College coaches used A&Ms Billy Kennedy Parkinson's disease against him in recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
College coaches used A&Ms Billy Kennedy Parkinson's disease against him in recruiting

per CBS:

Alex Robinson has been a desirable prospect for several years and a priority for Texas A&M since at least the summer of 2012. Other coaches knew this, of course, because coaches know everything. And though most in the profession frown upon negative recruiting -- and almost all would tell you that they'd never use the fact that Texas A&M's Billy Kennedy is battling Parkinson's disease against him -- the truth is that that's not true.

Coaches absolutely use it against Kennedy.

Alex Robinson told me as much on Tuesday afternoon.

"They actually did [use Kennedy's Parkinson's diagnosis against Texas A&M]," Robinson said by phone a few minutes after the top-50 prospect committed to Texas A&M just 48 hours following a weekend visit. "But I just kinda brushed it off like, 'Hey, that's part of recruiting. [The other coaches are just] trying to get me to their school.'"

Meantime, rival coaches have been killing Kennedy on the recruiting trail.

I know this because I've heard about it from several sources.

And Robinson confirmed everything I'd heard on Tuesday.

"I don't want to get into that," Robinson answered when I asked for the names of specific schools and/or coaches who had tried to use Kennedy's diagnosis against him, and I respect him for taking the high road. Robinson isn't interested in making anybody look bad. But, again, Robinson did acknowledge that rival coaches talked to him about Kennedy having Parkinson's disease, and that just seems like something that professionals and so-called leaders of young men should be above.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...to-am-and-ignored-lots-of-negative-recruiting

Go Gophers!!

If I was being recruited by Kill and someone said "You wanna play for a coach that has seizures?"

I'd click the end call button and text him to never call / text me again. How effin childish.

Actually, hitting end call would be more childish than engaging in the conversation whether you agree with the comment or not.

If I was being recruited by Kill and someone said "You wanna play for a coach that has seizures?"

I'd click the end call button and text him to never call / text me again. How effin childish.

They wouldn't put it like that. But programs definitely used Kill's cancer against him in recruiting.

They wouldn't put it like that. But programs definitely used Kill's cancer against him in recruiting.

As much as people want to deny it, Kill himself has said other schools negatively recruit by trying to use his health issues as a argument against playing for Kill.

And whether it's health, money, team performance (good or bad), other jobs, etc,.... this goes on. "That's a nice other school you're looking at.. but, just kind of tough to know if Coach _____ is going to be there when you get there. Not so stable because of ____."

Top Bottom