Pioneer Press: Gophers carve out makeshift basketball practice facility

futuregopher

Reaction score
"One of the pillars of his program is going to be individual development, and this gives him a perfect venue to do that work that they deem so important," Gophers associate athletics director Mike Ellis said. "He hasn't spent a lot of time talking about what we don't have. While he's working hard towards the future, he's not going to sacrifice now."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ve-out-makeshift-basketball-practice-facility

Thanks, but would prefer a link (also cut and paste is copyright infringement).

Happy about the facility, but this statement made me cringe: "The court will be available for other teams, but Pitino has scheduled times in the morning once practice starts next month for individual work."

One thing I'd want as a player is 24 hour access. I'm no scholarship athlete, but where I went to school we had a gym we could access pretty much 24/7 and it was awesome. Some of the pickup games went well past midnight. Not something you can "schedule" ... you just feel like playing, need to work some stress off and take a break from studying.

Thanks, but would prefer a link (also cut and paste is copyright infringement).

Happy about the facility, but this statement made me cringe: "The court will be available for other teams, but Pitino has scheduled times in the morning once practice starts next month for individual work."

One thing I'd want as a player is 24 hour access. I'm no scholarship athlete, but where I went to school we had a gym we could access pretty much 24/7 and it was awesome. Some of the pickup games went well past midnight. Not something you can "schedule" ... you just feel like playing, need to work some stress off and take a break from studying.

Agree completely. That 24/7 gym is great. Whether it is lifting or playing ball or just shooting. I'm not sure why they can't make the court available to players 24/7

Agree completely. That 24/7 gym is great. Whether it is lifting or playing ball or just shooting. I'm not sure why they can't make the court available to players 24/7

Be thankful for small favors. This isn't Indiana or Michigan. When it is repeatedly said we have the worst facilities in the B1G, it's not that the toilets don't flush.

Be thankful for small favors. This isn't Indiana or Michigan. When it is repeatedly said we have the worst facilities in the B1G, it's not that the toilets don't flush.

Just don't quite see how me, an average person, has 24/7 access to a basketball court and gym and a D1 basketball player does not. Seems odd to me and I know how nice that 24/7 access is.

Just don't quite see how me, an average person, has 24/7 access to a basketball court and gym and a D1 basketball player does not. Seems odd to me and I know how nice that 24/7 access is.

The 24/7 access argument is way overrated in this discussion, in my opinion. Gopher basketball players can get up shots just about anytime they want. Among Williams Arena, the Sports Pavilion, the Bierman gym or the rec center, or any local Lifetime Fitness, chances are if a guy wants to get up 1000 shots, he will be able to. Basically, if a guy is committed to improving his shot, he currently has that ability.

These new fancy practice facilities are more things besides shooting. The really good ones have unbelievable strength and conditioning capabilities, a nutrition/diet center, a sports medicine lab, a players' lounge, a game room, a study hall, etc.

Above all else, these new fancy practice facilities are about recruiting.

Frankly, in the grand scheme of things, shooting ranks far down the list as a reason to invest $20 million into a new facility. Guys can shoot basically whenever they want now if they are willing to commit to it. What the Gopher players need is the new training, nutrition, and health resources their Big Ten brothers are getting. What the Gopher coaches need is the ability to use such a facility to help them recruit, or at least get to even footing when compared to their Big Ten brothers.

The 24/7 access argument is way overrated in this discussion, in my opinion. Gopher basketball players can get up shots just about anytime they want. Among Williams Arena, the Sports Pavilion, the Bierman gym or the rec center, or any local Lifetime Fitness, chances are if a guy wants to get up 1000 shots, he will be able to. Basically, if a guy is committed to improving his shot, he currently has that ability.

These new fancy practice facilities are more things besides shooting. The really good ones have unbelievable strength and conditioning capabilities, a nutrition/diet center, a sports medicine lab, a players' lounge, a game room, a study hall, etc.

Above all else, these new fancy practice facilities are about recruiting.

Frankly, in the grand scheme of things, shooting ranks far down the list as a reason to invest $20 million into a new facility. Guys can shoot basically whenever they want now if they are willing to commit to it. What the Gopher players need is the new training, nutrition, and health resources their Big Ten brothers are getting. What the Gopher coaches need is the ability to use such a facility to help them recruit, or at least get to even footing when compared to their Big Ten brothers.

But how late is Williams, Biermen, Pavillion, etc open? That's more my point. A lot of kids have odd class schedules or may want to go shoot if they can't fall asleep at 1 am or start working out at 4 am or maybe shoot after night class at 11. Is there a gym that has the doors unlocked that they can use? I recall a few times Mbakwe and others tweeting how they wished a gym was open later at night. It isn't a ground breaking make or break deal, but it is an inconvenience for sure.

As someone who is typically starting my workout/shooting at 4 am, It'd be pretty irritating if I didn't have a gym available. I pay so that I do though, does it make sense to require a D1 athlete, likely without a car, to pay for a gym membership just so he can workout at a preferred time? Seems all someone would really need to do is give them access cards or keys to use the gyms "after hours"

But how late is Williams, Biermen, Pavillion, etc open? That's more my point. A lot of kids have odd class schedules or may want to go shoot if they can't fall asleep at 1 am or start working out at 4 am or maybe shoot after night class at 11. Is there a gym that has the doors unlocked that they can use? I recall a few times Mbakwe and others tweeting how they wished a gym was open later at night. It isn't a ground breaking make or break deal, but it is an inconvenience for sure.

As someone who is typically starting my workout/shooting at 4 am, It'd be pretty irritating if I didn't have a gym available. I pay so that I do though, does it make sense to require a D1 athlete, likely without a car, to pay for a gym membership just so he can workout at a preferred time? Seems all someone would really need to do is give them access cards or keys to use the gyms "after hours"

I believe that the student managers have keys to Williams/Pav and can let players in when they want to shoot. Again, I believe guys can get off 1000 shots a day if they choose under the current setup. What they can't do is take advantage of some of the strength and conditioning, nutrition, and training resources most other Big Ten institutions have.

Yes, a new practice facility is needed, that's for sure. What I'm saying is that, for now, seems like it would be nice to have one conveniently located place the players could go, 24-7, *knowing* they can get in and shoot on their whim. Not having to call a manager and wait for them to come over and unlock it (presuming they can get ahold of the manager). Not having to wonder which facility might be open and free at that time. Not having to hope the court is open and not being used for volleyball or womens basketball or tae kwon do practice.

Basically, give the mens bb team the bierman court and either give them an access key or pay some students minimum wage to be there 24/7 to keep it open. Maybe that's what we're already doing, but if we're not, we should.

Do you think they have threads like this on Indiana's or Michigan's fan boards?

Do you want your players shooting in the middle of the night if you're a coach? Maybe occasionally it's OK, but not a great habit for a D-I basketball student-athlete.

But.. you personally are up shooting at 4am?! Where at? Let's have an NBA 3-point shooting contest one of these mornings.

Do you want your players shooting in the middle of the night if you're a coach? Maybe occasionally it's OK, but not a great habit for a D-I basketball student-athlete.

College kids playing at 3am on a sat. is asking for trouble. 24h access is a stupid idea...

But.. you personally are up shooting at 4am?! Where at? Let's have an NBA 3-point shooting contest one of these mornings.

I thought I heard Victor Olidipo talk about how he would go and put up shots in the early morning hours, and how that made him a better player. Indiana has a 24 hour access gym, where all you need to do to get in as a player is swipe a key card. I'm not saying practicing at 2am is a great habit to get into as a student athlete, but if they get inspired to do so, why shouldn't they have 24/7 access to a private court?

I thought I heard Victor Olidipo talk about how he would go and put up shots in the early morning hours, and how that made him a better player. Indiana has a 24 hour access gym, where all you need to do to get in as a player is swipe a key card. I'm not saying practicing at 2am is a great habit to get into as a student athlete, but if they get inspired to do so, why shouldn't they have 24/7 access to a private court?

What is early morning hours to a college student? 7 AM?

I feel like practicing their jump shot would be a great way to keep them out of trouble at 3AM on a Saturday.

Agreed. If a kid would rather shoot at 2 am on a Saturday than be out at the bar drinking. That is a guy I want on my team every time. If his friends are all going out and he places basketball above that, that has to be a coaches dream.

Haha yeah. If I am starting at 4 am, it is usually to lift. Typically in St. Louis Park. But when I'm playing basketball it's 5:30 pick up in Fridley. And then off to work. Just like being up early like that and starting the day that way. Some people prefer to go at night, I like early mornings.

But see your point about not wanting them wore out constantly from waking up at 3 am to shoot. They still have their regular practices they need to be awake and ready for.

Agreed. If a kid would rather shoot at 2 am on a Saturday than be out at the bar drinking. That is a guy I want on my team every time. If his friends are all going out and he places basketball above that, that has to be a coaches dream.

These kids go to dorm/house parties.

The best thing they can do past midnight is go to bed. You do realize they could hit the liquid and decide to go play some hoops at 3am right? Probably not a high % chance it happens, but they don't need to be shooting at that time, not on the weekend, not during the week when they need to focus on academics.

I don't think its a huge deal either way, just 24h access is not necessary, especially F/Sat. evening... Sunday and the rest of the week too for that matter, hit the books and rest up for class and practice.

Rashad Vaughn talked a lot about access to the gym when he was looking at prep schools.

Gym rats want access to a gym. I think that's great. You don't like 24 hours, ok, make it 5 am - midnight or something, maybe extended hours outside of bb season when they don't have practice too.

I believe that the student managers have keys to Williams/Pav and can let players in when they want to shoot. Again, I believe guys can get off 1000 shots a day if they choose under the current setup. What they can't do is take advantage of some of the strength and conditioning, nutrition, and training resources most other Big Ten institutions have.

I am sure the blue chip recruits love that sales pitch compared to everything else they see.

I am sure the blue chip recruits love that sales pitch compared to everything else they see.

Yep, the situation isn't ideal and the idea that this Bierman gym can solve all of our problems is somewhat misguided. No doubt it can help, but, the final answer is simple. Get a shovel in the ground and build the flashy new practice facility ASAP.

Top Bottom