Rakeem Buckles Says He's U Bound; Waiting NCAA Clearance

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Big news for the Gophers and we wanted to start a new thread so those who are skimming the board can quickly see this big addition to the program. Let's hope Rakeem gets NCAA clearance and that his health holds up. He provides the "stretch 4" type of big man that Pitino covets in his system.

Wow! Awesome news. The NCAA is the big hurdle to clear though. Fingers crossed.

Any idea on the timeline for the NCAA decision?

Is this more of a formality like the Malik Smith situation, or is it more complicated because Buckles had already transferred? I'm assuming he is cleared with the U in terms of academics if he's on his way, so that'd be the last hurdle.

Is this more of a formality like the Malik Smith situation, or is it more complicated because Buckles had already transferred? I'm assuming he is cleared with the U in terms of academics if he's on his way, so that'd be the last hurdle.

My interpretation is that NCAA eligibility determination is the last hurdle.

He provides the "stretch 4" type of big man that Pitino covets in his system.

We have a couple stretch 4's already. We need Buckles to be an inside presence - rebounding and interior defense.

It'll be interesting to learn more about his game, and his health. There's not a lot of video out there on Buckles, other than the typical HS highlights with mostly dunks (and a 2 on 2 game with Eric Bledsoe), and of course not a large sample size at Louisville due to the injuries.

We have a couple stretch 4's already. We need Buckles to be an inside presence - rebounding and interior defense.

It'll be interesting to learn more about his game, and his health. There's not a lot of video out there on Buckles, other than the typical HS highlights with mostly dunks (and a 2 on 2 game with Eric Bledsoe), and of course not a large sample size at Louisville due to the injuries.

I thought he was a pretty nice rebounder in his few years playing at Louisville, even though he could be considered a little undersized. But hey, if Rodney played PF last year, than Buckles is definitely capable and suited to be our starting 4.

That is good news. it will be a huge releif to hear he gets to play. Gophers really...really....really need someone that can bang a little.

His health will be the key. Reasonable to assume he won't be 100%, so we'll get whatever he has to offer in his last eligibility - very similar to Mbakwe. Sounds like he has good skill, so that and whatever percentage of his prior athleticism - that still sounds like our best PF.

I thought he was a pretty nice rebounder in his few years playing at Louisville, even though he could be considered a little undersized. But hey, if Rodney played PF last year, than Buckles is definitely capable and suited to be our starting 4.

6 rebounds a game in 18 minutes in 2010-2011 is pretty darn good. Whether or not he is still the same player remains to be seen.

Agree, Bad.

Hopefully he's something close to 100%, but I'm not expecting that at all. If he simply ends up being just a serviceable forward, he'll help the Gophers; we're not exactly deep on the front line. His experience can't hurt, either. He's been around the block a little bit.

Buckles is definitely a good rebounder for his size. His carreer average of RB/40 is 12.2. To put that in perspective Mbakwe's was 13.4.

Agree, Bad.

Hopefully he's something close to 100%, but I'm not expecting that at all. If he simply ends up being just a serviceable forward, he'll help the Gophers; we're not exactly deep on the front line. His experience can't hurt, either. He's been around the block a little bit.

He'll be 100% healthy to start the year, pretty sure he could have played last year at some point, but he had to sit out since he was transferring. If you mean 100% to his preinjury ability then yeah that will still be a question mark, but he should be 100% healed from his surgeries.

He'll be 100% healthy to start the year, pretty sure he could have played last year at some point, but he had to sit out since he was transferring. If you mean 100% to his preinjury ability then yeah that will still be a question mark, but he should be 100% healed from his surgeries.

With that so he has some reps under his belt in pitino's system as a practice body last year

His health will be the key. Reasonable to assume he won't be 100%, so we'll get whatever he has to offer in his last eligibility - very similar to Mbakwe. Sounds like he has good skill, so that and whatever percentage of his prior athleticism - that still sounds like our best PF.

Yeah, he definitely has talent. Ranked #36 in Rivals class of 2009, right behind Thomas Robinson (lottery pick from KU), right ahead of Peyton Siva, DJ Richardson, Brandon Paul, Jeronne Maymon (Marquette), Kawhi Leonard (Spurs). Some heady company.

Back in early February Pitino tweeted this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rakeem Buckles making a comeback. Looks good! Excited to coach him again next year. <a href="http://t.co/kqBqL0is">pic.twitter.com/kqBqL0is</a></p>— Richard Pitino (@MNCoachPitino) <a href="https://twitter.com/MNCoachPitino/statuses/299550006443139072">February 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Big news for the Gophers and we wanted to start a new thread so those who are skimming the board can quickly see this big addition to the program. Let's hope Rakeem gets NCAA clearance and that his health holds up. He provides the "stretch 4" type of big man that Pitino covets in his system.

Any status update (like this one) is welcomed by me. Thanks GopherHole Staff! :clap:

This is certainly good news. Is this information based on a direct conversation with Buckles? If so, did he offer any other comments?

Sounds promising and will be huge if he's able to play right away, but I'll be a lot more excited when the NCAA actually clears him.

Per Marcus: Despite speculation Tuesday that forward Rakeem Buckles would be transferring to the Gophers soon, FIU spokesperson Paul Dodson said Buckles is still "a scholarship athlete at FIU." Buckles, a former Louisville transfer, needs a waiver from the NCAA to play this season for Pitino, who coached the Panthers in 2012-13.

Might that mean he wanted to get word from the U that he would be admitted before asking for his release? If he asks for his release, I'm sure he'll get it.

Might that mean he wanted to get word from the U that he would be admitted before asking for his release? If he asks for his release, I'm sure he'll get it.

No. There is a permission to contact which has existed for a long time. Not a "release" issue.

Prospective SA's are routinely on campus at schools without having been declared eligible. Final OK's could be received this week; it could be in November. I'd guess it'll be sooner than later. Regardless of when that comes, the plan would be to start taking classes at the U for the new semester.

The issue there would be if I'm Buckles and I have any substantial fear that I may not be cleared to play at Minnesota, then I might want to stay at FIU and play out my final year.

I think most likely he'll be here and get cleared.

Buckles played limited minutes with Louisville, but when he played his rebounding was sensational. Heading into his sophomore year he had a good summer and expectations were very high for his career. Bummer about the injuries, but having him this year would be very nice for this season, even if he can average 18-20 minutes per game.

No. There is a permission to contact which has existed for a long time. Not a "release" issue.

Prospective SA's are routinely on campus at schools without having been declared eligible. Final OK's could be received this week; it could be in November. I'd guess it'll be sooner than later. Regardless of when that comes, the plan would be to start taking classes at the U for the new semester.

The issue there would be if I'm Buckles and I have any substantial fear that I may not be cleared to play at Minnesota, then I might want to stay at FIU and play out my final year.

I think most likely he'll be here and get cleared.

Buckles played limited minutes with Louisville, but when he played his rebounding was sensational. Heading into his sophomore year he had a good summer and expectations were very high for his career. Bummer about the injuries, but having him this year would be very nice for this season, even if he can average 18-20 minutes per game.

Ah, that's right. Wasn't thinking.

And thanks gopher hole administrators for starting a new thread on this. So much better than tacking it on to the long ALL THINGS thread.

And thanks gopher hole administrators for starting a new thread on this. So much better than tacking it on to the long ALL THINGS thread.

Agreed.

I'm sure it is a tough call at times. Starting a new thread on this was a good call.

Top Bottom