mid-night madness?

Lou Hudson

Reaction score
Is there no mid-night madness, Tubby's tip-off type event this year?

Is there no mid-night madness, Tubby's tip-off type event this year?

Hard to believe, but because of a change in rule the Gophers can start practices this coming Friday (9/27). Under the old rules, they couldn't have started practices until three weeks later.

Haven't heard a date for Minnesota's 'madness event', but would guess it'll be two to three weeks into October (weekend of Oct 11 or 18 perhaps).

Throughout college basketball now you have a lot of teams with an allowable start date of 9/27 this year, but a number of schools have a later date.. that said, it sounds like most are waiting until a couple of weeks into practice before having their event this year...

Hard to believe, but because of a change in rule the Gophers can start practices this coming Friday (9/27). Under the old rules, they couldn't have started practices until three weeks later.

Haven't heard a date for Minnesota's 'madness event', but would guess it'll be two to three weeks into October (weekend of Oct 11 or 18 perhaps).

Throughout college basketball now you have a lot of teams with an allowable start date of 9/27 this year, but a number of schools have a later date.. that said, it sounds like most are waiting until a couple of weeks into practice before having their event this year...

I think they are missing a great chance to draw a big crowd by not having an event on 9/27. There is already going to be a big crowd at the U for the Homecoming Parade that night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I think they are missing a great chance to draw a big crowd by not having an event on 9/27. There is already going to be a big crowd at the U for the Homecoming Parade that night.

I agree; in this thread from ~6 weeks ago I threw out thoughts on 9/28, after the Iowa game as well.. 9/27 also would make sense - could draw a big crowd I think. But, at this point I can't imagine they'd announce it less than a week in advance.

At least having it later will enable them to plan things a bit better and have the guys shake a little rust off...

I agree; in this thread from ~6 weeks ago I threw out thoughts on 9/28, after the Iowa game as well.. 9/27 also would make sense - could draw a big crowd I think. But, at this point I can't imagine they'd announce it less than a week in advance.

At least having it later will enable them to plan things a bit better and have the guys shake a little rust off...

Last year, Tubby's Tipoff was homecoming weekend because my roommate had to miss the concert to help run the event (he is a manager for the team). However, I haven't heard him talk about anything recently about Midnight Madness coming up.

I just asked the SID in the bball office, and he replied "There has not been a decision made on an event at this point" - so not sure what the U is going to do this year.

Last year, Tubby's Tipoff was homecoming weekend because my roommate had to miss the concert to help run the event (he is a manager for the team). However, I haven't heard him talk about anything recently about Midnight Madness coming up.
maybe try asking him? Would love to see some pro wrestling style introductions this year. Something really fun for the recruits and families that come out. You can't go over the top in this kind of event. Highlight reels with unique songs for every player, fireworks, etc.

Midnight Madness has jumped the shark.

Thought I heard somewhere they weren't doing it because it counts against your number of allowed official practices and they need all the practices they could get. Sounded like they're doing an open scrimmage instead.

Top Bottom