New Q&A: Tyus Jones on Gophers: I have been talking to their coaches a lot.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Tyus Jones on Gophers: I have been talking to their coaches a lot.
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/274800?referrer_id=331171

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound senior point guard from Apple Valley (MN) High helped the Howard Pulley AAU program to the title in the Super Showcase in Orlando this past weekend, Jones, who is ranked as the number three prospect in the Class of 2014 according to ESPN, is a key recruit for his final list of seven programs, which includes Minnesota.

GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Thursday to learn the latest on his AAU season and his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: What was the feeling like winning the Super Showcase down in Orlando?

Tyus Jones: It was a great feeling. To go out in your last tournament and be able to win it was great, especially after the Peach Jam. We didn’t do as well as we would have liked. We wanted to redeem ourselves and personally with it being my last AAU tournament, it felt great to win it.

Gopher Hole: E1T1 was a team that had beat you by 20 points in the Peach Jam and was originally selected to play you on ESPN2 before you were given a different opening opponent. That had to make it even sweeter to beat a team that had won 21 straight games and had won the Peach Jam.

Tyus Jones: Definitely. They won the Peach Jam, so that in itself tells you how good that team is, so for us to play well and beat them, it was good.

Gopher Hole: You had a lot of the coaches from the seven schools that are still recruiting down at the Super Showcase. What was the reaction of seeing all those faces down there?

Tyus Jones: It is the same that it has been throughout the recruiting process. The coaches were there watching games, but I was more focused on winning the tournament and just playing and enjoying my last AAU tournament.

Gopher Hole: Now that you are done with AAU, have you thought about taking some visits?

Tyus Jones: I still haven’t gotten any further other than Baylor. That is the only one.

Gopher Hole: When is that one going to be?

Tyus Jones: That is the end of August. The last week of August

Gopher Hole: Is that going to be an official visit?

Tyus Jones: It is.

Gopher Hole: For their opening football game (they face Wofford on August 31st)?

Tyus Jones: Yes.

Gopher Hole: What other schools do you think that you definitely want to visit?

Tyus Jones: Don’t know yet. Don’t know yet. It will be hard to cut out a couple of schools, but I’ll have to do it.

Gopher Hole: Are you planning on taking all five official visits?

Tyus Jones: Planning on it.

Gopher Hole: What about Minnesota? Where do they fit in the mix right now?

Tyus Jones: I have still been talking to their coaches. Talking to them about taking an official. Don’t know how the officials work with it being local and stuff like that, but I have been talking to their coaches a lot.

Gopher Hole: Any thought on how you are going to announce your school?

Tyus Jones: Haven’t decided yet. There is a lot of different options. We haven’t decided. We’ll think about it when it gets closer to that time.

Gopher Hole: What are the possibilities? Have you even thought about that?

Tyus Jones: Not a lot, Just been focusing on getting to the decision.

Gopher Hole: What about your high school team? I know that you played in St. Michael-Albertville in the Breakdown Summer Series and won that tournament Wednesday and you are playing in St. Ben’s this weekend. I know that you haven’t had a chance to play with a lot your high school team, but what is the feeling getting back together with those guys?

Tyus Jones: It was a good feeling. Getting back together with them. I am excited for this upcoming season. We played well yesterday, so I am looking forward to this weekend and hopefully, continuing to play some good basketball.

I've been talking to the cutie down the street from me but this super hot chick who graduated with a PHD is interested too. Which one do you think i'm going to ask out?

Why do I get the feeling that Duke will be his last official visit sometime in November.

I know he's a strong Duke lean but hopefully he takes an official to the U. Can't hurt having one of the top players in the country on campus. Maybe he likes the idea of playing alongside Dre for a year or just feels staying home would be the best for his family. He could watch his little bro play at AV on off night. (and I've woken up from my dream) Seems like a great kid though!

"Gopher Hole: What other schools do you think that you definitely want to visit?
Tyus Jones: Don’t know yet. Don’t know yet. It will be hard to cut out a couple of schools, but I’ll have to do it."

He won't have to. Schools will eliminate themselves as they take verbals from other PGs (knowing that Tyus is likely to go to Duke).

Maybe Tyus could still end up here - I still think Pitino's system would be a perfect showcase for him, and Duke's a better fit for Okafor than it is for Tyus. But if he's not going to come here, he can avoid looking like the villain (somewhat) by waiting until Minnesota gets its PG before he makes his own commitment, and it sounds like that may be the way it'll play out.

still can't ask how Gophers are still in the running if he plans to play with Okafor?

"Gopher Hole: What other schools do you think that you definitely want to visit?
Tyus Jones: Don’t know yet. Don’t know yet. It will be hard to cut out a couple of schools, but I’ll have to do it."

He won't have to. Schools will eliminate themselves as they take verbals from other PGs (knowing that Tyus is likely to go to Duke).

Maybe Tyus could still end up here - I still think Pitino's system would be a perfect showcase for him, and Duke's a better fit for Okafor than it is for Tyus. But if he's not going to come here, he can avoid looking like the villain (somewhat) by waiting until Minnesota gets its PG before he makes his own commitment, and it sounds like that may be the way it'll play out.

The thing about Duke though is their PG is going to be a junior this year so he will be a senior in 2014, he will be a three year starter by then, not sure what alphabet is telling Tyus but I would guess it will be a battle for starting PG unless they both plan on starting.

still can't ask how Gophers are still in the running if he plans to play with Okafor?

Ding ding ding. Reporters are two-faced. Timid, respectful, and butt kissing around recruits, but candid, informative, and critical when not around recruits. I just wish local reporters wouldn't be so scared to ask the question and get it over with. A lot of respect would be gained for them for having the courage to ask.

Ding ding ding. Reporters are two-faced. Timid, respectful, and butt kissing around recruits, but candid, informative, and critical when not around recruits. I just wish local reporters wouldn't be so scared to ask the question and get it over with. A lot of respect would be gained for them for having the courage to ask.

exactly, It is a legit question, and every week or so we see another GH/Jones interview where he states the same thing over and over

Seriously can't wait for him to make his Duke announcement. Wish he'd do it now instead of waiting until November.

Plans can change and nothing is 100% except death and taxes. Most people thought Rickert was a lock for AZ. And Humphries a lock for Duke ... the coaches did not cave in and quit because they were a long shot instead they kept recruiting them and got lucky. Rich has offered around ten 2014 guards each one is aware of the fact that their offer is at risk to rescinded if their spot on the recruiting matrix gets filled, yet no one has committed . This suggests that all these kids are still undecided about the U to the extent that they are willing to risk a lost opportunity to play here . As long as we are recruiting a ton of point guards it does not matter any more when Tyus announces vs any other PG on our list

Do you think they are talking about the weather or playing for the U

Top Bottom