CARLOS MORRIS COMMITS TO THE U!!!

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: JUCO Guard Carlos Morris Down to 3 Schools, Plans on Visiting Minnesota This Weekend
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/288216?referrer_id=388419

Carlos Morris, a 6-foot-5, 160-pound sophomore guard from Chipola (FL) Junior College, is expected to visit Minnesota this weekend. Morris averaged 13.3 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.3 steals per game last season. He shot 44.4% from the field, 36.5% from three-point range and 77.4% from the charity stripe.

Gopher Hole caught up with Chipola head coach Pat Blake to learn the latest on his standout guard's recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on Carlos' recruitment right now?

Pat Blake: He has got a few schools in the mix. He has already visited Seton Hall and UAB and will visit Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: He is coming up to Minnesota this weekend, right?

Pat Blake: Right.

Gopher Hole: Has he kind of narrowed down his list to those schools or is he still looking at some others?

Pat Blake: Right now, it has been narrowed down to those three.

Gopher Hole: What do you see as his strengths as a player?

Pat Blake: He is a 6-5, very long and athletic wing. He is really skilled offensively. Makes shots. Penetrates and get his own shot at the rim and create shots for others. With his length and athleticism, he is a very good rebounder.

Gopher Hole: What are some of the things, like any player, that he needs to work on to improve himself and be ready to play at the next level?

Pat Blake: Probably, the biggest thing that he has got to improve on is his physical strength and body. He is 6-5 and a little lean. He can probably afford to add on some weight, but still being able to be effective.

Gopher Hole: I know that he originally committed to South Carolina and later de-committed. How did he end up at your place?

Pat Blake: We were just fortunate after that kind of happened. Academically, he wasn't going to be NCAA eligible and my staff did a good job putting him up with a family and we were fortunate enough to get him.

Gopher Hole: What do you think that he is looking for out of a NCAA Division I opportunity? What is going to be the main thing that is going to make him pick School A over School B or C?

Pat Blake: I think the style of play that fits him. A staff that he feels comfortable with and that will continue to develop him, not only as a player, but as a person.

Gopher Hole: He visited Seton the weekend of the 14th. He has visited UAB yet?

Pat Blake: No, he has not.

Gopher Hole: Do you know when he is going to visit there?

Pat Blake: I am not sure about that. I know that they are trying to set that up in the next couple of weeks.

Gopher Hole: Has Coach Pitino or any of the other coaches from Minnesota been down to your place?

Pat Blake: Yes. Dan McHale. He was down here, I want to say, the middle of last week.

Gopher Hole: Was has Carlos's relationship been with the Minnesota coaches so far?

Pat Blake: From what I can tell, it has been a really good relationship. Coach Pitino has done a great job and I think that Carlos has had some great conversations with Coach Pitino as well.

Gopher Hole: Chipola has a reputation as not only one of the top team in Florida, but in the country. I know that you have Cinmeon Bowers (who averaged 11. points and 6.9 rebounds), who committed to Florida State recently. What are the expectations for the team this year?

Pat Blake: Right now, it is a unique situation because we have five sophomores that are dealing with recruiting, going Division I. Right now, we are just focusing on get better, each and every day and when the games start in November, hopefully, we can get everyone on the same page and compete for a conference championship.

Gopher Hole: Has Carlos indicated to you that he is going to try to decide before the early signing period?

Pat Blake: I would imagine that he will make a decision before the early signing period.

I only watched a couples minutes, but he is very quick to the basket. Doesn't appear to have a B1G body. It must be depressing to play in front of such small crowds. Wish he could see the Barn on game day.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Surprised to hear Seton Hall is in final 3 for JUCO guard Carlos Morris. Backcourt seems pretty full. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23shbb&src=hash">#shbb</a></p>— Zach Braziller (@NYPost_Brazille) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/statuses/382712409833476097">September 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems like we may have a very good shot at this kid.

Not to sound insulting, but landing this kid wouldn't really excite me. A Juco without a track record, or the credentials to believe he would be able to make a nice impact in the Big Ten. Now, not saying the potential isn't there, but landing Morris just wouldn't do much at all for me.

Not to sound insulting, but landing this kid wouldn't really excite me. A Juco without a track record, or the credentials to believe he would be able to make a nice impact in the Big Ten. Now, not saying the potential isn't there, but landing Morris just wouldn't do much at all for me.

Go check the rankings. He was highly rated coming out of high school. He goes to a CC that is consistently among the best in the nation. I think he would be a good get. I'm wondering whether we're trying to get the other Florida guy (Henriquez) here first though ... With Vaughn waiting in the wings, we can only take one SG this fall.

