Predict the Season (2013-14)

mcal24

Reaction score
It's never too early to start making our projections. Here's mine for the season.

Lehigh - W
Montana - W
@Richmond - W
Coastal Carolina - W
Wofford - W
Syracuse - L
Arkansas/Cal - W
TBA -
Florida St - W
New Orleans - W
SDSU - W
Neb-Omaha - W
Texas A&M CC - W
Michigan - L
Purdue - W
@Penn St - W
@Michigan St - W
Ohio St - L
@Iowa - L
Wisconsin - W
@Nebraska - L
Northwestern - W
@Purdue - L
Indiana - W
@Wisconsin - L
@Northwestern -L
Illinois - W
@Ohio St - L
Iowa - W
@Michigan - L
Penn St - W

Non-conference (11-1) with another game TBA
Conference (9-9)
Overall (20-10)

My guess is another bubble year, but we will be barely left out this time.

Non-Conference: 10-3
Big Ten: 7-11
Final Record: 17-14
Tournament: NIT

The season seems completely unpredictable to me right now. How will DeAndre Mathieu, Daquein McNeil, and Charles Buggs play at this level? Can Joey King play in the B1G? Will he be eligible? What is the learning curve like for what has to be one of the youngest coaching staffs in the nation?

We know what we have in Andre, Austin, and Elliott. On the other side of the coin we probably know what we have in Maverick and Oto. If Maverick is really going to be playing a major role, I hope that says more about him improving astronomically than it does about the rest of the roster.

It's never too early to start making our projections. Here's mine for the season.

Lehigh - W
Montana - W
@Richmond - W
Coastal Carolina - W
Wofford - W
Syracuse - L
Arkansas/Cal - W
TBA -
Florida St - W
New Orleans - W
SDSU - W
Neb-Omaha - W
Texas A&M CC - W
Michigan - L
Purdue - W
@Penn St - W
@Michigan St - WY
Ohio St - L
@Iowa - L
Wisconsin - W
@Nebraska - L
Northwestern - W
@Purdue - L
Indiana - W
@Wisconsin - L
@Northwestern -L
Illinois - W
@Ohio St - L
Iowa - W
@Michigan - L
Penn St - W

Conference (9-9)
Overall (20-10)

While I agree with being a bubble team next year... You just posted a tournament shoe in with wins against IU and @MSU and a .500 conference record....

"Predict the Season (2013-14)

It's never too early to start making our projections. Here's mine for the season."

NAFC for me.

Good job you guys for taking the first shots! I have no clue, other than I think we go to the NIT.

The season seems completely unpredictable to me right now. How will DeAndre Mathieu, Daquein McNeil, and Charles Buggs play at this level? Can Joey King play in the B1G? Will he be eligible? What is the learning curve like for what has to be one of the youngest coaching staffs in the nation?

We know what we have in Andre, Austin, and Elliott. On the other side of the coin we probably know what we have in Maverick and Oto. If Maverick is really going to be playing a major role, I hope that says more about him improving astronomically than it does about the rest of the roster.
I think there's always a pleasent surprise when a new coach comes in, a guy on the roster comes out of nowhere, for example because of Tubby's system, Damien Johnson was able to shine, Westbrook also improved under Tubby as well. I think Mav said that he played in a similar system to Pitino's in high school and he doesn't have to be a primary ball handler, Mav should be able to play to his strengths. I thinl the wildcards are Mo, Oto and Buggs. I think Buggs will have some growing pains, but will be a damn good player after his four years are up.

While I agree with being a bubble team next year... You just posted a tournament shoe in with wins against IU and @MSU and a .500 conference record....

I guess you're probably right, we seem to always play well @MSU and why not beat IU twice in a row so I picked those two. But would losses to Northwestern and Nebraska sort of "cancel out" the big wins?

But looking at this again, I would probably predict us to lose one more B1G game so we are more of a bubble team, 9-9 seems tough.

I would wait until we know if Joey King is going to be eligible. All indications suggest that will be a major factor for us.

I guess you're probably right, we seem to always play well @MSU and why not beat IU twice in a row so I picked those two. But would losses to Northwestern and Nebraska sort of "cancel out" the big wins?

But looking at this again, I would probably predict us to lose one more B1G game so we are more of a bubble team, 9-9 seems tough.

No they don't cancel each other out. Losses to big 10 teams on their courts are hardly looked at as negatives. With a 10-1 non con record and even 8 wins you would be damn close to making it into the dance. Wins v Richmond and Leheigh might even prove to be resume builders.

You know there are Purdue message boards you could post on, right?

Sigh.....

Here we go again.....Deep breathe......My family has season tickets for Gopher hockey, football, and I usually attend at least 5 basketball games each year with a buddy who has season tickets. I grew up in the Twin Cities and have lived here my entire life except for the 4-5 years I was attending school at Purdue. My wife is a U of M alum.

