David Shama says U's lack of facilities could lead to us being forced out of Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

There might come a time when the Big Ten decides schools that aren’t investing in their athletic programs are also not worthy of membership in the historic conference. “I think that’s a possibility,” Mark Sheffert told Sports Headliners.

“There was a report a couple of years ago that showed Minnesota was second to last (in the Big Ten) in re-investing (in facilities),” Sheffert said. “Purdue was last. We were also second to last in donations to the athletic department.”

That’s the kind of stuff that one day might lead to head scratching in the Big Ten office in Chicago about Minnesota’s future.

“We continue to fall behind…teams that are competitive,” Sheffert said. “We have to start with the idea that football, basketball and hockey are the entertainment business. They are (played by) student athletes and we owe it to them to provide the best facilities (for academics and athletics) that we can. We are at a competitive disadvantage when recruiting the best players in the country.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

The threat of being forced out of the B1G would probably be the best thing that has ever happened for our basketball and football teams. It is going to take something very drastic like this to get the type of support our teams need. Very difficult to make up for decades of neglect.

per Shama:

There might come a time when the Big Ten decides schools that aren’t investing in their athletic programs are also not worthy of membership in the historic conference. “I think that’s a possibility,” Mark Sheffert told Sports Headliners.

“There was a report a couple of years ago that showed Minnesota was second to last (in the Big Ten) in re-investing (in facilities),” Sheffert said. “Purdue was last. We were also second to last in donations to the athletic department.”

That’s the kind of stuff that one day might lead to head scratching in the Big Ten office in Chicago about Minnesota’s future.

“We continue to fall behind…teams that are competitive,” Sheffert said. “We have to start with the idea that football, basketball and hockey are the entertainment business. They are (played by) student athletes and we owe it to them to provide the best facilities (for academics and athletics) that we can. We are at a competitive disadvantage when recruiting the best players in the country.”

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota is a charter member of the conference, I don't think any charter member can be kicked out, I think they can choose to leave but not forced out. I think the conference would have to be disbanded and recreated to accomplish that, there is alot more to the conference than Football and Basketball.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

If I click the link I will drive traffic to the Web site and encourage more poor gossipy trash in the future. I'd rather not click that link.

This is completely absurd. It's also fear mongering and borderline blackmail tactics that people like David Stern and the Wilf's use. The Wilf's were never going to leave, and they have no where else to go now. No one will deal with them after this other than us. Besides, LA's stadium proposed stadium completely collapsed.

I don't want to see another "build it or else" article. Stop scaring and lying to people.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

I have never read something so uneducated. Can't keep my mouth shut on this one. Yes, as Jovs said, we are a charter member. The conversation at a top level would never even get started, much less gain traction and move to us being potentially kicked out.

And in regards to athletic facilities, many people on this board need to stop with the tunnel vision and fanboyism towards basketball and our facilities. Yes, we are behind in terms of a basketball practice facility. But you all must have missed that one time when they built TCF Bank. Baseball is coming, and with all due respect, Hockey is bigger than Baskeball at the U. Teague may not be fond of this, but it is simply a fact. I don't see the hockey team chirping about their facilities. Additionally, the olympic sports are just fine as well. Swimming has a great facility, the PAV and Williams are adequate for wrestling, and the Track is good enough for a school in the BIG - if you disagree, then please let me know how you think the track team is recruiting high caliber kids and competing for Indoor and Outdoor titles year in and year out. So, please remind me again how there is a chance that we kicked out of the conference?

If I click the link I will drive traffic to the Web site and encourage more poor gossipy trash in the future. I'd rather not click that link.

This is completely absurd. It's also fear mongering and borderline blackmail tactics that people like David Stern and the Wilf's use. The Wilf's were never going to leave, and they have no where else to go now. No one will deal with them after this other than us. Besides, LA's stadium proposed stadium completely collapsed.

I don't want to see another "build it or else" article. Stop scaring and lying to people.

Read the article then edit your post.

Don't bitch unless you know what you are bitching about.

Read the article then edit your post.