He was a rivals top 150 player in the 2012 class

Top 150 kid out of high school with offers from Cincinnati and Arkansas among others. I think the track record is solid, but can't blame if you look at it like being in a final 3 with Seton Hall and UAB is less than inspiring. http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Carlos-Morris-112371

Seems like he'd be a good fit in Pitino's system. The more shooters we have the better. At the very least I think he can be a pretty good scorer off the bench.

This class is going to have a couple JUCOs who "don't impress". He has to acquire short term talent until he can get a full recruiting cycle on some of these kids. Expectations were inflated when we were on every 5 and 4*'s top 5 a couple months ago. We are coming back down to earth. This team is going to look more like Illinois than Louisville next year.

I am certainly not a guru when it comes to watching hoops on tape. However, this kids seems to have above average ball handling skills and can finish at the hoop or dish off effectively. He appears to have a quick first step/dribble and runs the floor very well.

His shooting form is a bit off as he leans one way at release but his 3pt stats look OK.

Defense? Who knows.

Pitino is at a disadvantage with the top recruits as he has no track record compared to the HC's at IU, MSU, OSU and Wisky. He may have to settle on kids with fewer stars and lower rankings to fill the class. Carlos may be a fall back but I think he would do OK in the BIG.

Is he really 6'5", 160? Dre Mathieu looks thin at 5'11" 160.....

per Sid:

• Chipola (Fla.) Junior College sophomore Carlos Morris is a 6-5, 175-pound guard who averaged 13.3 points per game last year. He is being heavily recruited by the Gophers and is expected to visit here this weekend. Chipola coach Patrick Blake used to be a student manager for Rick Pitino at Louisville, which might help Gophers coach Richard Pitino in the recruiting of Morris.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/225437042.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I'd be happy to at least get someone, anyone at this point.

I'd be happy to at least get someone, anyone at this point.

No need to panic. They still have more good prospects on their list left then they used to start the process with. I just looked at this kid's video- he looks great. Speed, length, a good handle and nice shooting form. Another nice potential recruit. We really just need to fill the 2/3 position and get a good power forward this fall. That's well within our reach.

I'm more impressed with him then some of the other recruits I've seen mentioned for this class. He would be a good 2/3 and shouldn't affect the recruitment of Vaughn.

I'm more impressed with him then some of the other recruits I've seen mentioned for this class. He would be a good 2/3 and shouldn't affect the recruitment of Vaughn.

Yeah, I think he'd be a great addition because he'd be a solid get (highly rated out of high school) and we'd still have just as good a shot at Vaughn.

Wow, this kid is a straight-up stud. I hope Rich can close him this weekend!

This kid looks like he could step in and fill Austin's shoes immediately. They have similar body types and both can shoot and handle well for a 2/3 guard.

That would be really, really thin. I'm guessing he's either not 6'5", or weighs more than 160. Probably the latter.

Those stats are from high school I would guess, looks to be at least 190, he's bigger than Austin Hollins.

So he de-committed to South Carolina as a Sr. in high school, and does anyone know why he went the JUCO route? I was actually pretty impressed w the highlights.

So he de-committed to South Carolina as a Sr. in high school, and does anyone know why he went the JUCO route? I was actually pretty impressed w the highlights.

My understanding is that he didn't qualify academically.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Coolin <a href="http://t.co/QBeF7alKnm">pic.twitter.com/QBeF7alKnm</a></p>— Carlos Morris (@Carlos_Morris11) <a href="https://twitter.com/Carlos_Morris11/statuses/386164516452446208">October 4, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Big dreams I been waitin on this day since I was 16</p>— Carlos Morris (@Carlos_Morris11) <a href="https://twitter.com/Carlos_Morris11/statuses/387775860868382720">October 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

??????

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Coolin <a href="http://t.co/QBeF7alKnm">pic.twitter.com/QBeF7alKnm</a></p>— Carlos Morris (@Carlos_Morris11) <a href="https://twitter.com/Carlos_Morris11/statuses/386164516452446208">October 4, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Big dreams I been waitin on this day since I was 16</p>— Carlos Morris (@Carlos_Morris11) <a href="https://twitter.com/Carlos_Morris11/statuses/387775860868382720">October 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

??????

Probably close to making a commitment.

I like our chances here. He is wearing a U of MN hat in his profile pic, he is following Rich Pitino, Dan McHale and Malik Smith. Although, he is also following the UAB coach too. Nonetheless, I like our chances.

I like our chances here. He is wearing a U of MN hat in his profile pic, he is following Rich Pitino, Dan McHale and Malik Smith. Although, he is also following the UAB coach too. Nonetheless, I like our chances.

Agreed. I'm going to say it: "There's a Gopher in my pants, and his name is Carlos."

Top Bottom