Macura likes idea of being first to commit to Pitino for 2014

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Lots of rumors flying around tonight at the big Wednesday Life Time Fitness pick-up game. A few former Gophers were a shell of their former selves, but still getting after it. Anyway, lots of rumors which are fun to listen to, but a common theme was that Macura would like to be the first to commit to Pitino in 2014, and could pull the trigger after the Creighton visit. He feels some loyalty to Creighton as he has a good relationship with the staff there so he wanted to visit, but a few different guys who are plugged in think he'll be Gopher bound by the end of this month.

He'd be a great start to the class. Throughout his recruitment, I think back to the picture that Chris Monter put up in his GH interviews of Macura standing next to his Grandpa who was decked out in Gopher gear. I always felt like if we offered he'd accept. Looking forward to seeing him in maroon and gold.

FWIW Ryan James is hearing from all sorts of different sources that Macura is likely to commit to Minnesota as well. He says Macura still like Creighton a lot and if they can make a great impression on the visit then who knows what can happen, but Minnesota is likely.

I would absolutely love this class to start with a JP commitment.

I hope it happens. I hate the idea of losing anyone to Creighton, but they do have great support and are now in a 'real' conference.

Would we still be able to get Vaughn? Aren't they both SG?? I guess that would be a pretty good problem to have..

Would we still be able to get Vaughn? Aren't they both SG?? I guess that would be a pretty good problem to have..

We could take them both. Pretty sure they would compliment each other. I'm guessing Macura may not ever start, but definitely not early on. Vaughn I would hope for 2 years at the U.

Were two of those players DJ and/or Nolen? I feel like I remember seeing that they think very highly of Macura--I'm guessing they've been pushing the idea of staying here as well.

Lots of rumors flying around tonight at the big Wednesday Life Time Fitness pick-up game. A few former Gophers were a shell of their former selves, but still getting after it. Anyway, lots of rumors which are fun to listen to, but a common theme was that Macura would like to be the first to commit to Pitino in 2014, and could pull the trigger after the Creighton visit. He feels some loyalty to Creighton as he has a good relationship with the staff there so he wanted to visit, but a few different guys who are plugged in think he'll be Gopher bound by the end of this month.

I hope this is true. I would really like to see Macura in the maroon and gold.

We would like this too, JP!

When is his visit to Creighton? I would imagine his decision will come a few days after he gets back home.

We would like this too, JP!

When is his visit to Creighton? I would imagine his decision will come a few days after he gets back home.

I'm pretty sure it's this weekend. And if he wants to be the first, he has to commit before the 24th since that will be when Perkins commits :cool:

We could take them both. Pretty sure they would compliment each other. I'm guessing Macura may not ever start, but definitely not early on. Vaughn I would hope for 2 years at the U.

What makes you think JP won't ever start? He might not as a freshman but I could easily see him as a 3 year starter. Not trying to argue just genuinely curious.

I have howie on ignore so I didn't see his post until it was quoted. LOL at "JP never starting." He'll immediately be one of the highest ranked players on our roster once he arrives on campus. He'll also likely be a 4 year player which means there is a very good chance he'll start by his junior or senior year if not earlier because like I said, he'll be one of the highest ranked players on the team immediately.

I have howie on ignore so I didn't see his post until it was quoted. LOL at "JP never starting." He'll immediately be one of the highest ranked players on our roster once he arrives on campus. He'll also likely be a 4 year player which means there is a very good chance he'll start by his junior or senior year if not earlier because like I said, he'll be one of the highest ranked players on the team immediately.

I'd see him starting no later than his sophomore season. Even if we got Vaughn, as he is likely a 1 and done. Unless we recruit better players that season we wont have any real competition for the wings as only Elleneson would remain then.

Edit: I guess McNeil might play off guard then too.

I'd see him starting no later than his sophomore season. Even if we got Vaughn, as he is likely a 1 and done. Unless we recruit better players that season we wont have any real competition for the wings as only Elleneson would remain then.

Edit: I guess McNeil might play off guard then too.

Agreed. He is likely going to be our most lethal scorer after Dre moves on.

If Macura commits to the MN Gophers, HC Pitino should send a thank you note to Brad Stevens for taking the Celtics job.

But this won't leave room for both Vaughn and Whitehead

We aren't getting Whitehead. He's probably going to end up at Syracuse. We never would have gotten them both anyway. Do you think Rashad would want to come here if Whitehead committed? He would have had to share touches with Dre and Whitehead.

Was going to ask the same question lol

I've seen Blake and Cameron Rundles up at St. Louis Park and although not a former Gopher, one of the guys from HP (name escapes me) up at Fridley.

Curious which one all the former players seem to be playing ball at haha

Was going to ask the same question lol

I've seen Blake and Cameron Rundles up at St. Louis Park and although not a former Gopher, one of the guys from HP (name escapes me) up at Fridley.

Curious which one all the former players seem to be playing ball at haha

Damian Johnson and Lawrence McKenzie at Crosstown Lifetime Fitness in Eden Prairie. Also, not completely sure, but Dan Coleman might still be playing at 43 Hoops in Hopkins.

We aren't getting Whitehead. He's probably going to end up at Syracuse. We never would have gotten them both anyway. Do you think Rashad would want to come here if Whitehead committed? He would have had to share touches with Dre and Whitehead.

Joke...

What do you mean? I feel like DeathClutch is 100% accurate on that... The only place Rashad would commit where he'd have to share the touches that much is a perennial powerhouse that sends guys to the NBA year after year like Kentucky... He's not coming to Minnesota to share the basketball.

Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) tweeted at 11:39 AM on Thu, Aug 15, 2013:JP Macura of Lakeville North/D1 Minnesota has scheduled an official visit to Xavier the weekend of September 6th.

What do you mean? I feel like DeathClutch is 100% accurate on that... The only place Rashad would commit where he'd have to share the touches that much is a perennial powerhouse that sends guys to the NBA year after year like Kentucky... He's not coming to Minnesota to share the basketball.

Joke...

As in, I was joking.

Joke...

As in, I was joking.

you quoted Deathclutch's comment and then said "Joke..." as in you thought his post was a joke...

If that's not it then I still am unsure of what you mean by "As in, I was joking."

you quoted Deathclutch's comment and then said "Joke..." as in you thought his post was a joke...

If that's not it then I still am unsure of what you mean by "As in, I was joking."

He was joking about his comment that DeathClutch responded to.

Top Bottom