Appalachian State/Jason Capel getting ripped for not letting recruit out of LOI

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Although it's not common, the fact we have seen a few cases of coaches not letting players out of a letter of intent -- or letting them transfer to a school they please -- in recent years is a bad look for the men leading college basketball.

Perhaps Appalachian State coach Jason Capel thought because he was at a small school that this news wouldn't get out, or get much run, but that's seldom the case these days. Capel landed a player named Devonte' Graham, who's currently in prep school. His extra year before college basketball has led to an increased profile and a signficant upturn in potential suitors.

Problem for Graham is he signed his letter of intent to play at Appalachian State before he blew up, so to speak. And now, as first reported by SNY.tv, UConn, Creighton, Rhode Island and Pittsburgh are knocking on Graham's door, yet he can't do anything about it because Capel won't let the kid double back on his decision.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...release-coveted-recruit-from-letter-of-intent

Statement from Appalachian State:

Over the past 24 hours, a handful of media members have offered their opinions on the situation between Appalachian State University's men's basketball program and Devonte Graham, a student-athlete who signed a binding NCAA National Letter of Intent to attend Appalachian State last November.

We take particular exception to the unsubstantiated and irresponsible opinion of some media members that we are holding a student-athlete "hostage." With his family's blessing and support, Devonte Graham willingly and excitedly chose to sign a National Letter of Intent with Appalachian State last November after having the opportunity to be recruited by 351 NCAA Division I programs. Furthermore, if he thought that a more desirable situation might arise in the future, he also had the option to wait until the late signing period in April to make his college choice. Since he chose to sign a binding Letter of Intent with Appalachian State, we stopped recruiting a large number of student-athletes at his position in his class who would have been grateful for the opportunity to receive a full scholarship to attend and play basketball at our great institution.

As our coaching staff fully expected, Devonte had a terrific senior season last winter and, accordingly, drew the interest of programs from what are widely recognized as "power conferences." However, due to his binding agreement with Appalachian State, other programs were not permitted by NCAA rules to contact him, be it directly or through people claiming to represent his interests. Due to our concerns that these rules were not followed and the fact that we had turned away all other potential student-athletes that could have capably filled his spot on the roster, we denied his request for a release from his binding Letter of Intent. We also made the NCAA aware of our concerns.

On the contrary to the opinion that we are holding a student-athlete "hostage," we feel like we are acting in the best interests of all student-athletes and Division I programs that operate under the principle that a National Letter of Intent is a binding agreement meant to be upheld by both the student-athlete and the institution. When that principle is not upheld by a small number of people with selfish motives, it is to the detriment of the student-athlete, the vast majority of Division I institutions (particularly mid-major programs) and all of college basketball.

While we understand that it is en vogue for the media to hammer away at the perceived bureaucracy of the NCAA, recruiting rules and guidelines are in place to protect student-athletes and NCAA institutions alike. Without them, recruiting would be utter chaos. Also, while we greatly appreciate the advocacy of the national media covering men's basketball, especially related to reforms in recruiting practices as a whole, we are confident that those who have shared their opinions over the past 24 hours are not aware of the full circumstances in this particular situation. If all of the facts regarding the situation and how it has unfolded since last spring were to come to light, we believe that the opinions that we are holding a student-athlete "hostage" would change. It would be very disappointing if not.

All of that being said, the situation is now in the hands of the NCAA and will be resolved by its governance. Therefore, we will not have any further comment on the matter.

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=209269294

Go Gophers!!

Don't sign it and there's no problem.

"Wait... you mean if I agree to certain rules.. then I have to respect those certain rules I agreed to?!?!?!?!?"

Sounds almost like...

"Wait.. I agreed to enter into the loan agreement.. knowing I had to pay according to what I agreed to... but, now you're telling me... that I have to pay accordingly to what I had previously agreed to?!?!?!"

Oddly, there are many on each side of both of these examples.

