Illinois still waiting on Ahmad Starks eligibility

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
This from espn.com's daily 3-Point Shot tidbits. The Gophers were pursuing Starks at one point this summer.

"Illinois is still waiting to find out if Oregon State transfer Ahmad Starks can get an immediate waiver to play immediately this season rather than sitting out. Starks returned home with the intent on being closer to an ill relative in Chicago. But the University of Illinois is 135 miles from Chicago (depending on what part of Chicago). The waiver is meant to be granted to a within 100 miles of his home. Illinois coach John Groce took Starks knowing he may have to sit to play one. Illinois has Tracy Abrams, Joseph Bertrand, Drake transfer Rayvonte Rice and recruited Kendrick Nunn, Malcolm Hill and Jaylon Tate. So, it's not like the Illini don't have anyone to play the position. But Starks would bring immediate experience and depth. It could also mean someone redshirts. Having Starks to balance out classes wouldn't be the worst thing, either."

We're less than a year from the time the NCAA decided on the new 100-mile requirement guideline... wouldn't think Starks would be able to play based on the ill family member argument, but you never know.

Speaking of eligibility, Minnesota obviously has some question marks on eligibility looming with King, Mathieu, Buckles?, etc... thinking McNeil has been cleared but not sure that's been confirmed.

Point being... many schools have eligibility question marks out there.. normal at this point in the year, but you hope none of them drag into the fall.

We're less than a year from the time the NCAA decided on the new 100-mile requirement guideline... wouldn't think Starks would be able to play based on the ill family member argument, but you never know.

Speaking of eligibility, Minnesota obviously has some question marks on eligibility looming with King, Mathieu, Buckles?, etc... thinking McNeil has been cleared but not sure that's been confirmed.

Point being... many schools have eligibility question marks out there.. normal at this point in the year, but you hope none of them drag into the fall.

Why wouldn't Mathieu be able to play? Isn't he coming from a JUCO? Didnt realize there were many restrictions on that.

That "ill relative" waiver seems awfully open to abuse if you ask me. How many people DON'T have an ailing grandparent, or great aunt or uncle, or third cousin, or something or other? And where do you draw the line, i.e. how sick do they have to be? Who proves that? I can see why it ends up that the NCAA pretty much just has to grant those things...who are they to question how close a kid is to the relative and how sick the relative is.

As for Mathieu, wasn't he still in JC completing some classes (or, perhaps, getting his grades up before transferring?) Haven't heard anything about him all summer, and I hope we don't get some surprising news.

That "ill relative" waiver seems awfully open to abuse if you ask me. How many people DON'T have an ailing grandparent, or great aunt or uncle, or third cousin, or something or other? And where do you draw the line, i.e. how sick do they have to be? Who proves that? I can see why it ends up that the NCAA pretty much just has to grant those things...who are they to question how close a kid is to the relative and how sick the relative is.

As for Mathieu, wasn't he still in JC completing some classes (or, perhaps, getting his grades up before transferring?) Haven't heard anything about him all summer, and I hope we don't get some surprising news.

The new guidelines answer some of your questions, but still leave things open for some fuzzy lines... but, we're talking about "immediately family members" meaning the student-athlete's mother, father, sibling, child or legal guardian.. and the old guidelines talked about "life-threatening" illnesses, but that has been changed to an illness that is "debilitating and requires ongoing medical care."

----
As for Mathieu, he's back in Tennessee and that's not a big concern based on when his Central AZ classes ended and Minnesota's summer schedule - he was going to be out of luck with regard to summer access with the coaches and Pulley, etc... because of timing.

But, you don't know until you know. What we have heard is that he had some academics to address in the summer.. shouldn't* be an issue, but again - don't know and have seen situations take time to resolve and/or not be resolved in favor of the student-athlete & new institution... he may be all clear to head into town later this month and start classes, all cleared to start practicing late next month. But, don't know.

Top Bottom