlete must have 3.3 GPA and otherwise qualify for academic scholarship. Tubby had a player (Ravi Moss) at UK who was a valuable contributor but on academic scholly all 4 years.

It's possible.
I know it's possible, that's not my point.

My point is that there is no way that he'd take an academic scholarship because it covers less than an athletic one does, and there is no way the coaching staff would even dream of asking him to do so.

"Hopefully we have recruited the kind of guys who are more interested in playing for a winning team than just players looking to expand their own personal accolades."

This is exactly it. It's probably bit of a pipe dream to expect something like this in modern sports (sadly), but it's possible to aspire toward it.

I feel like a lot of people here saying there will be a bunch of discontent forget that Tubby coached at KENTUCKY for 10 years. He's experienced in how to manage a roster loaded with talented guys.

Top Bottom