"Umm, I'm better than I thought I was". Great. Be happy - and respect your agreement.

Don't sign it and there's no problem.

"Wait... you mean if I agree to certain rules.. then I have to respect those certain rules I agreed to?!?!?!?!?"

Sounds almost like...

"Wait.. I agreed to enter into the loan agreement.. knowing I had to pay according to what I agreed to... but, now you're telling me... that I have to pay accordingly to what I had previously agreed to?!?!?!"

Oddly, there are many on each side of both of these examples.

"Umm, I'm better than I thought I was". Great. Be happy - and respect your agreement.

I agree for the most part. The exception for me would be if someone's mom got sick or something and they wanted to stay closer to home.

You don't see a press release like that very often. Most of the time it's a no-comment or some bland statement. But App State sure told it like it is. Kudos to them. Sure the kid might have buyer's remorse now that he's got sexier options, but where's the loyalty?

He should stay a big fish in a small pond anyway. At least for 2 years.

App State's point is valid. They stopped recruiting other options when the kids signed his letter and there is an expectation that, barring extraordinary circumstances, that the kid follow through.

Welcome to adulthood young man.

I love App States stance on this matter, I think it is awesome they are standing their ground. It also makes sense imo.

It seems like there's a consensus on this board that because he gave his word he has to stand behind it. I love it and agree.

What a crock!!! Let's take out the student's name and inference to "letter of intent" and substitute "coach Chapel" and "Contract" in their places like I did below and see if the same standards apply. It's hypocrisy at its finest and we see it over and over again. It's a "do as I say and not as I do" world and nobody does this better than coaches. If North Carolina came calling how quickly would Chapel bolt and most institutions wouldn't do a thing.

We take particular exception to the unsubstantiated and irresponsible opinion of some media members that we are holding a coach "hostage." With his family's blessing and support, Coach Chapel willingly and excitedly chose to sign a contract to coach basketball at Appalachian State after having the opportunity to be coach at other NCAA Division I programs. Furthermore, if he thought that a more desirable situation might arise in the future, he also had the option to wait to see if better opportunities presented themselves or sign a one year contract. Since he chose to sign a contract with Appalachian State, we stopped interviewing a large number of coaches who would have been grateful for the opportunity to coach basketball at our great institution.

On the contrary to the opinion that we are holding a coach "hostage," we feel like we are acting in the best interests of all student-athletes and Division I programs that operate under the principle that a contract is a binding agreement meant to be upheld by both the coach and the institution. When that principle is not upheld by a small number of people with selfish motives, it is to the detriment of the student-athlete, the vast majority of Division I institutions (particularly mid-major programs) and all of college basketball.

As our university fully expected, Coach Chapel had a terrific season last winter and, accordingly, drew the interest of programs from what are widely recognized as "power conferences." However, due to his binding agreement with Appalachian State, other programs were not permitted by NCAA rules to contact him, be it directly or through people claiming to represent his interests. Due to our concerns that these rules were not followed and the fact that our players had turned away all other potential coaches and schools in order to play at Appalachian State and the understanding that Coach Chapel promised that he would take said players under his wing, nurture them, coach them and make them into men for the four years that they would be at Appalachian State, we denied his request for a release from his contract. We also made the NCAA aware of our concerns.

What a crock!!! Let's take out the student's name and inference to "letter of intent" and substitute "coach Chapel" and "Contract" in their places like I did below and see if the same standards apply. It's hypocrisy at its finest and we see it over and over again. It's a "do as I say and not as I do" world and nobody does this better than coaches. If North Carolina came calling how quickly would Chapel bolt and most institutions wouldn't do a thing.

We take particular exception to the unsubstantiated and irresponsible opinion of some media members that we are holding a coach "hostage." With his family's blessing and support, Coach Chapel willingly and excitedly chose to sign a contract to coach basketball at Appalachian State after having the opportunity to be coach at other NCAA Division I programs. Furthermore, if he thought that a more desirable situation might arise in the future, he also had the option to wait to see if better opportunities presented themselves or sign a one year contract. Since he chose to sign a contract with Appalachian State, we stopped interviewing a large number of coaches who would have been grateful for the opportunity to coach basketball at our great institution.

