JP Macura commits to Xavier

GameDay

Reaction score
Per his twitter account. Whoa................... That came out of the blue. I'm speechless, and I'm not really even sure what to say or think right now. So many questions behind this decision.

Lets start with this, I'm pretty dissapointed, and not sure what made him so interested in Xavier. This whole recruiting class just seems to be going downhill, and when push comes to shove, it's pretty humbling when nobody wants to be apart of this program, even the ones closest to it.
*Reaction, thoughts, and opinions: Go

This might be over dramatic but I just lost all faith In pitino

I give him a pass because he came in late to this, but at the same time, he didn't jump on Macura right when he got the job, so maybe that factored into the mix.

I don't know. This really sucks though

Well, he was as likely as any to come here. Things are looking pretty sparse to say the least now. It really seems to be Tum Tum or nothing.

Don't think you can give Pitino a pass on this one I player like Rashad Vaughn and Whitehead yeah probably, but its not like Macura was getting recruited by Kentucky or Syracuse

Cross him off the list, he is no longer of importance to the maroon and gold nation

Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, St Johns, Marquette, Providence, Villanova, Seton Hall. Arguably the best basketball conference in America.

Big 10 (as good as any conference around). and stay home to be a hometown favorite?

again, WHY?!

I am beginning to wonder if the Gophers are just an object of curiosity when it comes to the top tier recruits. The big spear head signing has not yet materialized, and probably will not. I hope I am proven wrong. Although Pitino has a pedigree name, that may not be enough to sway players who has NBA aspirations.

I am beginning to wonder if the Gophers are just an object of curiosity when it comes to the top tier recruits. The big spear head signing has not yet materialized, and probably will not. I hope I am proven wrong. Although Pitino has a pedigree name, that may not be enough to sway players who has NBA aspirations.

As an answer to your first sentence, I'd say absolutely right now, and there's nothing to prove that any of these players are looking at us beyond the curiosity factor, sparing maybe Tum Tum... Maybe.

Wonder if he was afraid of Pitino adding higher ranked wings, both in 2014 and beyond. Oh well, time to move on to other recruits.

pretty bad new to say the least... Most of the 20-30 player list of guys that we originally posted all over GH has committed elsewhere or are the Elite level players like Vaughn, Whitehead, Jones, Travis, etc... It's really not looking good when you consider whose on those guys list.

Couple reasons why Macura left.

1. Pitino's been here 4 months. Other coaching staff's have been building relationships with JP for quite a while, there's no way JP would have the trust in Pitino and his staff that he has with the others.
2. He's never seen a Richard Pitino team play. He has no idea if Pitino can cut it in the B1G.
3. I'm 100% certain he never felt wanted like the other 3 from the state. The Minnesota coaches and the fans paid way more attention to the "Big 3" while i'm sure at Xavier they made him feel wanted much more than we ever did.
4. Why would a kid want to put his faith in a coach that was nowhere near the school's first choice? That just makes no sense.

If you're upset about us losing JP...I don't look forward to seeing the reaction to us losing Tyus, Reid and Vaughn. Pitino needs to prove himself before he can get top recruits. Common sense guys.

1. Pitino's been here 4 months. Other coaching staff's have been building relationships with JP for quite a while, there's no way JP would have the trust in Pitino and his staff that he has with the others.
2. He's never seen a Richard Pitino team play. He has no idea if Pitino can cut it in the B1G.
3. I'm 100% certain he never felt wanted like the other 3 from the state. The Minnesota coaches and the fans paid way more attention to the "Big 3" while i'm sure at Xavier they made him feel wanted much more than we ever did.
4. Why would a kid want to put his faith in a coach that was nowhere near the school's first choice? That just makes no sense.

If you're upset about us losing JP...I don't look forward to seeing the reaction to us losing Tyus, Reid and Vaughn. Pitino needs to prove himself before he can get top recruits. Common sense guys.

Let me guess you hated the Tubby firing and as a result are anti-Pitino and probably anti-Teague. Cool.

Well, we would have had an even worse shot at JP if Tubby had stayed because Tubby hadn't recruited him AT ALL.

Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Georgetown, St Johns, Marquette, Providence, Villanova, Seton Hall. Arguably the best basketball conference in America.

This would make sense if the Gophers were in Conference USA or something.

