Pitino's Weakness

schlegs

Reaction score
First off i believe this will go down as the best hire in recent gophers basketball history(last 20 years), but that being said nobody can possibly be as perferct as richard right seems right now (especially to us gopher fans).... so i was just curious on what everyones thoughts were on what his weaknesses are going to be and pretty much just what hes going to struggle at

images.jpeg

Attachments

• 040313_rich-pitino_600.jpg
    040313_rich-pitino_600.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 23

I have no doubt that he has the energy, intellect and intangibles to leave an impact on this program. But I suspect he'll struggle with the growing pains every 2nd-year coach does. At the end of the day, experience is king. Yes, he has the bloodlines and time under great coaches, but some of this stuff has to be figured out by just putting in ones time.

How will that manifest itself? I have no idea. Maybe a loss or two because of poor in-game management. Maybe a loss of two of a recruit because of poor recruit management? All normal I suspect. The solution is simply time and experience. We might not even notice it. It will just happen.

Who knows if it is a weakness or not but I have the feeling that he will never escape Big Rick's shadow.

I have little insight into his character, but who can resist ice cream?

Weakness at this point would be experience. (Compared to other B1G coaches)

And hopefully he has better personal judgment than his father, when it comes to activities that could produce scandal.

The lack of experience is the obvious, but because of that lack of experience, we really don't know what this dude's weaknesses really are. That's the scary part of hiring someone with so little on the resume. The hope is, whatever they are, either he masks them well early on, or he's a really quick learner and can adjust on the fly well. But I couldn't tell you what his weaknesses as a coach actually are, cause not many have been revealed. I'm pretty sure it won't take long to find out in this conference, though.

My biggest concern at this time is how the system will translate in the Big Ten. Against the lower tier teams his uptempo game will be fine but what happens against the top teams? When teams force us to slow down how effective will the Gophers be in the half court. Tubby's teams looked pretty good when they got out and ran and forced turnovers but once teams slowed us down we were lost. Will Pitino's system in the halfcourt be effective?

I have no doubt his half court offense will be better than Tubby's because frankly it couldnt get worse but how effective will it be?

My biggest concern is Izzo/Ryan/Crean/Matta/Painter/others.....

This conference is stacked with elite college basketball coaches. How will Pitino handle this big of a stage, against elite competition? We have no idea. Being an assistant on Louisville/Florida or coach of a smaller program is a much smaller stage.

One of my concerns is if/when he runs into an academic or disciplinary issue. Maturi is gone, so he won't need to suspend a player if he sneezes in a meeting, but I do hope Dick Pit holds his players accountable. I anticipate he will. He has been a Grand Slam Homerun, so far.

To me, there is a long list of concerns.
- 31 years old and working for his 7th school
- Has never stayed anywhere long enough to see a class through from being a freshman to a senior. Therefore, have to question whether he has the knowledge of how to develop players from first year to 4th or fifth. Certainly has not done it before.
- One year of head coaching experience and the team did not appear in any of the post season tournaments
- Will struggle coaching against the guys in the Big Ten just because the others have been in more situations and they are just better and more experienced at managing a game
- Will struggle recruiting because he has no track record as a head coach. His resume just does not compare. Has put no one in the NBA as a head coach. Can't claim any big tournament wins or runs. If Tom Izzo is coming into a home, he has a lot more to sell. So does Bo Ryan, Fran McCaffery, John Belien, Thad Matta, Matt Painter, Tom Crean, ....... Go to Northwestern's basketball page and read Chris Collins' bio. No head coaching experience but it is very impressive. Plus, he is also the son of a prominent basketball figure.
- Hired a young and inexperienced staff. I think this is a big mistake. Should have hired someone who has been through it before as a head coach to help him. He will need it.
- Needs to get off to a good start to prove himself at this level but wants to implement a system that does not fit the current roster.
- Does not have college or high school playing experience to draw back on or help him relate to what the players are going through.

I know as I am typing that I am going to shot down by every poster on this board. I just think it is going to be difficult. If his last name was Birkengobreski he would not have been hired. Brining in a bunch of players off his roster at FIU will do little help. This is a huge step up and you need high caliber players. Not third team Atlantic Sun players. Hope I am wrong.

