Gophers Picked Last In Big Ten By CBS' Jon Rothstein

tjgopher

Reaction score
I have always thought Rothstein knows his stuff and have respected his work over the years. I hope he's wrong with his Big Ten projections. Some other interesting nuggets in the linked article. His Big Ten Power Rankings are copied below:

BIG TEN PRESEASON POWER RANKINGS
1. MICHIGAN STATE

THE SKINNY: Adreian Payne’s return makes Sparty a Final Four contender.

2. OHIO STATE

THE SKINNY: Take the pictures and put them away. We won’t see another Aaron Craft for an awful long time.

3. MICHIGAN

THE SKINNY: Freshman point guard Derrick Walton will pick up where Trey Burke left off.

4. IOWA

THE SKINNY: The Hawkeyes will make the NCAA Tournament, and have the potential to do damage once they get there.

5. WISCONSIN

THE SKINNY: Death, taxes, and Bo Ryan.

6. INDIANA

THE SKINNY: Will Sheehey should emerge as one of the better players in the Big Ten.

7. PURDUE

THE SKINNY: The Boilermakers will return to the NCAA Tournament.

8. ILLINOIS

THE SKINNY: Drake transfer Rayvonte Rice could be the Illini’s top scorer.

9. PENN STATE

THE SKINNY: The Nittany Lions have a back court that can match up with anyone, but who will get a rebound?

10. NORTHWESTERN

THE SKINNY: Newly minted coach Chris Collins will benefit from the returns of both Drew Crawford and JerShon Cobb.

11. NEBRASKA

THE SKINNY: Tim Miles’ team is noticeably better on paper, but so is the rest of the league.

12. MINNESOTA

THE SKINNY: Richard Pitino’s system should enhance the abilities of both Andre and Austin Hollins.

I think is underestimating our team quite a bit. While we could finish last, I would say it is more likely we land somewhere around 7-9 range. I think we are a better team than Northwestern, Nebraska, Penn State and I could see us beating teams like Purdue and Illinois as well.

What I don't understand is how Northwestern--who is also going through a coaching change--is two spots above us. I'd take the Hollinses over Crawford and Cobb, and I'd take Pitino over Collins.

I'd definitely put them below Nebraska, at the very least.

Would beg to differ with Gophers finishing 12th, but I suppose it's possible.

I see this Gopher team's ceiling as 6th (with or without Buckles), with a bottom basement of 10th. Realistically can't envision us finishing ahead of Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Wisconsin, nor can I imagine finishing behind Nebraska and Penn State. We'll be in the Illinois/Indiana/Northwestern/Purdue mix.

I actually think we'll be better than last year. Dre, Austin and Malik shoudl be able to put up a bunch of points. Rodney couldn't really do a lot other than dunk. We may miss Trevor a little bit, but I think EE puts up comparable stats given more minutes. Have some depth at guard spot and Buggs should contribute as well. To be picked dead last is quite ridiculous in my opinion.

I think if we get Buckles here we have a chance at being just as good as last year. Our guards will be one year more improved, we have another scorer in Malik Smith, and if Buckles and EE/Mo can handle inside, we should do fine. We are definitely better than a few of those teams ahead of us.

Love it. Pitino will look like a coaching prodigy when he gets us into the middle of the conference standings, which will only add to his recruiting ability. Keep the last place predictions coming!

I actually think we'll be better than last year. Dre, Austin and Malik shoudl be able to put up a bunch of points. Rodney couldn't really do a lot other than dunk. We may miss Trevor a little bit, but I think EE puts up comparable stats given more minutes. Have some depth at guard spot and Buggs should contribute as well. To be picked dead last is quite ridiculous in my opinion.

I agree 100%, but I will still welcome the dead last predictions for the reasons I just posted above.

Love it. Pitino will look like a coaching prodigy when he gets us into the middle of the conference standings, which will only add to his recruiting ability. Keep the last place predictions coming!

+1

Oh, and don't forget about Norwood, he'll continue to look like one of (if not) the best judges of coaching talent in the country.

Haha right...so Penn State has a backcourt that can matchup with anyone but Andre and Austin Hollins can't...nice effort guy.