All of this being said, can I please be allowed to post on Gopherhole? I follow all things Minnesota and Purdue and the rest of the Big Ten I guess.

really ? any Big 10 record approaching 7 wins will be an outstanding job by this staff.

Is there any question Purdue is the least relevant Football/Basketball school in the Big10 right now?

really ? any Big 10 record approaching 7 wins will be an outstanding job by this staff.

That's what I thought too, but when you look at the schedule there are plenty of winnable games.

That's what I thought too, but when you look at the schedule there are plenty of winnable games.

Every game is winnable until the games are played. Gad, you people are great at stating the obvious.

Is there any question Purdue is the least relevant Football/Basketball school in the Big10 right now?

Probably not far from the truth. Purdue football is a disaster although their schedule is ridiculous. Last 3 games vs. BCS bowl teams from last year and next up is Nebraska. No fattening up on cupcakes like most other Big Ten teams. Gophers are better then than the Boilers but not by much. I would love to have had the Gopher's schedule this year. 4-1 is obviously much better than 1-4. Purdue did what the Gophers did last year and pulled the RS on Freshman QB Danny Etling last week to try and jump start the offense. Etling was an Elite 11 QB and has some serious "gunslinging" characteristics. Rob Henry was switched to defense this week, so his back-up is Austin Appleby was also an Elite 11 QB and there's another Elite 11 QB on the way next year in David Blough. Purdue may very well finish 1-11 and 0-8 but they shouldn't have any QB issues in the forseeable future.

Purdue basketball is very relevant and should return to the NCAA Tournament this year after a one year hiatus. Not sure how you can consider a team that has made the Big Dance 6 of the last 7 years with a Big Ten regular season and BTT title mixed in there "irrelevant". Last year was a rebuilding year of sorts and they still finished 8-10 in a tough conference which included a W in The Kohl Center (by 15-20 points). They added a pair of 5th year transfers (Errick Peck from Cornell and Sterling Carter from U of Seattle) as well as a top 25 recruiting class. They have a potential NBA lottery pick at the 5 (Hammons) so the Boilers on paper should challenge to be in the upper half of the conference and get into the tournament.

Lehigh - W
Montana - W
@Richmond - W
Coastal Carolina - W
Wofford - W
Syracuse - L
Arkansas/Cal - W
TBA -
Florida St - W
New Orleans - W
SDSU - W
Neb-Omaha - W
Texas A&M CC - W
Michigan - L
Purdue - W
@Penn St - W
@Michigan St - W
Ohio St - L
@Iowa - L
Wisconsin - W
@Nebraska - L
Northwestern - W
@Purdue - L
Indiana - W
@Wisconsin - L
@Northwestern -L
Illinois - W
@Ohio St - L
Iowa - W
@Michigan - L
Penn St - W

Conference (9-9)
Overall (20-10)

They will lose one or two of the non conference games that you think are given. 4 wins in the Big Ten will be an accomplishment. Will lose to Fla State, Arkansas/Cal.

Rookie coach who does not have the experience to be coaching in the Big Ten. Trying to play a style that does not fit the roster. No inside scorers. This team will be overmatched. Sorry for the dark outlook.

Non Conference 8-4 with 1 outstanding game.
Conference 6-12
Overall 14-16 but glimpses of hope for the following year.

Like others have stated, I believe its going to be very difficult to get even near .500 in the B1G with all the questions marks we have. We have a team consisting of lots of potential, but thats hard to evaluate and put a win number on. I'll be praying for more wins but am realistic at this point.

Go on... Show me the 11 automatic losses.

built badgers is a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#in tool he won't respond. I really don't get people who go to teams boards if they don't like the team, why would I want to go to a vadger or suckeye board. At least Boiler is from here, I can kinda relate I always root Bemidji State if they play the gophs in hockey

I'm with you. This is going to be a big adventure no matter how it goes. I just don't think there's any predicting this.

I just hope people aren't overly optimistic. We knew it was going to be down from where it was last year due to the graduations no matter who was coaching, and last year was 8-10, tied for 7th. I've gone on record saying I'll be overjoyed with anything better than a 6-12 record and a ninth place finish.

They will lose one or two of the non conference games that you think are given. 4 wins in the Big Ten will be an accomplishment. Will lose to Fla State, Arkansas/Cal.

Rookie coach who does not have the experience to be coaching in the Big Ten. Trying to play a style that does not fit the roster. No inside scorers. This team will be overmatched. Sorry for the dark outlook.

:eek:
I will set the O/U at 4.5 BIG wins and take the over. $100. Not joking. PM me if interested

Top Bottom