Patrick Reusse: Gophers hoops crowd gets annual rip-off notice

I stopped reading at "Patrick Ruesse shares thoughts on his columns, issues and more"

Stupid Column, all teams have lowertier teams come in for nonconference, if you are going to play a team that is any good you either have to do it at a nuetral location or a home and home series which can be difficult to set up.

I give the coaching staff a pass in year 1 because they didn't have a lot of time to setup any meaningful games. We'll see how next year ('14-'15) shapes up next summer. Obviously, most of use prefer to see marquee matchups that will garner some national tv exposure and help get top flight recruits to take notice. Not many games in this schedule that will accomplish that, but it doesn't have to be an impediment to getting to the tournament. We just need to win more Big Ten games than we're used to winning. Whether that can happen is to be seen.

From the column:

The whole danged non-conference schedule (except for the Challenge) should be half-price. That's not happening, because Gophers baskeball fans get spanked in the pocket book every November and December, only to cringe and respond:

"Thank you, Goldy. May I have another.''

Go Gophers!!

I give the coaching staff a pass in year 1 because they didn't have a lot of time to setup any meaningful games. We'll see how next year ('14-'15) shapes up next summer. Obviously, most of use prefer to see marquee matchups that will garner some national tv exposure and help get top flight recruits to take notice. Not many games in this schedule that will accomplish that, but it doesn't have to be an impediment to getting to the tournament. We just need to win more Big Ten games than we're used to winning. Whether that can happen is to be seen.

Did you read the article?

I'm not sure the U "owes" season ticket holders anything. I think the schedule should be set with one primary goal in mind - what is best for the team? I think people would have more to complain about were it not for the fact that we play in the marquee conference in the nation and more than half the schedule is in conference.

Economically speaking, I think you can consider the price of season tickets to reflect the preferred seating that season tickets holders do get for the big-time games. You can't just compare the price of a random single game ticket (eg Big Ten game) to the overall price of a season ticket divided by the number of games. And Gopher ticket prices, including season tickets, are pretty reasonable compared to other sports and considering the number of games. There are over 50,000 Vikings season ticket holders who pay a price that includes 25% games that do not even COUNT, and the starters barely play.

Very well written article. I actually agree with everything he said. All Pitino needs to do to make that schedule a lot better is replace at least two (although 3 would be better) Non conference games with mid level high major teams...

It's not that difficult - Call up any team in the Pac-12 besides Arizona & one of them would surely do a home & home series.
Or call any SEC school besides Florida or Kentucky
Or call any up any Big 12 school besides Kansas
Or call up power mid major schools like VCU, Butler, Creighton, BYU & Gonzaga (Note: I understand that Butler & Creighton are in the New Big East)
Or at the very least, look at who will be good this upcoming year that are mid majors like Iona, Wichita State & New Mexico and give them a call

I know this is the Pitino's first year so he didn't want anything too challenging, but at least pick a team or two from that list and schedule some good games for season ticket holders.

All Pitino needs to do to ...

Uh, yeah, in between the million other things he's doing, with zero commitments for 2014 when he took over 3 months ago entering the height of recruiting season. I would imagine the schedule this year - at least the holes that were filled - were basically the teams left over this summer. Nobody wants to play these 300+ RPI teams and that's probably why they're the ones with space left on their schedule.

I think it's fair to say the schedule will "improve" in the next few years when the staff has more time.

Also, people overlook the fact that you don't just "get" any high major on your schedule. Assuming you people want a marquee non-conf home game every year (and remember we do HAVE an ACC team - FSU - this year) typically that means adding TWO such games to your non-conf schedule because you're always going to need a home and home. E.g., if you want to play Louisville at home, you're probably going to have to start with them on the road next year. So if you want a marquee home game next year, you probably have to agree to play somebody else on the road in 2015. And so on.

