Tonight's National Anthem and "The Barnyard Singers"

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I hate to come off as prudish, but I thought it was a less than classy display by the "Superfans" in the first couple of rows of the student section in 110 during the National Anthem tonight. I've been going to games for eight years at the barn pretty consistently, and yes, I've labored through some renditions of the anthem that have been long, drawn out, good, bad, and everything else in between.

However, never can I remember a time when I was embarrassed by our fans during the anthem. For those that weren't there, a group in the student section thought it was a good idea to sing along (out of tune, I'll add, but that's besides the point) at their own pace, faster than the rendition, and when it came time for their own rendition to shout "Gophers" during the last word of the song, they did so...however, the singers (four young people, probably between 10 and 15) were barely to the last line of the song.

Again, take this however you want. It's just my personal opinion, and anyone that would like to defend themselves (or not) can go right ahead and do so. And maybe I'm the only one that cared or took any sort of offense to it. Be that as it may, on a night when we're on national television, when anything can catch the airwaves, I thought it was pretty poor. Further, they're kids, not professionals. Again, I've heard many types, styles, and lengths of anthems in the barn, and, as a member of the student section (and a former Barnyard board member) in the past, we sang along too...but we always waited until the singer was at the right point before making our statement as to who's house it was, rather than making an ass out of ourselves by interrupting the middle of the song.

Again, just my personal opinion.

I have no problem with the "...home of the GOPHERS" at the end of the anthem. It's a barn tradition. I agree that the "competing rendition" last night was kind of stupid and probably fueled by 80 proof.

Never underestimate the ability of college students to be stupid sans booze. That was offensive, pathetic, and disrepectful last night. Can't you all not be the center of attention for a whole minute and a half?

I'm sorry, but a 5 minute national anthem is longer than expected and we could hardly hear them anyway. How is it disrespectful that we're singing our national anthem? We didn't try to make it offensive; grow some thick skin.

Perhaps not shout-singing would be step one in being able to hear. And unexpected? The same people already sang the national anthem once this year, and you somehow didn't embarrass yourselves then. Just admit that you thought it would be funny and we will move on, as long as you don't do it again.

I'm sorry, but a 5 minute national anthem is longer than expected and we could hardly hear them anyway. How is it disrespectful that we're singing our national anthem? We didn't try to make it offensive; grow some thick skin.

I hate to stoop to insults on a message board, but you're an idiot. I told my friend last night that I wished I was still in the student section, as I would've been kicking asses like yours. It was very disrespectful, and I'm not talking about to the singers. Didn't try to make it offensive? What about the laughing and shouting? Cutting off the song before it was over?

You clowns have no idea what it means to serve your country and to respect our national anthem. When someone sings it, no matter what you're opinion is of their rendition, shut your f*cking mouth and look at the flag.

If you'd like, I can come down to your seats next game and adjust your attitude for you. I assume you're the tool in the rubber pants?

Sorry for the tough guy rant, but this REALLY pissed me off.

[/rant]

I hate to come off as prudish, but I thought it was a less than classy display by the "Superfans" in the first couple of rows of the student section in 110 during the National Anthem tonight.

Agree 100%--it was a complete embarrassment. I'd imagine those who took part will fully agree once they have grown up a bit.

Did you seriously just ask how was it disrespectful?

1) You disrespected the people who were asked by the University to sing it.
2) You weren't "singing" our national anthem. You were making a mockery of it.
3) You were intentionally doing this.

Also, the young singers did a good job, I thought. It was not five minutes long. In fact, they paced through it fine. There have been some who have made it longer. They were young people who were trying their best, who did a good job, who probably had lots of family and friends there to hear them sing the anthem in front of 13,000 people. Yet, you clowns tried to ruin their night. Don't play it off like we didn't "try" to make it offensive.

You really don't get how you were disrespectful? You were an embarrassment. Plain and simple.

And you tell us to grow some thick skin? There are lots of areas I suppose where people are willing to let things slide and grow some thick skin. But, making a mockery of the national anthem at a time when millions of American soldiers are at life-threatening risk and thousands are dying, is not a situation that calls for growing thick skin to allow you fools to make a silly joke out of the Star Spangled Banner. Sorry. You guys were idiots. Please, try to make it through the 90 seconds of the song next time. You think you young adults can handle that?

The main singers themselves weren't doing themselves any favors by not staying with the familiar meter of the anthem (they were jumping all over the place).

