Gophers vs. UW-Milwaukee

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
What a beautiful day to be outdoors and watching some baseball, and a little football with spring practice next door. I now can see why they moved the Purdue games, as much as I hate watching games at the Dome, Siebert is a joke and not fit for a mickey mantle team, let alone a top 25 college team.

Gophers win the game 12-2. Bechstein started but Luke Rasmussen pitched 4 innings in relief to get the win. McCallum hit a two run homer in the first and a bases clearing triple later in the game. Gominsky had three hits and looks like he is taking over the left field spot and for a true freshman, he has alot of talent. Decker sat again. AJ Petterson is an amazing player. When he was recruited, it was for his defense and speed, but I don't think anybody thought he would hit the way he has.

I remember being on the MN Preps site a couple years ago and wrote something on the 07 recruiting class and it was heavily criticized that Anderson had lost it, blah blah blah, he wasn't going after the right MN kids. Well, look who turned out to be right.

the 11 member recruiting class

Mike Kvasnicka- what more can you say, potential future major leaguer, .380, 3 HR 32 RBI
AJ Petterson- started all 31 games as a fr., leading team with .391 average, great glove, 32 runs scored, 3 triples, 26 RBI
Nick O Shea- also started all 31 games as a fr., 4 HR, 21 RBI, .259, potential to put up big power numbers in the next few years.
Kyle Geason- has been a minor disappointment so far at the plate, started all 31 games as a fr. .204, 0HR 5 RBI, had a big bat in hs, will come around and be a slugger before he is done.
Trip Shultz-has played limited innings, most likely a career backup

Chauncey Handran- JUCO is #1 starter, 6-1, 2.73 e.r.a.
Seth Rosin- #3 starter, saw alot of innings as a true freshman last year, will be #1 starter next year.
Luke Rasmussen-strong arm out of the bullpen, as a lefty he will have opportunity at the next level.
Cullen Sexton- closer who has been lights out this year, another with strong major league potential.
Dustin Klabunde-mid week starter, has struggled some as fr. but big things expected next year
Phil Issakson
-injured right now but strong arm

Nice to see the Gophers take care of business this afternoon. I wasn't able to watch the game unfortunately, but I'm hoping to watch the Gophers against South Dakota State tomorrow afternoon.

Sitting at 21-10 overall is a nice place to be. Hopefully, the guys will follow up with a good performance against the Jackrabbits before heading off to face Illinois this weekend.

What a beautiful day to be outdoors and watching some baseball, and a little football with spring practice next door. I now can see why they moved the Purdue games, as much as I hate watching games at the Dome, Siebert is a joke and not fit for a mickey mantle team, let alone a top 25 college team.

Gophers win the game 12-2. Bechstein started but Luke Rasmussen pitched 4 innings in relief to get the win. McCallum hit a two run homer in the first and a bases clearing triple later in the game. Gominsky had three hits and looks like he is taking over the left field spot and for a true freshman, he has alot of talent. Decker sat again. AJ Petterson is an amazing player. When he was recruited, it was for his defense and speed, but I don't think anybody thought he would hit the way he has.

I remember being on the MN Preps site a couple years ago and wrote something on the 07 recruiting class and it was heavily criticized that Anderson had lost it, blah blah blah, he wasn't going after the right MN kids. Well, look who turned out to be right.

the 11 member recruiting class

Mike Kvasnicka- what more can you say, potential future major leaguer, .380, 3 HR 32 RBI
AJ Petterson- started all 31 games as a fr., leading team with .391 average, great glove, 32 runs scored, 3 triples, 26 RBI
Nick O Shea- also started all 31 games as a fr., 4 HR, 21 RBI, .259, potential to put up big power numbers in the next few years.
Kyle Geason- has been a minor disappointment so far at the plate, started all 31 games as a fr. .204, 0HR 5 RBI, had a big bat in hs, will come around and be a slugger before he is done.
Trip Shultz-has played limited innings, most likely a career backup

Chauncey Handran- JUCO is #1 starter, 6-1, 2.73 e.r.a.
Seth Rosin- #3 starter, saw alot of innings as a true freshman last year, will be #1 starter next year.
Luke Rasmussen-strong arm out of the bullpen, as a lefty he will have opportunity at the next level.
Cullen Sexton- closer who has been lights out this year, another with strong major league potential.
Dustin Klabunde-mid week starter, has struggled some as fr. but big things expected next year
Phil Issakson
-injured right now but strong arm

As an additional point, I think I'll take coach Anderson's point of view above posters on a message board anytime. All-time winningest Big Ten coach, multiple Big Ten regular season and tournament titles, multiple NCAA Tournament bids, not to mention 983 overall wins along with being college baseball Hall of Fame coach? Yeah, I think I'll stick with coach Anderson....:D:D:D

Big week

One more midweek game left, plus three game series at Illinios. It's a big week for our basebll team.

Go gophers! Beat the Illini!

Thanks for the great posts about the gopher baseball team.

I actually will get to see a couple games because of BTN.

I'm still a little torqued...we had to see 1 of their losses this season..against TCU.

But good to see them playing well. Need to win the big ten and then actually advance in the NCAA tourney.

GM

Johnny a ?

Thanks for the update on the game. The question I have is Decker hurt or just not playing well? Certainly his replacement is hitting the ball for the time being. I hope the Gophers keep up the pace. It sure makes a huge differece being a 2 seed as compared to a 4 seed in a regional.

Thanks for the update on the game. The question I have is Decker hurt or just not playing well? Certainly his replacement is hitting the ball for the time being. I hope the Gophers keep up the pace. It sure makes a huge differece being a 2 seed as compared to a 4 seed in a regional.

Decker just got yesterday off to rest.

Decker just got yesterday off to rest.

He didn't paly Sunday against Northwestern either, thus my question about injury or benching. I see he is not playing again today. McCallam with another big day, 2 HR today after hitting one yesterday.

Gophers take down South Dakota State 9-6 to improve to 22-10 overall. Derek McCallum has been like a man possessed the past two games, going 6-for-8 with 12 RBIs against UW-Milwaukee and SDSU...:eek::eek:

Nice to see the offense come up big the last two games. Hopefully some of that hot hitting will carry over into the Illinois series in Champaign....

He didn't paly Sunday against Northwestern either, thus my question about injury or benching. I see he is not playing again today. McCallam with another big day, 2 HR today after hitting one yesterday.

Tweeked a shoulder sliding on Saturday....will make the trip to Illinois Thursday.

I was told its all about getting him some rest. He was really beat up from last football season and came into the baseball season still not 100% and it was starting to show in his play. He didn't play today but had a nice assits helping get the rabbit off the field.

As for the game, pretty ugly, neither team played that well. Klabunde struggled again, was consistantly behind hitters and then was getting hit when he threw strikes. Fern came in and did a nice job,including getting out of a bases loaded, no outs situation. Issakson pitched 2/3 but looked rusty. Sexton came and had a pretty wild outing in the ninth. McCallum is just ripping the ball right now and Petterson is amazing, he scored on a sac fly to first base. SDSU was not very good and made about 5 errors and had some bad baserumming mistakes. Gominsky gunned a guy out at home in the first.

A win is a win in the midweek games so take it and move on.

Top Bottom