Don't bitch unless you know what you are bitching about.

If it has anything to do even tangentially with the Gophers being kicked out of the conference I don't need to read it. It's trash.

The Gophers cannot be kicked out. Basic background research would have brought that to light. Giving someone a voice to fear monger about something that cannot happen is bad journalism.

If it has anything to do even tangentially with the Gophers being kicked out of the conference I don't need to read it. It's trash.

The Gophers cannot be kicked out. Basic background research would have brought that to light. Giving someone a voice to fear monger about something that cannot happen is bad journalism.

Says it all.

Idiotic article, but we do need to upgrade our facilities big time asap. Otherwise the university will never realize it's full potential.

I have never read something so uneducated. Can't keep my mouth shut on this one. Yes, as Jovs said, we are a charter member. The conversation at a top level would never even get started, much less gain traction and move to us being potentially kicked out.

And in regards to athletic facilities, many people on this board need to stop with the tunnel vision and fanboyism towards basketball and our facilities. Yes, we are behind in terms of a basketball practice facility. But you all must have missed that one time when they built TCF Bank. Baseball is coming, and with all due respect, Hockey is bigger than Baskeball at the U. Teague may not be fond of this, but it is simply a fact. I don't see the hockey team chirping about their facilities. Additionally, the olympic sports are just fine as well. Swimming has a great facility, the PAV and Williams are adequate for wrestling, and the Track is good enough for a school in the BIG - if you disagree, then please let me know how you think the track team is recruiting high caliber kids and competing for Indoor and Outdoor titles year in and year out. So, please remind me again how there is a chance that we kicked out of the conference?

While that is a debatable statement, you are likely correct. But the fact remains that there is truth in that comment, is the problem.

Basketball has the potential of being and possibly already is a much greater revenue generator, and it gets treated like Men's Baseball at some universities. I think what is more likely would be for the U to drop Basketball so they wouldn't get dinged for having sh!tty facilities before the B1G kicked us out.

And for what it's worth, I'm not of the crew that openly shouts from the mountain top that our facilities suck.

Says it all.

It does. And I'm right that it does because the article is quoted in the first post. What is quoted up top is tangentially about the Gophers being kicked out of the conference.

If you don't believe me, look up the word tangentially.

There, I'm right. Feel free to apologize.

It does. And I'm right that it does because the article is quoted in the first post. What is quoted up top is tangentially about the Gophers being kicked out of the conference.

If you don't believe me, look up the word tangentially.

There, I'm right. Feel free to apologize.

NO

Then just go away.

Assuming this is true.....(haven't spent much time comparing the outdoor track facilities at various Big Ten schools)....sounds like the University has a problem prioritizing. College basketball and football is where all the money lies and what brings visibility to the university. College hockey is a niche sport that is only relevant at 20 or 30 schools nationally and is not much of a revenue producer for the University, as other posters pointed out.

At a minimum you should be competitive in football and basketball facility wise. Then the rest will take care of itself. Or....if it doesn't, then so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over how our track or rowing teams perform.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain basketball has always made more money than hockey. I don't think hockey even turns a profit every year.
It's not even close. Basketball $11 Million dollar profit in 2011-2012, all sports except Basketball and football made $8.3 Million before expenses of $7.6 Million. Hockey's exact share of that 8 Million is not listed, but in any case it's less than half the basketball revenue $16.2 Million.

It's not even close. Basketball $11 Million dollar profit in 2011-2012, all sports except Basketball and football made $8.3 Million before expenses of $7.6 Million. Hockey's exact share of that 8 Million is not listed, but in any case it's less than half the basketball revenue $16.2 Million.

Yep. Basketball draws more fans, sells more concessions, sells more parking, has less players on scholarship, has cheaper equipment, and is cheaper to play. Basketball coaches make more money, but that's probably the only major area on the balance sheet that hockey has the advantage in.

That's simply not true. Not in terms of revenue. Not in terms of total fan interest or TV ratings, etc. They may fill a higher % of their smaller arena, but that is the only area in which hockey is ahead of basketball.