I am also fine with "...and the home of the GOPHERS!" at the end of the anthem.

With that said, it was very embarassing to hear the students come in WAY too early with the ending. I could tell it was coming earlier in the anthem, but it didn't ease the cringe factor at all.

What's disrespectful...

is what many of the so-called singers engaged by the athletic department do to our anthem. The swoops and glides and stutter-steps and everything else they do to jazz up the anthem demean the song and tick everyone off who is asked to "Sing along with our national anthem". As last night, the crowd (which would like to show their patriotism and respect) simply cannot participate. I clam up and fume over it every time -- but I can see the point of the students lodging their frustration vocally.

The young lady who sang last Saturday at the NDSU game got it right. How enjoyable! One of the few this season who has done so.

Please give us the National Anthem straight and singable. That's respect.

Side comment: The tune to Francis Scott Keys lyrics is supposed to be based on a drinking song popular at the time he wrote it (1812). What a bunch of sad, morose drunks we must have had in the early years of our nation. "Louie Louie" it ain't!

I would tend to agree with that more when it's not a group of youngsters. I think it was rough on those kids, who have to sing at a specific pace to keep together. While they're concentrating on that, they were being distracted. I don't mind the singing along to the anthem, and I don't really mind the GOPHERS part, but I didn't like the finishing early.

is what many of the so-called singers engaged by the athletic department do to our anthem. The swoops and glides and stutter-steps and everything else they do to jazz up the anthem demean the song and tick everyone off who is asked to "Sing along with our national anthem". As last night, the crowd (which would like to show their patriotism and respect) simply cannot participate. I clam up and fume over it every time -- but I can see the point of the students lodging their frustration vocally.

The young lady who sang last Saturday at the NDSU game got it right. How enjoyable! One of the few this season who has done so.

Please give us the National Anthem straight and singable. That's respect.

Side comment: The tune to Francis Scott Keys lyrics is supposed to be based on a drinking song popular at the time he wrote it (1812). What a bunch of sad, morose drunks we must have had in the early years of our nation. "Louie Louie" it ain't!

While just about everybody outside of about 20 drunk students agreed that their behavior was loutish, I have heard the SSB, which is a very difficult song, presented in many beautiful and interesting ways. If somebody wants to jazz it up a bit or slow it down, I have no problem with that. I enjoyed the version last night just as I enjoyed the version at the NDSU game. The way Jimi Hendrix played it at Woodstock is now considered a classic. Same with Jose Feliciano during the 1968 World Series. Personal preference is personal preference, but there are many ways to do the song right and in a respectful fashion.

I hate to stoop to insults on a message board, but you're an idiot. I told my friend last night that I wished I was still in the student section, as I would've been kicking asses like yours. It was very disrespectful, and I'm not talking about to the singers. Didn't try to make it offensive? What about the laughing and shouting? Cutting off the song before it was over?

You clowns have no idea what it means to serve your country and to respect our national anthem. When someone sings it, no matter what you're opinion is of their rendition, shut your f*cking mouth and look at the flag.

If you'd like, I can come down to your seats next game and adjust your attitude for you. I assume you're the tool in the rubber pants?

Sorry for the tough guy rant, but this REALLY pissed me off.

[/rant]

I guess i don't even know what to say to that. I suppose because I'm one of the only ones who outright says on the hole who i am people can tend to take shots at me, and I'm fine with that. But don't blame me for the actions of many, that's just looking for a scapegoat. I was doing my best to sing our anthem (as I always do), and I don't drink for games at all (I know you didn't say that, but people have said everyone was sauced). And as for your threats of violence? And I'm classless?

We'd be tearing into the front row even if you weren't there or if we had no idea who you were.

But don't blame me for the actions of many, that's just looking for a scapegoat.

It was never my intention to blame one for what caught on and was done by many, and I respect that you called yourself out for doing it.

Further, I want to point out as well that I like the fact that you're into the anthem, singing along, and shouting "GOPHERS" at the end of the song. However, it was the way you did it that irked me, and based on the reaction of the board, many others.

If you want to get on the officials, opposing team, or their coach, go for it...I'm all for it. However, don't forget that it's not the actual singing of the anthem that means anything, but rather the meaning of the song. And there are people who take a lot of pride in that song, and what it stands for. And to jeer, talk and laugh during it (which there were also some of from that particular corner), and then blatantly tarnish the end of it with your own finale was not cool.

