Impressed with Iverson

UofM Fan

Reaction score
Iverson really seems to be playing well tonight. Moving well and even getting an easy basket in transition. I'd like to see us work the ball to him even a bit more to see what he can do with some low post moves.

I also like his defense. He seems to get at least a finger on a lot of balls in the paint.

I agree with both Fan and MinnMarch. there were times that for a few instants the lobs to the basketside to Colton were there. That will come. Colton Iverson is more of a stud than I thought he would be at this point. This guy is gonna be something, given a year or two in the weight room. Proud of the Gopher win tonight. Devon helped out a lot when needed when Al got into a little foul trouble, but what a difference when Nolen came back in. Way to go Tubby's Crew. Congrats on a nice win. We're 7-0 now Sports Fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colton is Going to Be Something

Iverson really seems to be playing well tonight. Moving well and even getting an easy basket in transition. I'd like to see us work the ball to him even a bit more to see what he can do with some low post moves.

I agree. Iverson moves very well in transition and around the paint. You can tell he understands the game and has a real sense of what he is doing. He sure does not look like a freshman out there. Gopher fans, we have a star in the making with young Mr. Iverson.

He's been very impressive. Definately more polished then Sampson at this point, and frankly better then big John will ever be.

He's been very impressive. Definately more polished then Sampson at this point, and frankly better then big John will ever be.

Sorry to say that about a senior, but i must agree. What a pickup for us, especially with his free throws (SPENCER COUGH). What was his percentage tonight, anyone?

Sorry to say that about a senior, but i must agree. What a pickup for us, especially with his free throws (SPENCER COUGH). What was his percentage tonight, anyone?

Not sure, but only around 50% tonight, but not many attempts. He seems like he will shot FT's fairly well for a big guy though.

i have to admit that coming into the season i wasn't too impressed with iverson. i went to tubby tip-off and thought that he was too soft for a big guy and he wasn't coordinated. at first, i couldn't believe that florida was after this dude. me and my friends thought he was gonna be a big bust but so far he has proven us wrong. 9 blocks against BGSU? wow that is unheard of and tonight he had 14 points and 7 rebounds. this guy has definitely turned me into a believer. keep doin your thing iverson and the whole gophers basketball team

I have a feeling he'll be playing in the NBA someday. Is he good enough to leave early? (I'm not talking after this season, but maybe as a sophomore or junior)

Spencer "Brick" Tollackson is gone. Put him to rest. This year's Gophers are gonna be sweethearts of the Big 10.

I have a feeling he'll be playing in the NBA someday. Is he good enough to leave early? (I'm not talking after this season, but maybe as a sophomore or junior)

I wouldn't mind if you are right, but projecting someone to the NBA after 7 games in college when the best opponent he has gone up against is a team that will be lucky to finish around the middle of the ACC may be jumping the gun a little bit. He is playing very well for a frosh though.

There is something to be said for scoring 14 quietly, but I was really impressed by how "loud" Iverson played today. It seemed like he was always around, with a good follow up, rebound, whatever. He was a man out there, and lets not forget he is a freshman from South Dakota, who played his first nationally televised game. He really stepped it up on a bigger stage.

Iverson

He has been quite impressive and has definitely earned his minutes.

However, I disagree that the Gophs should go out of their way to get him that ball more and let him try some post moves. He is doing great picking up points by hustling downcourt, rolling to the basket and put backs. When he gets the ball in the post with his back to the basket it's a different matter. In fact, one of the things I like best about him so far is that seems to know his current limitations and doesn't force anything.

I don't think they should be looking for him to post up in games such as today, but in any games in the future that are out of hand we should be giving our young big guys a chance to work a little on the block. Right now our team lacks someone who can score with his back to the basket. Having a guy who can post up can only make out team better.

Also, we were talking at our house... it was amazing watching a freshman (or anyone for that matter) not rush bunnies and miss them for a change. Colt would get the ball, gather himself, and then put it up. Very impressed with him tonight.

iverson and maturity

We thought the same thing watching the game. For a freshman, he was steady, not intimidated and put himself in a position to make a play more often than not. His upside is really terrific, especially as he fills out.