Unless you're a coach or a friend/family member of Macura, you have no idea if this is true.

Let me guess you hated the Tubby firing and as a result are anti-Pitino and probably anti-Teague. Cool.

Well, we would have had an even worse shot at JP if Tubby had stayed because Tubby hadn't recruited him AT ALL.

Nope I actually created this account back in January to vent about how much I disliked Tubby. I like the Pitino hiring a ton but again he needs to prove himself like all new young coaches.

This would make sense if the Gophers were in Conference USA or something.

Correct but Xavier isn't in Conference USA either. Chance to play in some great gyms. Not to mention the Big East conference tourney every year at MSG. And quite frankly, as of now, a better basketball program.

The sky is not falling. He wasn't recruited much by Tubby so he'd been looking around. Now we have a new coach, one he's only known 4 mos. Whitehead & Vaughn play the same position he does. Ryan James says the main reason is the coach he liked the most during his recruitment is an assistant at Xavier. Then his official visit last weekend went very well & boom, he committed. Good luck to JP, we'll be ok.

Best of luck to JP. As a fan I can never be mad at a high school kid for choosing what they want to do. Would have loved to have him on the squad though. Hopefully he can be a ganster in the locker room at Xavier.

Correct but Xavier isn't in Conference USA either. Chance to play in some great gyms. Not to mention the Big East conference tourney every year at MSG. And quite frankly, as of now, a better basketball program.

As a Marquette fan I am as happy as anyone the way the Big East Conference turned out, but you are crazy if you think it's among the best conferences in the country. They lost a lot of great programs to the ACC and Brad Stevens leaving Butler could mean one of it's high profile programs could quickly become a bottom feeder team. Not to mention Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and DePaul are all mediocre and were the worst basketball programs in the old Big East. Georgetown and Marquette are currently the flagship teams in the conference, which doesn't hold up against the Big Ten (Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State etc.) and the ACC (Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse etc.).

Here are some of Chris Monter's tweets:

Macura texted me "I feel really comfortable with the coaching staff.. And I know they can make me become the best player possible! "

I asked Macura "How hard was it to say no to Minnesota and Creighton?
His response: Hard!!

@bphof21 - I always felt Macura wanted to go to a smaller school where he could play right away. The smaller class size was also appealing

1. False. Xavier entered the mix for JP after the Gophers did.
2. False. He has watched tape on Pitino's style of play.
3. False. The Gophers recruited him aggressively and really wanted him. He knew that. He made 4 visits to campus at the behest of the coaching staff. The kid could care less about the attention the other 3 were getting.
4. The comment makes no sense.

1. False. Xavier entered the mix for JP after the Gophers did.
2. False. He has watched tape on Pitino's style of play.
3. False. The Gophers recruited him aggressively and really wanted him. He knew that. He made 4 visits to campus at the behest of the coaching staff. The kid could care less about the attention the other 3 were getting.
4. The comment makes no sense.

1. They offered in July but showed interest before then along with making appearances at his AAU games.
2. Now you're probably right about this but there is still uncertainty around whether Pitino's style can translate to the B1G.
3. The Gophers have recruited everyone available hard. They've had to because of how late they've got into recruiting this class. They also really want(ed) Vaughn, Whitehead, Francis, Cohen and Blackmon Jr. It's obvious he was one of many options and as he's said after committing he got the feeling from the Xavier staff that he'd play right away. If he got the same feeling during those 4 visits here then he wouldn't of committed so soon after his Xavier visit no?
4. If Pitino wasn't our first choice then why would he be the kid's?

While I admit I don't recall hearing his name much if at all while Tubby was coach, I'm pretty sure he didn't have even a single high major offer as recently as this past April or May, and now he is a top 100 recruit according to a couple different places. Seems like he went from being a nobody to fairly highly regarded in a relatively short amount of time. Thought I'd heard it said he only started playing basketball in the last year or two, but not sure about that.

Best of luck to JP. As a fan I can never be mad at a high school kid for choosing what they want to do. Would have loved to have him on the squad though. Hopefully he can be a ganster in the locker room at Xavier.

I'm sorry, but I can't be Mr. Water under the Bridge. While I don't wish ill will towards anyone not attending MN. Macura can rot on the end of the Xavier bench as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom