Richard Pitino and Minnesota: What's the appeal?

BarnBoy

Reaction score
So I think most objective observers on this board can safely state (we'll see how this plays out) that oustide of Minnesota, there is more chatter about the program and interest in it than in the last several years.

As a die-hard Gopher fan that has no insight into the inner workings of recruiting, let alone the inner workings of the 16- and 17-year-old mind, I am just curious to get your take.

Here is my take:

First, do you agree there is more chatter and excitement (outside of Minnesota?)
  1. Yes, it's true.
  2. No, we are just paying more attention to media because we have a new coach.
I believe #1, that there is more chatter and excitement. Recruits are excited. We are on more "top 5" lists, etc. Here is my take:
  • Every new coach, regardless of school, experiences a honeymoon period. Recruits can't really compare the sales rhetoric with on-the-court performances, so to some degree, and to some recruits, the entire pitch is believable.
  • We are experiencing a halo-effect from Louisville and Dad Pitino, right or wrong.
  • Recruits like the turn-around job Pitino did at FIU.
  • Recruits like the fast-paced, high attempt style that is promised.
  • All of the above, combined with the fact that we are in the B1G (currently the best BBall conference), are moving the program in the right direction.
What's your take?

Good topic. I think its a case of "All of the Above" as you state very well, in addition to Pitino being young, relatable, and having put together a young and aggressive staff. You are spot on on us benefiting from the halo-effect of his Dad and we have perfect timing with the national title and HOF.

No doubt that there is a honeymoon period with a new coach that he has to capitalize on. It will be nice if we can land a few Top 100 players in this class, but the 2015 class is the one that if we're going to make a big splash, that is more likely just due to the staff having a full year plus to recruit and build the relationships.

What's your take?

Everything you state I think is fair except for the additional Big Ten commentary (great season in 2012-13, but not currently the best - but it's right up there so not a big deal - fact that Minnesota is in the Big Ten is a plus for many).

I think some kids think, "eh, FIU? OK, you won some games there, big deal", but others will be impressed by the season that was relatively very good for that program.

Other random thoughts.. let's see...

+ Age and experience of the assistant coaches. I think for a kid, this is a net positive vs. some other schools. I like the age and (at least perceived) ability to relate. Good mix that includes a former U of M basketball player and a guy that helped run a good travel team / organization in NYC. Can preach that the staff knows basketball from a player standpoint and also cares about kids as young men. "We want to help you become the best you can be in bball & life".

+ Need to pitch a story of settling down in MN. "My family is hoping to call this home for a long time. This is where we want to build our life and where I want to build my program. FIU was a great opp, but it wasn't a destination job, Minnesota is, blah blah blah."

+ Fan support and size of the metro area - "I toured the state and have talked to many fans. They are just dying for a basketball team they can really get behind. They've had rough times... any negatives you may hear about the fan base - throw it out the window. We're new here and as we perform on the court, in the classroom and in the community, these fans are going to embrace us like no other."

+ "Oh you heard bad things about the facilities... don't sweat it. We've already changed things up. Looking great and we'll continue to get better in that area. But, we're already much improved from a facilities standpoint as compared to where we were just 5 months ago. Also, hopefully the AD will back down from this $190MM pie in the sky dream that won't happen and concentrate on something attainable - like a brand new basketball practice facility!"

But.. really, the strong pluses include youth, experience with big time programs, his mentors & network...

In just a few months, Pitino and his staff have put together a list of high profile recruits that have interest in us- the likes of which we have not seen here before. That alone is creating a buzz.

Based on his early hard work and his level of communication- I think there is basis for belief that Pitino is not just the son of coach Pitino the elder- but that he has the ability to build the same type of legacy his father did. He has the "it" factor about him. The program is now being viewed by recruits as cool.

For some recruits- special ones- this opportunity is like creating an original painting versus "painting by numbers". A guy like Tyus (long shot though he is) or Rashad or Reid have the opportunity to be in on starting something new for the long term- an original. Painting by numbers is Duke. :)

What I find interesting is that you never hear a kid say in an interview that Ricco showed tape of FIU. They say, "sw tape of practice" or earlier some said saw tape of "Loiusville offense, Florida defense" and also specifically saw tape of similar players in those systems and how the recruit would be playing at MN.

Pitino seems to be really good at making players feel like he knows them, their style and how they would fit in his system. That is a connection no recruit that I can recall has mentioned before Ricco (maybe a hockey recruit but do they ever get interviewed?)

Some people are just good salesmen, which is basically the message, personality, energy and effort. That's how Clem recruited the class that went to the Final Four: he had Larry Davis as a recruiter, a man who could sell refrigerators to eskimos.

Just listen to Pitino talk in interviews and that will answer a lot of the question. He's passionate and you believe what he says. He's won over the majority of the fanbase already and it's the same with recruits. Pitino and his staff are selling the program and university well, and I think recruits believe it would be fun to play for such a young and energetic staff that preaches a fun style of play.

Honeymoon period

I agree about the honeymoon period. I am sure it compares to when "Hall of Famer Tubby Smith" was hired. There is both reason for excitement and apprehension.

So I think most objective observers on this board can safely state (we'll see how this plays out) that oustide of Minnesota, there is more chatter about the program and interest in it than in the last several years.

As a die-hard Gopher fan that has no insight into the inner workings of recruiting, let alone the inner workings of the 16- and 17-year-old mind, I am just curious to get your take.

Here is my take:

First, do you agree there is more chatter and excitement (outside of Minnesota?)
  1. Yes, it's true.
  2. No, we are just paying more attention to media because we have a new coach.
I believe #1, that there is more chatter and excitement. Recruits are excited. We are on more "top 5" lists, etc. Here is my take:
  • Every new coach, regardless of school, experiences a honeymoon period. Recruits can't really compare the sales rhetoric with on-the-court performances, so to some degree, and to some recruits, the entire pitch is believable.
  • We are experiencing a halo-effect from Louisville and Dad Pitino, right or wrong.
  • Recruits like the turn-around job Pitino did at FIU.
  • Recruits like the fast-paced, high attempt style that is promised.
  • All of the above, combined with the fact that we are in the B1G (currently the best BBall conference), are moving the program in the right direction.
What's your take?

I agree with most of the points above. I would add

1) recruiting is much about relationships, and Pitino hired assistants that have valuable ones ... a number of recruits have mentioned Johnson already had been recruiting them at Nebraska; Young has all of the AAU relationships in NY and the east coast (I know less about McHale); and don't underestimate Pitino's relationships himself, starting with his dad.

2) much like the Louisville halo effect, I think there is a B1G halo effect. You can argue who's going to be the best conference this year (nobody really knows) but in terms of talent and exposure there's little argument the B1G has been the best in the recent past, particularly last year. Also, for east coast recruits the B1G expansion east has to help.

The kids that were being recruited by Tubby and then by Ricco seem to talk about the differences in style between the two staffs (not saying which is better, Tubby had some great recruiting classes), but to me, I think that any long term success will depend on Ricco's ability to develop these players and win with his system.

I love that Ricco has time every day for individual player development & weight lifting and how he was able to build a wall to create a place in the same building with the weight room, training table & academic center to work one on one with coaches. It just shows he is a can do kind of guy and doesn't wait for others to solve his problems. Best of all, he doesn't bitch about what we don't have at MN (Tubby & Mason Issue), he gushes about what we do have. Ricco is selling the sizzle and the steak!

Top Bottom