Frankly, you are wrong about hockey being bigger than basketball. Simple answer: look at venue size for the two sports. Williams arena: 14,625 Mariucci: 9,900 something

Frankly, you are wrong about hockey being bigger than basketball. Simple answer: look at venue size for the two sports. Williams arena: 14,625 Mariucci: 9,900 something

you, my friend, just earned post of the day on this forum.

Duke:
Wallace Wade Stadium Capacity: about 34K
Cameron Indoor Stadium: about 9.3K

Football's gotta be more popular at Duke, right?

And to clarify - because it seems that many of you have your panties all up in a bunch after my comment. I am not saying I like hockey better, I am not saying that the hockey team is better, and lastly, I am not arguing over which brings in more revenue. I was simply making a broad statement. After going to school at the U, I can tell you all firsthand that Students get more excited for hockey games than basketball. Additionally, I can tell you that from any job I've ever worked at or people in the real world I've ever met, the majority overwhelmingly associate Minnesota as being a hockey school over a basketball school. Sorry to any of those I may have offended.

you, my friend, just earned post of the day on this forum.

Duke:
Wallace Wade Stadium Capacity: about 34K
Cameron Indoor Stadium: about 9.3K

Football's gotta be more popular at Duke, right?
The revenue figures
Football at Duke $25,373,767
Basketball at Duke $25,665,732

Hockey has a nice loyal crowd, but Basketball is bigger at every level in the state. The TV ratings for a terrible Wolves team are equal and better than a good Wild team. The gopher basketball team draws more, makes more and the TV ratings aren't even close. High school basketball participants and teams outnumber Hockey 3 to 1.

The revenue figures
Football at Duke $25,373,767
Basketball at Duke $25,665,732

Hockey has a nice loyal crowd, but Basketball is bigger at every level in the state. The TV ratings for a terrible Wolves team are equal and better than a good Wild team. The gopher basketball team draws more, makes more and the TV ratings aren't even close. High school basketball participants and teams outnumber Hockey 3 to 1.

Everything in your post is correct but currently the Wild's tv ratings are better than the Wolves.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...sota-wild-fox-sports-north-nbc-hockey-nielsen

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/05/01...1-12/landing_timberwolves.html?blockID=721170

It's a small sample but for the people who don't want to click on it the Wild's first game last year after a lockout was 7.65 and the Wolves 3.63 average.

And to clarify - because it seems that many of you have your panties all up in a bunch after my comment. I am not saying I like hockey better, I am not saying that the hockey team is better, and lastly, I am not arguing over which brings in more revenue. I was simply making a broad statement. After going to school at the U, I can tell you all firsthand that Students get more excited for hockey games than basketball. Additionally, I can tell you that from any job I've ever worked at or people in the real world I've ever met, the majority overwhelmingly associate Minnesota as being a hockey school over a basketball school. Sorry to any of those I may have offended.

No one has their panties in a bunch, you just threw out a bunch of false, and/or loosely based facts.

Don Lucia has whined about his lack of facilities, and the Basketball team makes more money and draws more fans than Hockey.

Since you're the only one that went to school at the U or works in Minnesota on this board, we'll probably have to take your word for it though. :confused:

Everything in your post is correct but currently the Wild's tv ratings are better than the Wolves.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...sota-wild-fox-sports-north-nbc-hockey-nielsen

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/05/01...1-12/landing_timberwolves.html?blockID=721170

It's a small sample but for the people who don't want to click on it the Wild's first game last year after a lockout was 7.65 and the Wolves 3.63 average.
Obviously the first game back for the Wild is going to better than the average Wolves game, but when you compare average to average the wolves are currently ahead 3.63 to 2.49. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/print-edition/2012/03/02/with-stronger-start-wolves-wild-a.html

The threat of being forced out of the B1G would probably be the best thing that has ever happened for our basketball and football teams. It is going to take something very drastic like this to get the type of support our teams need. Very difficult to make up for decades of neglect.

I believe the powers that be at the U would love nothing more than to be forced out of the B1G plus 4. So they can push their anti sport agenda

Top Bottom