Who should we play in the challenge next year?

MinnMarchDTF

Musical Magician
Reaction score
Next year we will be, by all intents and purposes, a pretty darn good team with very solid depth. Who do you think should be our challenge opponent who would match up with us really well? Just a few guesses:

Maryland
Clemson
Boston College
One of the NC schools

As far as matchups and which teams are likely to return a lot of players (like the Gophers), I'd say Wake Forest would be the perfect pairing for the Gophers. Obviously would like to play Duke or UNC, but unless the Gophers finish in the top 2-3 of the Big 10 this season, there's no chance of that happening.

BC, Miami, NC State or Va Tech all would be fine, all teams we haven't played yet in the Challenge. Like seeing Gophers match up with different programs.

As far as matchups and which teams are likely to return a lot of players (like the Gophers), I'd say Wake Forest would be the perfect pairing for the Gophers. Obviously would like to play Duke or UNC, but unless the Gophers finish in the top 2-3 of the Big 10 this season, that's not gonna' happen.

BC, Miami, NC State or Va Tech all would be fine, all teams we haven't played yet in the Challenge. Like seeing Gophers match up with different programs.

SS, do you know, do they try to rotate the games in regard to home/away. In other words, are we assured of going on the road next year in the Challenge? And, if so, doesn't that limit us next year to playing ACC teams who were on the road this year? If that's the case, then the pool of teams where we could be is: Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia.

But, as I think about it, they must switch it up a couple of times where a team hosts back-to-back years or goes on the road back-to-back years, other wise the same teams would always match up based on the rotation of teams.

You always have a firm grasp on this stuff, so that's why I ask you.

2-year rotation

I believe it's a 2-year rotation. This is the 2nd year of the current rotation, so conceivably the Gophers could be at home again next year. As long as it's not FSU or Virginia -- who we've combined to play 6 times -- anyone else is fine. There also will be a different ACC team sitting out next season. NC State has sat it out the last two years, so the Wolfpack definitely will be in.

Here's who & where we've played.

1999-00: Virginia
2000-01: at Florida State

2001-02: at Wake Forest
2002-03: Georgia Tech

2003-04: at Virginia
2004-05: Florida State

2005-06: at Maryland
2006-07: Clemson

2007-08: at Florida State
2008-09: Virginia

Add Georgia Tech to the teams I'd like to see. Whether it's been the Big 10 Challenge or NIT, I've had my fill of Maryland in recent years.

Of course, UNC and Duke are at the top of the list. After that, I'd go with Wake, GT, NC State, and BC. Next level would be Va Tech & Miami. Clemson, Virginia, and Maryland can rotate through down the road.

UNC and Duke are at the top of the list. After that, I'd go with Wake, GT, NC State, and BC. Next level would be Va Tech & Miami.

I'd put Miami higher, if its a road game. I could see making a road trip in early December to South Beach!:)

A ways away but a bit fun to think about Duke or North Carolina visiting the barn in 2010.

I'd put Miami higher, if its a road game. I could see making a road trip in early December to South Beach!:)

TJ, I like the way you think. WOuldn't that be a blast? I assume GopherLady would be all over the organizing part of it.

Top Bottom