Actions represent yourself more so than anything else. And as your mother probably told you at some point in your life, "you know better." To anyone down there, not just those who have decided to publicly say they were down there, think about what you're doing next time, that's all.

We'd be tearing into the front row even if you weren't there or if we had no idea who you were.

You particularly seem to hate on the front couple rows a lot, ftb. Why is that? Because you think you could do a better job? It's easy to criticize from way in the back where no one can hear you. And if you think I'm there for selfish reasons your completely wrong. I was at the barn 30 minutes prior to door opening for the exhibition games (which had no exposure whatsoever). I was there because I love gopher basketball. I'm always there early.

I can understand a bit of resentment towards people who only show up for games on espn, because I resent that too; the fact that people show up wearing animal costumes and buying single game tickets, for example, really peeves me. And its not because they are out-"fanning" me, but the fact that these people only support the team when its a chance to get on tv.

My point is, I'm not there for selfish reasons. I'm there because I love gopher basketball (i suppose that's selfish) and because I want to help the team by getting behind them and cheering for them. I'm ready for your snappy comeback, as is your fashion.

As for the anthem, you all have a right to be embarrassed. The laughing was unacceptable as well, thats inexcusable. But, in our defense, it was hard to hear the singers (they are a good group, just tough to follow their anthem, another problem). I guarantee you that if the band played the anthem it would not have happened. Again, I'm not saying their rendition is bad, just tough to follow and its so quiet. And I will never apologize for singing my anthem, even if its out of tune. Bring on the hate posts.

The rest of the arena heard it fine, both last night and two weeks ago when they sang it the exact same way.

The rest of the arena heard it fine, both last night and two weeks ago when they sang it the exact same way.

They must put speakers in the back corners of the building. Last time they sang it the barnyard wasn't full to capacity with screaming fans either.

This is some beautiful backpedaling. You were trying to sing along, but couldn't hear them or recognize the tempo? Bullsh*t. Alltime is right on. The jeering, laughing, and shouting during the anthem and screaming over the end of it was disgusting. This garbage about 'we were just trying to sing along' is preposterous. The students involved made asses out of themselves and insulted many who take alot of pride in the anthem. Period.

I don't care at all why you go to games or how big a fan you think you are. If you and your costume wearing friends are going to act like that and embarrass my alma mater, just stay home. I'll take a 1/2 full student section over "fans" like that any day.

I always sing along. I won't ever stop singing.

It takes a big man to admit a mistake and take the blame for others, but it takes a bigger man (apparently) to beat a dead horse and threaten violence on a message board anonymously.

Someone yelled Hoffarber during the NDSU anthem also, what's that all about? I'm all for basically any cheer outside of the National Anthem, just tone it down for three minutes.

I was in the section behind the band and I was disgusted by the actions of some. It was acapella, meaning no music, just singing in harmony. Stop being ignorant, relax, stop being all around disrespectful, and close your mouth. That goes for everyone, not just Gorton

I was also in the front row with Gorton's and was not one of the tools who decided to scream random things through out the national anthem or to giggle like little school girls. But, like him, I choose to participate in the singing of the national anthem. If anyone's going to rip me for that, go ahead.

Now I will admit that our singing was a little off, but that's not to say we didn't try to correct ourselves multiple times and keep on pace with the singer(s). It's kind of hard to do so when they sing a weird rendition (so much for all the tradition you are all speaking about, right?) very quietly. No one has had a problem with the actual singing of the students in the past, so I wonder why there was an incident just this one game? Maybe its the singers who can't sing a little louder, be a little clearer, or sing a version of it that most of us would know?

Rip away.

Stop. People are not upset that those students were singing. Singing along is of course great. The problem is that they purposefully butchered it to be funny and were trying to be very loud so others could hear, which they laughed about and few around them. That is what people are upset about.

Stop. People are not upset that those students were singing. Singing along is of course great. The problem is that they purposefully butchered it to be funny and were trying to be very loud so others could hear, which they laughed about and few around them. That is what people are upset about.

That is absolutely incorrect. If you'll notice, every game we sing along. It's not to purposely butcher the national anthem, and it damn well isn't to be funny. I'm not the best singer, but I try my best and I'll take showing that over sitting there with a wandering mind just going through the motions.

Top Bottom