Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn commits to Michigan State

At least he will get to learn first hand how hard it is to stop Andre Hollins now.

Good luck.

friggin izzo. now i have to listen to my gf's mom talk about her precious izzo swooping in like a vulture.

Pretty frustrating we recruit him hard all summer and Izzo can just swoop in and grab his #3 choice late in Tum Tum's recruitment.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really stand that smug little whiny prick Izzo. (This of course has nothing to do with Narin)

Pretty frustrating we recruit him hard all summer and Izzo can just swoop in and grab his #3 choice late in Tum Tum's recruitment.

Hard to compete directly against a program that can tell a recruit that they'll likely compete in a Final Four if they stick around for four years. It's like someone else posted, it takes a special person to take the road less traveled and go with more of a startup. I guess we gave Lourawls a little too much credit for being that type of special person.

Sigh...

Go Gophers!!

Would have loved to have him. Point guard recruiting in this class is and always was a luxury. Tum Tum would have been great but now we go for a wild swing at Tyus and then on to Jarvis Johnson even in the unlikely event that we get Tyus. The key to this class is getting a good power forward and a good 2/3 man who can score. Everything else can wait based on the roster we have. We still are in on Vaughn and Travis and that's about as good as you can get for the two options.

Would have loved to have him. Point guard recruiting in this class is and always was a luxury. Tum Tum would have been great but now we go for a wild swing at Tyus and then on to Jarvis Johnson even in the unlikely event that we get Tyus. The key to this class is getting a good power forward and a good 2/3 man who can score. Everything else can wait based on the roster we have. We still are in on Vaughn and Travis and that's about as good as you can get for the two options.

We won't be in on Travis after Josh Martin commits here.

oh well I can deal without a 5'8" PG would've been nice to have, but I am sure Izzo will recruit over him when Appling's gone

It sucks that we lost out on this kid, but I can't feel bad about losing to Izzo. Over the past 20 years he's worked hard and put an elite stamp on the MSU program, establishing himself as both a great coach and recruiter. I can only hope Pitino will someday get us there, but for now he's also working hard albeit with a much thinner resume. When it's a toss-up between the U and the Michigan States of the basketball world now, we're going to lose more often than we win. It's up to Pitino and his staff to turn that equation on its head over the next 20 years.

Congrats to SS and everyone else that wanted a conference rival to land him once it became apparent he wasn't coming here. Hope you are just as thrilled every time he beats us at Williams over his 4 year career!

I just get the feeling that Tum Tum may be in for a rude awakening. It is kind of like back in high school where you have a cute girlfriend and talk about the how strong the relationship is. And then the home coming queen asks you to the prom because she has been rejected by the QB and a couple of other most popular guys. You get caught up in the fantasy and dump your girlfriend and go with the queen. But after the prom she is back hanging out with the popular guys and you got nothing. I am not saying that Tum Tum is not good enough to play at MSU, it is just that Izzo will be working very hard to recruit the top PG in the country next year, and every year after that. At Minnesota he was their PG of the future, at MSU he is a fill in.

I am officially concerned about 2014 recruiting.

Josh Martin has got to commit!!!

Congrats to SS and everyone else that wanted a conference rival to land him once it became apparent he wasn't coming here. Hope you are just as thrilled every time he beats us at Williams over his 4 year career!

+1. never understood this. i want the gophers to win the big ten. i don't take more less pleasure in this hope if there is a down big ten or an up big ten. if the guys we're recruiting go to big ten schools, that doesn't help us at all. i'm a gopher fan first, second, third, etc. you'll never see me wearing a shirt with all sorts of big ten team logos on it. i took no pleasure in watching verdell jones take it too us a few times, nor did i take pleasure in watching jordan taylor's career blossom.

I just get the feeling that Tum Tum may be in for a rude awakening. It is kind of like back in high school where you have a cute girlfriend and talk about the how strong the relationship is. And then the home coming queen asks you to the prom because she has been rejected by the QB and a couple of other most popular guys. You get caught up in the fantasy and dump your girlfriend and go with the queen. But after the prom she is back hanging out with the popular guys and you got nothing. I am not saying that Tum Tum is not good enough to play at MSU, it is just that Izzo will be working very hard to recruit the top PG in the country next year, and every year after that. At Minnesota he was their PG of the future, at MSU he is a fill in.

Then he'll transfer to Oklahoma.

I am officially concerned about 2014 recruiting.

Josh Martin has got to commit!!!

I'm not. After all, Tyus still has us in his final five or whatever the hell it is so that makes me feel really good as a Gopher fan.

While you're at it, you should go after BleedGopher for complimenting Kansas' "Late Night at the Phog." Let's be fair and thorough about this.

This is the first miss I really thought we had a good shot at. I would have been fine if he wanted to stay home and play for Lon Krueger, but choosing to go be MSU's back-up choice stings a bit. Izzo is the best coach in college basketball though.

Well, Nairn chose to go to a rival. So I hope his size limitations are immense, I hope he's not as quick as people say he is, and I hope he languishes on the bench of a weak team. And I hope whoever we eventually do bring in at the 1 makes us forget Nairn's name, except as a "whatever happened to?" at some point in the future.

Don't ya just love recruiting. Two programs, Minnesota and Oklahoma, put in tons of work recruiting kid and out of the blue, here comes Michigan State at the 11th hour and said kid runs away as fast he can from those two schools. Congrats kid! (okay, rant over :p).

But seriously, hard to be too upset. Izzo has built a great program at Michigan State and it's easy to see why he would choose to go there. Wouldn't be surprised if this turns in a Dahlman situation however and he gets recruited over. It just stinks that the staff put so much time into him.

Hated his name anyhow. Tum, Tum ? What the heck is that? Plenty of good players out there other than the highly ranked guys. This year with a late start our class may have to include more under the radar guys. With the staff the Gophers have, I'm convinced we will get good players and in following years even better players.

A very mature post.

Looking forward to seeing the Gophers compete against, and beat, young Mr. Nairn.

Top Bottom