Baseball at Mizzou...mid week series

Reaction score
Gophers are underway on the road vs. the Tigers, trailing 1-0 after one. Sounds like Mizzou is not living up to their pre-season expectations, and the Gophers have surpassed my expectations so far this year, so this could be an interesting two games. Go Gophers.

Gophers up 6-1

Missouri is 15-16 on the year yet they are still tied at #36 with the Gophers in the USA Today Poll. A quick look at there schedule and they lost to Oregon St. and twice to #1 Arizona State in the non conference. In Big 12 play, they won 2 of 3 at Texas A&M, and have lost 2 of 3 against Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. LincolnGopher can probably explain more about them, I assumed they would be alot better but I don't know much about them other than Senne.

Gophers started freshman Austin lubinsky and so far he has been solid. Gave up a lead off Home Run in the first but has pitched 4 innings, giving up 4 hits with only one walk. I imagine neither team is using a weekend starter so it's important to get innings out of Lubinsky and I assume Klabunde tomarrow.

Gopher True Freshman LF Justin Gominsky hit his first career Home Run in the second, a three run shot and as I am typing this Kyle Knudson just hit a three run bomb in the fifth to put the Gophers up 6-1.

Bechstein in to pitch for the fifth, looks like Anderson is going to piece together a couple games with the bullpen.

Of course Bechstein loads the bases and gives up a single to Senne to score two, 6-3 Gophers after 5.

Bechstein gives up a single and walk to start the sixth and he gets pulled.

Luke Rasmussen comes in and gives up a laser but it's caught by Mccullum and flipped to short for the double play and then gets a ground out to get out of trouble.

6-3 through 6.

Gophers win 7-3

Luke Rasmussen comes in and saves the day pitching 4 scoreless innings to get the 7-3 win.

Rasmussen looked pretty good from what I saw. Was around the zone and was pretty poised even when he got into a little trouble in the seventh.

Lubinsky looked very good for a first-time starter. Settled down after that lead off homer and did a good job of keeping Missouri off balance for the most part.

Nice to see Justin Gominsky and Kyle Knudson each come up with a three-run jack. Eric Decker also had two hits, including a key double and run scored in the seventh. And the defense was outstanding for the Gophers today!!!!:clap::clap:

Nice win for the guys. Apparently, the radio guys are expecting Dustin Klabunde to start tomorrow. Have no idea who goes for Missouri but hopefully the guys will be able to get another win and get some more positive momentum going heading into this weekend's games with Northwestern!!:D:D

Missouri is 15-16 on the year yet they are still tied at #36 with the Gophers in the USA Today Poll. A quick look at there schedule and they lost to Oregon St. and twice to #1 Arizona State in the non conference. In Big 12 play, they won 2 of 3 at Texas A&M, and have lost 2 of 3 against Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State. LincolnGopher can probably explain more about them, I assumed they would be alot better but I don't know much about them other than Senne.

Gophers started freshman Austin lubinsky and so far he has been solid. Gave up a lead off Home Run in the first but has pitched 4 innings, giving up 4 hits with only one walk. I imagine neither team is using a weekend starter so it's important to get innings out of Lubinsky and I assume Klabunde tomarrow.

Gopher True Freshman LF Justin Gominsky hit his first career Home Run in the second, a three run shot and as I am typing this Kyle Knudson just hit a three run bomb in the fifth to put the Gophers up 6-1.

Missouri is down a little this year. Played a decent non confernce schedule. They have had an outstanding pitching staff the last 2 years and most of it is gone. They still have a very good Friday starter, but most of the rest is fairly new. As far as the Big 12 goes it is absolutely brutal this year. The best I have seen it from top to bottom in many years, so that explains the loses to Big 12 teams. Not many teams are going to win more than 1 of 3 from Oklahoma, Texas and Oklahoma State this year. Still a very good road win for the Gophers.

So much for getting a sweep against the Tigers. Klabunde and Oakes have pitched so far and both have been terrible, allowing 14 runs in two innings of work as the Gophers trail 14-1 after two-and-a-half. I'm not sure how many walks they have between them, but it's got to be 7 or 8 after just two frames.....YIKES!!!!!:eek:

Hopefully, we'll at least be able to score some more runs before the day is out. :eek:

Gophers lose 20-5, looking at the box, 14 walks for gopher pitchers and 5 hit batters. Klabunde is going to be needed next year to start but so far he has been pretty bad.

Oh well, a split is what we wanted but would of liked to see a better game today.

The only thing that really frustrates me about this is that our pitchers didn't even give us a chance. You can't have your starter issue a bunch of walks, then have your first reliever come in and issue a bunch more walks and hit-batsmen, and so on and so forth. Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened today..:mad:

But like you said, we were probably looking for a split anyway. Hopefully, Handran, Buske and Rosin can get the guys back on track against Northwestern this weekend...

Does anyone know where Phil Isaksson is? Has he left the team? Redshirting? Injured?

If he is redshirting, Coach Anderson may want to rethink doing so. Oakes and Bechstein are overmatched at this level. Nothing is going to change. They will continue to get rocked. Klabunde and Ryan are still young so they have a chance in the future. As of now though, they can't be counted on to succeed.

The problem is that the Gophers are only 8 (including Scott Fern) pitchers deep realistically. This needs to be addressed or they are going to lose some mid-week games to some bad teams.

Personally, I would pull Isaksson's redshirt if that is what is going on with him. This team has a chance to be pretty special but they need to improve the depth of their pitching. He is a far better arm than Oakes and Bechstein and also adds another much needed lefty to the staff.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone that knows Isaksson's status.

Top Bottom