1500: Gophers alum Rodney Williams set to sign multi-year deal with 76ers

Good for him. Great athlete and regardless of what sport, there are always coaches and personnel guys who are willing to bet on athletes.

Congrats to Rodney! Always represented the U with class. Awesome news for him an his family!

Nice to have another Gopher sign an NBA deal.

Way to go Rodney, great to hear!

I now have a reason to catch a sixer's game!

Nothing stunning about Rodney playing in the NBA D league making 13-25K per season. D league is one place where he might DEVELOP

Nothing stunning about Rodney playing in the NBA D league making 13-25K per season. D league is one place where he might DEVELOP

Assuming he doesn't make the roster and does play in the D league, still not a bad gig. They do get called up to the bigs from time to time. While the salaries are low. They get housing covered, travel (duh) and a per diem around $40 to $50 a day. So, not the big time, but its not a bad gig for trying to make a name for yourself playing hoops.

Congrats to Rodney that's awesome! Proud of him! NBA minimum salary is around $500k. I know NBDL salary is really low but I believe the Sixers will be paying him so I'd imagine it would be the higher one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Congrats to Rodney! I really hope he continues to improve and can earn some time/money in the big leagues.

Good to see. If he develops a jumper......kid could be a factor in the NBA. Got my fingers crossed.

First of all, congrats to Rodney! Local top 100 kid who stayed home and is now getting paid by an NBA team. Hopefully, his best basketball is still ahead of him.

On the subject of the contract itself, the guarantee is obviously the key. We will see how likely he is to make the roster based on how much of that first year is guaranteed. IF the 76ers want him on their Dleague team, they will either have to keep him on their 15 man roster and send him down there for playing time (paying his full salary) OR release him at the end of training camp, hope nobody picks him up, and hope he agrees to play for their Dleague team.

Good to see. If he develops a jumper......kid could be a factor in the NBA. Got my fingers crossed.

And shooting is the one skill that can be developed. He passes the course at the J Clinic and he could make some coin. I'm frankly not that surprised that someone is taking a flyer on him. Kid is a tremendous athlete and the NBA is all about running up and down the court.

Like MLB can't the big league team sign a player to a real contract & then designate him to the D league? i.e. Who cares if you're making $24k a year if you already got a $3 million signing bonus?

And shooting is the one skill that can be developed. He passes the course at the J Clinic and he could make some coin. I'm frankly not that surprised that someone is taking a flyer on him. Kid is a tremendous athlete and the NBA is all about running up and down the court.

I really think his niche might be as a defender off the bench. His defense as a 3 (not so much as a 4) was underrated. I thought he quietly was one of the best defenders in the B1G for years.

I'm really excited for him. Rodney always struck me as one of the good guys. He stayed home, he fought hard through some difficult times, he may have been the most entertaining player in Gopher history, and he gave us some amazing memories. I hope he has a good NBA career.

I really think his niche might be as a defender off the bench. His defense as a 3 (not so much as a 4) was underrated. I thought he quietly was one of the best defenders in the B1G for years.

Yep, they aren't signing him cause they think he'll develop into an offensive threat. They likely see his defensive potential (which is through the roof honestly with his athleticism), and envision him maybe becoming a Bruce Bowen type, who can find a niche shot (corner three), and be a guy who can defend wings.

When you see highlights like below, he's got raw ability to defend that when honed in...wow.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H78fgumBzs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3mOSnV1JEKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet. Didn't see that happening, but I am glad for him.

Top Bottom