- Has never stayed anywhere long enough to see a class through from being a freshman to a senior. Therefore, have to question whether he has the knowledge of how to develop players from first year to 4th or fifth. Certainly has not done it before.
- One year of head coaching experience and the team did not appear in any of the post season tournaments
- Will struggle coaching against the guys in the Big Ten just because the others have been in more situations and they are just better and more experienced at managing a game
- Will struggle recruiting because he has no track record as a head coach. His resume just does not compare. Has put no one in the NBA as a head coach. Can't claim any big tournament wins or runs. If Tom Izzo is coming into a home, he has a lot more to sell. So does Bo Ryan, Fran McCaffery, John Belien, Thad Matta, Matt Painter, Tom Crean, ....... Go to Northwestern's basketball page and read Chris Collins' bio. No head coaching experience but it is very impressive. Plus, he is also the son of a prominent basketball figure.
- Hired a young and inexperienced staff. I think this is a big mistake. Should have hired someone who has been through it before as a head coach to help him. He will need it.
- Needs to get off to a good start to prove himself at this level but wants to implement a system that does not fit the current roster.
- Does not have college or high school playing experience to draw back on or help him relate to what the players are going through.

I know as I am typing that I am going to shot down by every poster on this board. I just think it is going to be difficult. If his last name was Birkengobreski he would not have been hired. Brining in a bunch of players off his roster at FIU will do little help. This is a huge step up and you need high caliber players. Not third team Atlantic Sun players. Hope I am wrong.

can't make it up. this dude praises the northwestern hire of collins in part because "Plus, he is also the son of a prominent basketball figure." you do realize that our coach's father was just elected to the basketball hof and just won a national title. is that prominent enough?

My fear is that he won't get (at least initially) the respect from the refs. To name two (izzo and grinch) seem to get a lot of calls because they whine the most. Hopefully Coach has learned from his mentors on how to get along with the Valentines of the world.

can't make it up. this dude praises the northwestern hire of collins in part because "Plus, he is also the son of a prominent basketball figure." you do realize that our coach's father was just elected to the basketball hof and just won a national title. is that prominent enough?

That's hilarious. I literally stopped reading after I read the Collins statement and scrolled down. Glad you noticed that too.

3399 says: "I know as I am typing that I am going to shot down by every poster on this board"

No you are not, because your comment #10 is so full of bull*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# that no one in their right mind would try argue with you.
. :banghead:

I think it is ok to have some concerns about the new coach at this point in time. We need to keep in mind that to date, Pitino has signed a total of zero recruits for 2014 and won a total of zero games for the University of Minnesota. The overwhelming feeling on this board has been this is a home run hire. I, likewise, have been a big fan of what he has done so far. But, truthfully, we can only project at this point because he really has no record to speak of so far. Only time will tell.

However, the comment that I disagree with the most of the previous poster is the suggestion that this hire was only due to his last name. I'm going to give Norwood and Pitino a little more credit than that. His last name will have little bearing on how successful or unsuccessful he will be as the Gopher coach.

I'm worried about when we have a lead at the end of games, if we will be able to run the clock and finish the game

Stupid thread.

Note: just filling in for Parski.

If Tubby was still here, this thread would not exist.

If Tubby were here, interest in the program would be at a Monson-like low. Queues to post on this message board would be very short.

His only weakness to date is that corn-ball wedding video. Otherwise, we're all good so far.

I don't think all of those concerns are unfounded. In regards to the post-season tournament concern, though, I would say that his FIU team did well in their conference tournament, getting a big upset and then almost scoring a second big upset and winning the thing. Based on that, I'd have to say he showed something about his ability to head coach in a tournament situation.

Sans the Chris Collins' part, can't really argue with anything, but I am optimistic. This Fall and Winter are going to be a hell of a ride. Buckle up.

I don't think all of those concerns are unfounded. In regards to the post-season tournament concern, though, I would say that his FIU team did well in their conference tournament, getting a big upset and then almost scoring a second big upset and winning the thing. Based on that, I'd have to say he showed something about his ability to head coach in a tournament situation.

Not to mention there was a mass exodus of players after Isaiah Thomas left. He had to fill 8 spots in a very short time. He finished with the best conference record in school history and narrowly missed the big dance. I consider that a pretty big success.

Doesn't know how to set and control expectations - especially on GH

His only weakness to date is that corn-ball wedding video. Otherwise, we're all good so far.

SS, is it possible that Coach is a human being and can maybe, just maybe have fun at a wedding like the rest of us do?

My fear is no matter IF Izzo, Wooden or Coach K were coaching the Gophers this season, it's
going to be very uphill with our cast of front court players. King and Buckles would help but
neither is cleared to play.

So, if we do struggle and finish last in the Big Ten is he able to close the deal with recruits? We need a really good non conference season to have some momentum and cushion overall.

I am confident he will be really good. The question to me is if he is able to get airborne.

SS, is it possible that Coach is a human being and can maybe, just maybe have fun at a wedding like the rest of us do?

I hope nobody gets a hold of my wedding video. I'd be hard pressed to explain the shoe drinking.

I love how there's a thread discussing weaknesses for someone who hasn't coached a game for the Gophers.

Top Bottom