"All Things threads?

MN1nAZ

Reaction score
The "administrators" have locked a couple of "All things" threads today. What can the purpose of limiting our exchange of ideas be? I can think of a lot of perceived reasons. Among them would be that the administrator is a young p#nk trusted to use reasoning and judgement for the first time and he wanted to flex his power without realizing the unintended consequenses of his actions or he doesn't give a sh#t about what other stakeholders may think.

Why don't they lock the "All things Tubby Smith" thread? Who wants to spend time reading about that peice of the past?

Maybe they are just trying to piss you off.

The "administrators" have locked a couple of "All things" threads today. What can the purpose of limiting our exchange of ideas be? I can think of a lot of perceived reasons. Among them would be that the administrator is a young p#nk trusted to use reasoning and judgement for the first time and he wanted to flex his power without realizing the unintended consequenses of his actions or he doesn't give a sh#t about what other stakeholders may think.

Why don't they lock the "All things Tubby Smith" thread? Who wants to spend time reading about that peice of the past?

Way too many actions make no sense. I especially like the PM from a mod that was auto-bleeped....classy.

We locked the Justin Cobbs thread in large part because of Station19's recommendation here:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...hings-Justin-Cobbs-Thread&p=740672#post740672

We agree with him that that thread had been stagnant long enough that new news on Cobbs made sense to start anew. With these All Things Threads we get such wide reaction, as show by Station19's personal reaction to today. He says that "This thread has been dead for 9 months. When it's been dead that long, start a new one." Then when we do, he posts "Way too many actions make no sense."

We understand that many people do not like the All Things Threads and as a result, when significant new news develops, we encourage posters to start a new thread. The All Things Threads serve a purpose but we encourage a balance. We haven't started an All Things Thread ourselves in a long time due to feedback from the board, we haven't merged threads either unless two people were to post the exact same link or comment. We are trying to strike a balance but we get mixed reactions, often times from the same poster.

This is a work in progress and we're doing our best to keep the flow of conversation going.

We locked the Justin Cobbs thread in large part because of Station19's recommendation here:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...hings-Justin-Cobbs-Thread&p=740672#post740672

We agree with him that that thread had been stagnant long enough that new news on Cobbs made sense to start anew. With these All Things Threads we get such wide reaction, as show by Station19's personal reaction to today. He says that "This thread has been dead for 9 months. When it's been dead that long, start a new one." Then when we do, he posts "Way too many actions make no sense."

We understand that many people do not like the All Things Threads and as a result, when significant new news develops, we encourage posters to start a new thread. The All Things Threads serve a purpose but we encourage a balance. We haven't started an All Things Thread ourselves in a long time due to feedback from the board, we haven't merged threads either unless two people were to post the exact same link or comment. We are trying to strike a balance but we get mixed reactions, often times from the same poster.

This is a work in progress and we're doing our best to keep the flow of conversation going.

That comment was directed at the poster. It was his decision to drag up a 9 month old thread that I questioned. That poster later said he thought that's what the moderators wanted.......?????? Now it is locked. Why? Once it is brought back up leave it.

When it's been dead that long, start a new one." Then when we do, he posts "Way too many actions make no sense."

The only way one can make this statement is if the poster and the moderator are the same person.

You mad?

Most useless thread ever?

I'll say all of the "All Things" threads suck. Makes for easily the most inconvenient message board I've ever tried to navigate. I'm sure I miss lots of Gopher news because it is stupid to have to sift through pages of crap. The last thread on the opening page is nine days old. We really have to preserve that?

I mean an "All Things Current Gopher Players" thread? We actually have one of those. Ridiculous.

1. I did NOT recommend locking the Justin Cobbs thread. I questioned the poster for digging up old thread to make a post instead of just starting a new thread.

2. GH admin/staff locks the thread(and thereby any feedback to latest post) and I ask why.

That is not a mixed reaction from 'the same poster'.

Station19, we are sorry for misunderstanding your point of view.

We appreciate the feedback and we encourage new threads when significant new news develops. We are not starting these new All Thinds threads and are trying to manage the most efficient flow of conversation which we agree includes new threads with descriptive headlines.

1. I did NOT recommend locking the Justin Cobbs thread. I questioned the poster for digging up old thread to make a post instead of just starting a new thread.

2. GH admin/staff locks the thread(and thereby any feedback to latest post) and I ask why.

That is not a mixed reaction from 'the same poster'.

Man... get over it & move on.

I guess I'm in the minority. I like the all things threads, you can get all information about each player or topic in one spot. It really isn't that big of a deal to click through the pages. And when things get off topic, the mods do a good job of keeping things on track. If we start creating new threads for every little bit of news on a topic, that will end up creating multiple conversations that we have to keep track of.

Could we please move this thread to the off topic board? Kidding, just kidding.

I guess I'm in the minority. I like the all things threads, you can get all information about each player or topic in one spot. It really isn't that big of a deal to click through the pages. And when things get off topic, the mods do a good job of keeping things on track. If we start creating new threads for every little bit of news on a topic, that will end up creating multiple conversations that we have to keep track of.

I agree 100%. My app takes me straight to the first unread post in a thread so I don't have to sift through pages & pages. The little blue arrow button next to each thread does the same thing on the website.

It's a matter of my comments being misrepresented and subtle comments made about me.

If you don't like it don't read it.

Your reaction to this whole situation has painted a much less flattering picture of you in my mind than any potentially misrepresented comments would have.

Folk, there are things worth getting worked up about, and then there are things that involve Internet forums. I think all the energy in this thread would be much better served elsewhere.

I agree 100%. My app takes me straight to the first unread post in a thread so I don't have to sift through pages & pages. The little blue arrow button next to each thread does the same thing on the website.

I agree 100% too. I've never understood all the angst regarding the All Things threads.

Your reaction to this whole situation has painted a much less flattering picture of you in my mind than any potentially misrepresented comments would have.

Folk, there are things worth getting worked up about, and then there are things that involve Internet forums. I think all the energy in this thread would be much better served elsewhere.

Curious as to how this would have swayed you any way with him... This confirmed my opinions, didn't sway me any way.

A little off topic and maybe the wrong place to post this - but I don't want to start a new thread - Maybe someone smarter than me could start an "All Things Calendar Thread" listing each of the 2014 recruits and the timing of their decision making process. I get confused (easily). Someone is deciding on the 24th - someone else on the 25th (maybe???) others have noted dates for their final lists, etc.

For simple folk like me it would be nice to have it all in one place.

Agree 100%!

speaking of GH formatting and stuff like that since the football forum in the forum lobby is titled "7 national titles football forum" we could rename the basketball forum to "3 national titles basketball forum" to commemorate are 3 pre tournament helms won in 1902, 1903 and 1919, they are just as authentic as our seven football titles that we claim to have yet no gopher fans ever talk about the bball titles

This post will live in Gopherhole infamy

Locking a thread is not an Orwellian act by the administrators. This is a free forum run by volunteer mods that are doing the best they can.

I appreciate your efforts to strike a balance.

Top Bottom