If None of the Big Three commit to MN, Bank Two Scholarships?

Reaction score
I wish to remain realistically optimistic about Gophers' chances in landing Vaughn, Travis and/or the guy named Tyus, but if none do commit to the Gophers, does it not make sense to bank two extra scholarships instead of signing borderline spring recruits and set up for the juicy 2015 class? By 2015, the new Minnesota Brand hopefully will be fully and favorably established, which in my opinion has been part of the rationale for the 4* and 5* 2014 blitz that put MN on the map as not settling for prospects anymore. Sure, there's always a chance that a real 2014 player de-commits, or we have an angle on a JC transfer, but if that doesn't materialize, why fill the roster with reserves?

We already have five schollies in 2015, will sign either Mason or Morris, I think will want another big either at the 3 or 4 (hopfully Travis) if we miss on Vaughn I could see us banking one more

Why not look at transfers as well? Every year more and more kids are transferring after the season, we could add quality pieces that way as well.

Ricco's system requires lots of people practicing. Needs all 13 Schollies filled plus walk-ons to be able to run in practice as much as he wants.

No. With 5 scholarships, as referenced by bemidjigopher, you already need to replace a third your team. You're setting yourself up for disaster if you need to replace half your team in 1 year. If we can't get solid 3 star players or system players then I expect Juco or transfers to fill the voids.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. We have 3 seniors and 5 juniors right now. If you bank 2 scholarships this year, that would mean 5 open next year unless Andre Hollins leaves early and/or someone transfers. If that's the case, it would be more and that's a lot.

I do wonder, however, how important class balance is now days with how common transfers are. Maybe they don't really care if we end up with 6 or 7 open scholarships one year as they can fill it with a few Juco's and transfers.

Top Bottom