I don't think see the Gophers finishing last unless we see one of the Hollins go down with an injury for an extended amount of time and even then I'm not sure the Gophers would find the bottom. Right now(way to early but why not) I see the B1G as something like this with 4-8 all being pretty close and bunched up. I think there is a good chance the B1G will get as many as 8 teams in again with an outside chance at getting a 9th team in.
1.Michigan State
2.Ohio State
3.Michigan
4.Iowa
5.Indiana
6.Gophers
7.Wisconsin
8.Purdue
9.Illinois
10.Northwestern
11.Penn State
12.Nebraska

I don't think see the Gophers finishing last unless we see one of the Hollins go down with an injury for an extended amount of time and even then I'm not sure the Gophers would find the bottom. Right now(way to early but why not) I see the B1G as something like this with 4-8 all being pretty close and bunched up. I think there is a good chance the B1G will get as many as 8 teams in again with an outside chance at getting a 9th team in.
1.Michigan State
2.Ohio State
3.Michigan
4.Iowa
5.Indiana
6.Gophers
7.Wisconsin
8.Purdue
9.Illinois
10.Northwestern
11.Penn State
12.Nebraska

No way we beat out Bo Ryan this year when he's never even finished worse than 4th in the B1G

I agree with this assessment as well. I actually think that while Trevor and Rodney were good players, they forced other players to be a bit more timid in order to get the both of them looks. I think we will be more free flowing this year and players won't be thinking about making mistakes (Tubby took you out if you took a 3 before the shot clock struck 10). I think we will get up and down and it will be interesting to see the late game management from Pitino, but I would be surprised if we don't sustain a bit more success this year than last. I think our 3 point shooting will be a key part of the team this year, something we really couldn't rely on from anybody other than Andre or Austin last year. I predict that we finish 6th or 7th and have a good chance to make the tournament. I may be drinking the kool-aid, but I do see the seniors being gone as a positive.

No way we beat out Bo Ryan this year when he's never even finished worse than 4th in the B1G
Every year when people think they are going to take a step back and finish lower they always seem to overachieve in the conference but eventually they aren't going to overachieve and they will take a step back and I think that will happen this season, although I thought the same thing last year.

Yeah, I don't see us finishing behind ALL of Penn State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois, which we would have to do to finish last. We could definitely finish behind one or several of them, but I just don't think we can finish behind ALL of them.

I think the rankings are a little too high on Iowa, Purdue, Illinois, and Penn State; and a little light on Indiana and Minnesota.

I know Iowa is headed in the right direction, but not sure they are ready for the deep end yet. I don't see them finishing above Indiana and Wisconsin. Penn State could be a last-place team again, even with Frazier. Purdue will be okay, but I don't see them in the NCAA and I'm not seeing it with Illinois. Illini lost a lot off of an already incredibly inconsistent team. I for sure don't see those two as significantly better than the Gophs.

I think Indiana will still be salty with outstanding point guard play, Shehee is solid, and the addition of Gordon and a good recruiting class will have them in the top 5. And, the Gophers have one of the top players in the league and will be a much more difficult preparation now than before.

If I had to rank 'em right now:

1) MSU
2) Michigan
3) OSU
4) Indiana
5) Wisconsin
6) Iowa
7) Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois
10) Nebraska, Northwestern
12) Penn State

This has to be a joke. We are returning one of the best backcourts in the big ten next year. With Dre, Austin playing well last year and then adding an experienced guy in Malik Smith, this should be a strong unit no doubt. Our frontcourt lost two really good players, despite what others above are saying losing Trevor and Rodney are big losses. But we have guys that are expected to step up like EE and Mo. If one of those two can step up an be average and we get Buckles there is no way we finish below 10.

One big thing that could happen this year is we surprise teams much like Illinois did last year. A new coach walks into a team with an experienced and talented backcourt and outperform expectations because of the leadership of this experienced backcourt.

I am going to take one out of Aaron Rodger's book and say: Jon Rothstein I'd bet my annual salary that the Gophers will not finish last in the Big Ten.