Uh, yeah, in between the million other things he's doing, with zero commitments for 2014 when he took over 3 months ago entering the height of recruiting season. I would imagine the schedule this year - at least the holes that were filled - were basically the teams left over this summer. Nobody wants to play these 300+ RPI teams and that's probably why they're the ones with space left on their schedule.

I think it's fair to say the schedule will "improve" in the next few years when the staff has more time.

Also, people overlook the fact that you don't just "get" any high major on your schedule. Assuming you people want a marquee non-conf home game every year (and remember we do HAVE an ACC team - FSU - this year) typically that means adding TWO such games to your non-conf schedule because you're always going to need a home and home. E.g., if you want to play Louisville at home, you're probably going to have to start with them on the road next year. So if you want a marquee home game next year, you probably have to agree to play somebody else on the road in 2015. And so on.

Uh, yeah, so you're saying that out of all the schools I just listed as examples every single one of them had every single non conference game filled three months ago when Pitino took over? You're also saying that Pitino is the only one that does all the contacting in terms of scheduling? See, when I said All Pitino needs to do... I meant all Pitino and his staff need to do is try to contact some of those schools on that list. Additionally, everyone knows you would be adding TWO games to you non-conf schedule... that is why in the first example I said, "one of them would surely do a home & home series," I just didn't think I needed to repeat it for every example I used.

You make it seem like in the 3 months Pitino and his staff have been here they couldn't have gotten a single power conf game lined up... Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

To schedule a known team requires a home and home.

A home and home means one less home game.

One less home game means less income.

Who makes that call?

To schedule a known team requires a home and home.

A home and home means one less home game.

One less home game means less income.

Who makes that call?

Not sure if that was rhetorical or not, but my assumption is that it would be the a combination of the AD and the Coach as well as others from the athletic department.

Yes a home and home series means one less home game, but what it also means (as people have pointed out before) is exposure on a large scale, which helps lure recruits and that helps build the program.

Rinse, cycle, repeat. We hear the same excuses every year. New staff ("I'll give him a pass this year, it'll be better next year"), football program doesn't bring in enough dough, Big 10 slate is tough enough, nobody wants to play us at The Barn, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Again, as GopherDude pointed out, not asking for a home-and-home with power-conference brand names like Louisville/UConn (AAC), Duke/North Carolina/Syracuse (ACC), Georgetown/Villanova (Big East), Kansas (Big 12), Arizona/UCLA (Pac 12), or Florida/Kentucky (SEC). That would be great, but I would never expect that, even now with the potential for a future Pitino-Pitino matchup.

Just throw us an occasional bone with a home-and-home vs. (for example) the likes of a Cincinnati/Memphis (AAC), a Providence/Seton Hall (Big East), a Kansas State/Oklahoma State (Big 12), a Colorado/Washington State (Pac 12), or a South Carolina/Vanderbilt (SEC). All programs of similar ilk to the Gophers. It's not that difficult. Since Monson left (at least he scheduled home-and-homes vs. major conferences), the Gopher program is significantly behind most its peers when it comes to scheduling notable home-and-homes.

Not sure if that was rhetorical or not, but my assumption is that it would be the a combination of the AD and the Coach as well as others from the athletic department.

Yes a home and home series means one less home game, but what it also means (as people have pointed out before) is exposure on a large scale, which helps lure recruits and that helps build the program.

Point being; money is one of the main driving factors.

Gophers have one of the most profitable BB programs and one of the least profitable FB programs. Figure it out.

Gophers have one of the most profitable BB programs and one of the least profitable FB programs. Figure it out.

So, basing it off strictly money, you think the Gophers playing two home games (in back to back years) against a team like the North Florida Ospreys, in which the attendance is 10,000 and we get no exposure, is a better economic decision than playing a home and home serious vs a team like Oklahoma St. in which we'd sell out and probably be nationally televised (get great exposure as a program)? The exposure would allow fans & recruits to see us on a network like ESPN which would have a much greater economic impact in the long run than a non televised game against a Sh*t team. You're downplaying the impact good exposure has on a program.