On the contrary to the opinion that we are holding a coach "hostage," we feel like we are acting in the best interests of all student-athletes and Division I programs that operate under the principle that a contract is a binding agreement meant to be upheld by both the coach and the institution. When that principle is not upheld by a small number of people with selfish motives, it is to the detriment of the student-athlete, the vast majority of Division I institutions (particularly mid-major programs) and all of college basketball.

As our university fully expected, Coach Chapel had a terrific season last winter and, accordingly, drew the interest of programs from what are widely recognized as "power conferences." However, due to his binding agreement with Appalachian State, other programs were not permitted by NCAA rules to contact him, be it directly or through people claiming to represent his interests. Due to our concerns that these rules were not followed and the fact that our players had turned away all other potential coaches and schools in order to play at Appalachian State and the understanding that Coach Chapel promised that he would take said players under his wing, nurture them, coach them and make them into men for the four years that they would be at Appalachian State, we denied his request for a release from his contract. We also made the NCAA aware of our concerns.

1. Two wrongs don't make a right. Most everyone agrees that the coaching system is messed up. In my opinion, that still doesn't excuse players' from backing out of their commitment in my opinion.
2. How do we know that Capel hasn't had better offers already and has turned them down? Just because some coaches leave the minute a better job comes calling doesn't mean all of them do.
3. Graham could have waited to sign his LOI but he didn't.
4. It's apples and oranges. This would be the equivalent of a coach taking a new job and then leaving for another one before he even coaches a season.

What a crock!!! Let's take out the student's name and inference to "letter of intent" and substitute "coach Chapel" and "Contract" in their places like I did below and see if the same standards apply.

I also don't like the seemingly completely free movement of college football and basketball coaches under contract, and wish it were more like the pro's ... rarely do you see a coach under contract get hired away, and if they do, there is some sort of compensation (usually draft picks) to the current team. And if they get fired, there is almost always some sort of buyout or other compensation. Fair both ways, IMO.

If the colleges can't (due to market conditions or whatever) hold their coaches to their contracts, then the NCAA should let players out of their LOI if the coach leaves. The problem isn't the LOI, the problem is that the NCAA does not (in practice if not in rules) recognize the reality that college fb and bb players sign with a program mostly because of the coach, not the school.

Coaches are professionals and college students are amateurs. They're on two different playing fields.

Coaches are professionals and college students are amateurs. They're on two different playing fields.

So the sensible question is whether that should continue to be the case.

(And the sensible answer is "no").

"Yes, Coach. I will sign a Letter of Intent that will be valid until something better comes along. Along with that, I want other schools to violate recruiting rules and keep recruiting me."

Capel fired, the kid will likely now get his release:

Appalachian State has fired head coach Jason Capel.

Capel spent four seasons at the helm of the Mountaineers, going 53-70 and not reaching the NCAA Tournament. This season was the worst under Capel, as Appalachian State went 9-21 overall, 5-11 in the Southern Conference. He was also an assistant coach in Boone, N.C. for one season before getting the head job.

“As we enter the Sun Belt Conference next season, we have decided to do so with new leadership for our men's basketball program,” athletic director Charlie Cobb said in a statement. “I sincerely thank Coach Capel for his effort and dedication to Appalachian State over the last five years. He is a first-class person and has a bright professional future ahead of him. I wish him and his family nothing but the best.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ppalachian-state-fires-head-coach-jason-capel

Go Gophers!!

That's a crock, what industry or corporation doesn't write into it's employee agreements non compete clauses.

That's a crock, what industry or corporation doesn't write into it's employee agreements non compete clauses.

ummmm....most industries don't. You must be in a technical field, it's common there. Not so much elsewhere.

Top Bottom