This has to be a joke. We are returning one of the best backcourts in the big ten next year. With Dre, Austin playing well last year and then adding an experienced guy in Malik Smith, this should be a strong unit no doubt. Our frontcourt lost two really good players, despite what others above are saying losing Trevor and Rodney are big losses. But we have guys that are expected to step up like EE and Mo. If one of those two can step up an be average and we get Buckles there is no way we finish below 10.

One big thing that could happen this year is we surprise teams much like Illinois did last year. A new coach walks into a team with an experienced and talented backcourt and outperform expectations because of the leadership of this experienced backcourt.

I like the 2012 Illinois comparison because I think we'll live and die by the 3 pointer this year. Last year we relied on Mbakwe and offensive rebounding for scoring inside. Well, Mbakwe is gone and our two best offensive rebounders are gone as well (Mbakwe and Williams). Scoring inside will be a struggle unless EE or Mo really step up. Hollins x2, Smith, King (if eligible), and Mav can all hit the 3 and figure to get a lot of playing time.

I'm obviously biased, but I don't see us finishing last. Guard play is the most important aspect of a good college basketball team and I think Andre and Austin are too good for us to lose that many games in the big ten.

I like the 2012 Illinois comparison because I think we'll live and die by the 3 pointer this year. Last year we relied on Mbakwe and offensive rebounding for scoring inside. Well, Mbakwe is gone and our two best offensive rebounders are gone as well (Mbakwe and Williams). Scoring inside will be a struggle unless EE or Mo really step up. Hollins x2, Smith, King (if eligible), and Mav can all hit the 3 and figure to get a lot of playing time.

I'm obviously biased, but I don't see us finishing last. Guard play is the most important aspect of a good college basketball team and I think Andre and Austin are too good for us to lose that many games in the big ten.

Exactly. I think I've heard Pitino say at least once that we are going to shoot the three a lot. I gotta say that if nothing else the Gophers will be exciting to watch.

I actually think we'll be better than last year.

Possible, but unlikely in my opinion.

Dre, Austin and Malik shoudl be able to put up a bunch of points.

Agreed.

Rodney couldn't really do a lot other than dunk.

He was also a very good defender and a decent rebounder. Having someone who can attack the rim is also important.

We may miss Trevor a little bit

A "little bit"???

but I think EE puts up comparable stats given more minutes

Utter insanity.

Have some depth at guard spot and Buggs should contribute as well. To be picked dead last is quite ridiculous in my opinion.

Agreed on all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherboner View Post
Rodney couldn't really do a lot other than dunk.
He was also a very good defender and a decent rebounder. Having someone who can attack the rim is also important.

Rodney was not good at attacking the rim unless he was finishing an ally-oop, or doing a drop step with a lazy defender on him. He could not attack the rim off the dribble, at all. More often than not when he was on the court we were playing 4 on 5 on on offense.

Rothstein can go suck a ****. Penn State and Nebraska better than us... Mmmhm, ok.

My thoughts exactly.

On another note, anyone else think Payne is overrated? Yeah, he's efficient, he learned to shoot a little, and he's pretty versatile. But his return makes them a FF contender? Maybe they are a FF contender, but that statement is misleading. I don't think Payne will even be the best player on their team.

Would beg to differ with Gophers finishing 12th, but I suppose it's possible.

I see this Gopher team's ceiling as 6th (with or without Buckles), with a bottom basement of 10th. Realistically can't envision us finishing ahead of Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Wisconsin, nor can I imagine finishing behind Nebraska and Penn State. We'll be in the Illinois/Indiana/Northwestern/Purdue mix.

Considering he apparently wasn't on the court on offense, it's pretty impressive that he was easily our leading scorer as a junior and our third leading scorer as a senior. He must've scored a lot of points while we were on defense.

Rodney was not good at attacking the rim unless he was finishing an ally-oop, or doing a drop step with a lazy defender on him. He could not attack the rim off the dribble, at all. More often than not when he was on the court we were playing 4 on 5 on on offense.

Considering he apparently wasn't on the court on offense, it's pretty impressive that he was easily our leading scorer as a junior and our third leading scorer as a senior. He must've scored a lot of points while we were on defense.