Is (Iverson) good enough to leave early? (I'm not talking after this season, but maybe as a sophomore or junior)
I hope the "Lesson of Rick Rickert" is mandatory reading for all new Gophers.

It's been such a long time since we've had a decent center that it's giving us vapors. :)

I hope the "Lesson of Rick Rickert" is mandatory reading for all new Gophers.

It's been such a long time since we've had a decent center that it's giving us vapors. :)

I think the lesson of RR is that he waited too long. If he had left after his freshman year he would have been a mid first round choice. By the second year the weaknesses of his game were exposed and he was hurt by Monson's mishandling of the team.

Iverson doesn't compare to RR as a freshman. He will be a very, very good B10 player and could make it to the NBA. It will take three or four years, however.

A potential star in the making, no doubt. When he fills out, he'll be force down low, we already are getting a taste of it. It's great to see a true freshman center go up and over people to slam a few shots each game.

I love Iverson as much as the next guy, but I CLEARLY remember talk on this board about Rico Tucker after he had played a couple of games his freshman year. There was discussion about whether he would be here for four years or leave early for the NBA....my point is, we should all just take a deep breath and enjoy the victory!

I think the lesson of RR is that he waited too long. If he had left after his freshman year he would have been a mid first round choice. By the second year the weaknesses of his game were exposed and he was hurt by Monson's mishandling of the team.

Iverson doesn't compare to RR as a freshman. He will be a very, very good B10 player and could make it to the NBA. It will take three or four years, however.

While I agree that RR would probably have been a first round choice if he'd gone a year earlier, he still would have been a bust. The lesson is that you can look really slick and be nowhere near capable of playing in the NBA

Perhaps ... but in either scenario, he wasn't skilled enough to stick. I think Rickert may have been a journey-man NBA player had he stayed a couple more years and further developed.

And that's the Rickert Lesson, IMO.

Unfortunately today there are two warring issues regarding these young players. The NBA seems to prefer potential over the finished product. So from the standpoint of Rick's signing value he probably should have left after being a frosh to grab the short term gold. I agree with Jim V2 he would have been a bust- but he'd have gotten the cash as a late first rounder.

From the view of improving as a player and maturing he probably should have stayed four years.
I believe that would have given him a better chance of sticking in the league for the long term as a journeyman type player- so I also agree with Snowman. As it turns out he left at the absolute WORST time: he left after his "potential value" was maxed and before he matured as a player.

I agree, I'm thoroughly impressed so far by Colton. I didn't expect this from our lowest-rated recruit coming from South Dakota, I have to admit! He's coordinated, and has a nose for getting to the ball and he's shown great judgement. At this point, he looks better than Sampson, and Tubby's playing time is reflecting this. On the other hand, I think Sampson has just as much potential and that the two of them could become a very nice duo by next year already.

I for one will still be happy to see J. Williams back. We need another big body to go along with our 3 long bodies (Iverson, Sampson, and DJ), he provides that. Williams also showed some glimpses of great play last year, and filled in well when subbing for Tollackson at the end of last year, and did a good job on the defensive boards (IMO Tollackson was better on the offensive boards and had better offensive moves, though).

Next year, believe it or not, the Gophers will be both BIG and FAST, with the additions of the 3 forwards (Mbakwe, White, R. Williams).

As for the other young guys, Joseph has shown some glimpses of greatness so far, but I've seen other freshman guards across the country doing much more. But he's not playing as much as some of them. Carter looks promising and hopefully he comes back soon. Bostick I'm surprised that I haven't seen more from yet. He just seems tentative - I think Bostick thrives being THE man, and may be one of those guys who doesn't play as well when he's not the go-to guy. He shows talent, and I have faith that by the end of this year he'll be a prominent player for us, but right now he seems to be out of position too much and he's not finding open spots on the floor. I think if Bostick has one big game he's going to bust out with that confidence that he needs.

Top Bottom