Updated 2014 Rivals 150

The days of Tyus being the #2 player in his class are in the rear-view mirror. He doesn't have the size/athleticism to project to that position in this class. Ten years from now, some people might be thinking "how did Tyus Jones get rated so highly in his class" with bigger, more athletic players ranked behind him.

The days of Tyus being the #2 player in his class are in the rear-view mirror. He doesn't have the size/athleticism to project to that position in this class. Ten years from now, some people might be thinking "how did Tyus Jones get rated so highly in his class" with bigger, more athletic players ranked behind him.

Yep. Jones is a fantastic college prospect, but he isn't a fantastic pro prospect. Guys ranked below him will have better pro careers and get drafted ahead of him. Don't get me wrong, I want him to be the Gophers' s point guard more than any other player. But other players are catching up to him.

I hope Vaughn passes him in the final update.

Really ! OSU FAN....Van Coleman Future stars 150 has him 1st, Scout 2nd, Espn 3rd with a tie for first with a grade rating of 97. Rodney Williams is a lot Bigger and Athletic then several NBA players... where is he playing??? We are talking basketball not a track event!Default
The days of Tyus being the #2 player in his class are in the rear-view mirror. He doesn't have the size/athleticism to project to that position in this class. Ten years from now, some people might be thinking "how did Tyus Jones get rated so highly in his class" with bigger, more athletic players ranked behind him How many Guys were bigger and more athletic than John Stockton....THINK before you post

Really ! OSU FAN....Van Coleman Future stars 150 has him 1st, Scout 2nd, Espn 3rd with a tie for first with a grade rating of 97. Rodney Williams is a lot Bigger and Athletic then several NBA players... where is he playing??? We are talking basketball not a track event!Default
The days of Tyus being the #2 player in his class are in the rear-view mirror. He doesn't have the size/athleticism to project to that position in this class. Ten years from now, some people might be thinking "how did Tyus Jones get rated so highly in his class" with bigger, more athletic players ranked behind him How many Guys were bigger and more athletic than John Stockton....THINK before you post

Are you kidding? Rodney Williams was not ranked #2 in his class, he isn't in the 2014 class, either so it's not like he's really relevant to the discussion here. There are plenty of big, athletic players that don't amount to much, but you never see a guy who is a 6'1" average length- and athleticism-wise PG ranked #2 in his class as you think Tyus should be. You think Tyus Jones is a HOF PG (a la John Stockton)? THINK before you post

You're going to see a ton of players in the 2014 class in the NBA, and Tyus will be one of them, but most people think he's not going to be a stand out in the NBA when it's all said and done, and you can bet the farm that there will be more than one other guy who will have a better NBA career than Jones in this 2014 class.

Does Rubio for the wolves have more athletic ability than any other point guard in the NBA? But the thing that him and Tyus have in common is that they make their teammates better with great passing ability. Tyus will have a long nba career he just has the "it" factor that a point guard needs

Does Rubio for the wolves have more athletic ability than any other point guard in the NBA? But the thing that him and Tyus have in common is that they make their teammates better with great passing ability. Tyus will have a long nba career he just has the "it" factor that a point guard needs

Rubio also has excellent size for a PG at 6'4...

You're going to see a ton of players in the 2014 class in the NBA, and Tyus will be one of them, but most people think he's not going to be a stand out in the NBA when it's all said and done, and you can bet the farm that there will be more than one other guy who will have a better NBA career than Jones in this 2014 class.

Think you're mad he's not going to OSU.

Could be but I can't think of a 2012-2013 college PG that was as good as Jones is as a junior in high school, he's going to be a terrifc NBA PG, much more explosive than Rubio and might be have better basketball skills.

Some guys peak early, I think that is the case with Jones. I guess we'll see but I just don't see a lot of potential upside with Jones, and I don't see a potential HOF PG like some here seem to think he is. A very good player, a future NBA player, just not an NBA superstar.

I'm not inclined to be a fan of Jones partly because he's basically been trying to get Jahlil Okafor to not go to my team all summer. I feel if it weren't for Jones then OSU would have a great shot at Okafor, maybe where he would've gone ultimately. But with Jones' influence, he's probably going to follow Jones to Duke.

I guess we'll see but I just don't see a lot of potential upside with Jones, and I don't see a potential HOF PG like some here seem to think he is.

The state of Minnesota has one and only one D1 school, the U of M. Many of us grew up in the Twin Cities, played or watched high school basketball in the Twin Cities, and to us Minnesota basketball is synonymous with U of M basketball. We have been following Tyus Jones for five -- FIVE -- years. He was regularly in the local news as an eighth grader. He is widely regarded as the best prospect to come out of Minnesota in the last 15 years, and maybe ever. The point I'm trying to make is that we Gopher fans feel very invested in Tyus Jones, so to the extent you think the opinion is higher here, well yeah, of course.

But I think more objectively, Tyus Jones should be the most desired prospect in this entire class, because I think he'll have the best college career partly for the reasons you mention. He's a great player but not one that the NBA will promptly snatch out of college. He's the kind of player most likely to stay multiple years and build a team around him, make the players around him better, attract players to join him, and lead it to a championship. We would very much like that to be here, though every outside indication is that's not likely.

These are college rankings, not projections for success in the NBA. And the two should not be confused.

There are guys like Teddy Dupay, who was a McDonald's all-american, played really well in college and never converted that to NBA success. It might have something to do with becoming a weed advocate in Utah, but that's another story.

The short story is that for my purposes, I want to see Tyus have great success in his college career, and I want to the that happen at "The U". And I think that he is going to be a memorable college PG. If he has success in the NBA...great. That's just a bonus.

" I feel if it weren't for Jones then OSU would have a great shot at Okafor"
Funny around here we feel if it wasn't for Okafor we would have a great shot at Tyus

These are college rankings, not projections for success in the NBA. And the two should not be confused.

There are guys like Teddy Dupay, who was a McDonald's all-american, played really well in college and never converted that to NBA success. It might have something to do with becoming a weed advocate in Utah, but that's another story.

The short story is that for my purposes, I want to see Tyus have great success in his college career, and I want to the that happen at "The U". And I think that he is going to be a memorable college PG. If he has success in the NBA...great. That's just a bonus.

Actually, Rivals has said on more than one occasion that they're projecting NBA success. I'm pretty confident 247 sports is the same. Not sure about ESPN or Scout, but I'd guess they are projecting college success.

Top Bottom