The fact he fell to third as a senior tells you all you need to know. Being the 3rd leading scorerer on a offensively challenged team like the Gophers is nothing to write home about. Plus, his scoring average was almost entirely made up of nonconference games and a few conference games where he scored significantly more (usually in transition or off oops) than his average. He was pretty much nonexistant during our entire slide in the 2nd half of the season last year. If you can't see that he was essentially nothing more than a body on offense I don't know what to tell you.

This is what I was thinking, when comparing to Iowa I like Minnesota's guards, EE and Mo will play to Woodbury's level, Iowa has better forwards but I don't see why we can't be competitive, I doubt we get in the top 5 but I see no reason 6th place is not achievable.

Defense and rebounding are the key unknowns, if they can play consistant defense they will surprise some people. I can't help but think that the offense is going to be measurably better than last year.

The fact he fell to third as a senior tells you all you need to know. Being the 3rd leading scorerer on a offensively challenged team like the Gophers is nothing to write home about. Plus, his scoring average was almost entirely made up of nonconference games and a few conference games where he scored significantly more (usually in transition or off oops) than his average. He was pretty much nonexistant during our entire slide in the 2nd half of the season last year. If you can't see that he was essentially nothing more than a body on offense I don't know what to tell you.

We finished 5th in the conference in scoring last year.

Not going to get in another argument about Rodney. But I will say once again that I think it's ridiculous to say "he could only dunk" like every one of his dunks were on a fast break. Many of those dunks came in put backs or drives were the average player may not have scored.

Sure he was a disappointment, but lets not act like he averaged 10.1 points a game by just being lucky.

We finished 5th in the conference in scoring last year.

Not going to get in another argument about Rodney. But I will say once again that I think it's ridiculous to say "he could only dunk" like every one of his dunks were on a fast break. Many of those dunks came in put backs or drives were the average player may not have scored.

Sure he was a disappointment, but lets not act like he averaged 10.1 points a game by just being lucky.

I gave him credit for ally-oops and drop step dunks in my original post. I'll add back door cuts as well. Hardly any of his dunks were a true drive to the hoop move though. And let's not even bring up his shooting. He was a pretty horrible offensive player, I'm surprised anyone would actually argue that. His strengths were defense and rebounding.

Rothstein had a lot to say about the Gophers last year from preseason until they were 15-1. He got quiet once they lost four in a row and finished the season 6-12 over their last 18.

I _really_ like that he talks to coaches and gets their thoughts on who might start, play big minutes, etc.. that is SUPER USEFUL and I appreciate it. However, with many coaches you have to bifurcate what is meaningful information and what is coach speak. Not sure he is great at doing that.

With Tubby for example, it became easy for many of us to see through the words being spoken. They were just words with no real meaning or relation to reality behind them them.

Wonder what Rothstein said about the Gophers last season?...

October 10, 2012
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/10...ds-to-minnesotas-impressive-depth-in-big-ten/

Rothstein Files: Mbakwe’s Return Adds To Minnesota’s Impressive Depth In Big Ten

Tubby: “The depth on this team is overwhelming. I’m going to play 10-12 guys. This is the deepest team I’ve ever had in my coaching career.”
-----------------------

December 22, 2012 (Gophers ranked #13 at the time)
@JonRothstein

Minnesota now 12-1 after 75-50 win over Lafayette. Golden Gophers vastly underrated. Deep, balanced, and well coached.
------------

January 6, 2013
@JonRothstein

Continue to be impressed w the way Tubby Smith is using his depth.
------------

January 9, 2013
@JonRothstein

Minnesota is a really tough team to prepare for. Gophers have several guys who can be the assassin. Tubby Smith’s deepest team ever.
------------

January 11, 2013 (Gophers 15-1, had beaten Illinois on the road by 17)
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01...at-to-watch-this-weekend-college-hoops-notes/

If I was a financial adviser, I’d tell my clients to buy stock in the Gophers.

Tubby Smith said before the season that this was his deepest team ever and he was right.
------------------

Sounds like Rothstein could be one of those Tubby fans, like Andy Katz. That might play into the last in the conference prediction, he could be sour about us firing him.

Top Bottom