Respectfully. ... what about Northwestern? Profitable football program?

Despite its recent success under Fitzgerald, NU fan support (crowds) for football sucks. Yet their administration/AD/head basketball coach in the last 7 seasons has managed to schedule home-and-homes vs. Baylor (Big 12), DePaul (Big East) twice, and Stanford (Pac 12) three times, not to mention Butler and Creighton, who have parlayed their consistently strong programs into a "New Big East" landing spot.

In that same time period the U has scheduled a home-and-home vs. one program from a Power 6 conference, USC. 1. Uno. Once in 7 years.

So, basing it off strictly money, you think the Gophers playing two home games (in back to back years) against a team like the North Florida Ospreys, in which the attendance is 10,000 and we get no exposure, is a better economic decision than playing a home and home serious vs a team like Oklahoma St. in which we'd sell out and probably be nationally televised (get great exposure as a program)? The exposure would allow fans & recruits to see us on a network like ESPN which would have a much greater economic impact in the long run than a non televised game against a Sh*t team. You're downplaying the impact good exposure has on a program.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle on this argument, but you get exposure in the preseason tournaments, Big Ten / ACC Challenge, and then the conference games. With the Big Ten network and ESPN games, recruits can definitely see the Gophers on television. I really don't think exposure is a problem. But giving up a home game to schedule an Oklahoma State does have a financial impact. Two games at 75% capacity vs 1 game at 100% capacity is definitely different. How else do we pay for all the second tier sports?

Our family has had season tickets for 40 plus years now, so I understand the angst about the scheduling. Given the PR hit they likely take every time the schedule comes out, I'm assuming there are many factors at play here.

Yet that hasn't prevented their administration/AD/head basketball coach, etc., from scheduling home-and-homes in the last 7 seasons vs. Baylor, DePaul (twice), and Stanford (3 times), not to mention Butler and Creighton, who have parlayed their strong programs into a "New Big East" landing spot.

In that same time period the U has scheduled a home-and-home vs. one program from a Power 6 conference, USC.

A) What do the last seven years have to do with a new AD and a new BB coach?

B) Schedule didn't really pay off for Northwestern's postseason aspirations.

C) Were anything of those games even close to selling out an 8,117 seat arena? Butler last year just over 7000. Unbeaten Northwestern vs. unbeaten #7 Baylor two years ago? 6300. Creighton three years ago....3819. Stanford four years ago....5098.

D) With Pitino's pedigree and with any success in recruiting this year there is zero doubt the schedule will be upgraded. Pitino wants a national profile for this program and more importantly, himself.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle on this argument, but you get exposure in the preseason tournaments, Big Ten / ACC Challenge, and then the conference games. With the Big Ten network and ESPN games, recruits can definitely see the Gophers on television. I really don't think exposure is a problem. But giving up a home game to schedule an Oklahoma State does have a financial impact. Two games at 75% capacity vs 1 game at 100% capacity is definitely different. How else do we pay for all the second tier sports?

Our family has had season tickets for 40 plus years now, so I understand the angst about the scheduling. Given the PR hit they likely take every time the schedule comes out, I'm assuming there are many factors at play here.

I get what you're saying but here's an example I think about from last year...

Illinois went on the road to play at Gonzaga last year and it was on ESPN or ESPN 2. I remember watching Brandon Paul go off and everyone tweeting & posting on Facebook about how good he was (even friends of mine that were casual college bball fans were). I also remember thinking how good of a game that was. Now, if a possible recruit watches a game where Minnesota goes on the road against a great Gonzaga team (or team like them) and Andre Hollins lights up the scoreboard with 30+ points like Paul did, they'll say to themselves, I could see myself doing that at Minnesota. Or better yet, the game is at home against a great team and a recruit sees all the fans in the barn going crazy, jumping around, screaming etc... Home & home series that feature two good programs give us exposure. People see maroon & gold and the image is always in the back of their mind (like I have with the Ill. vs Gonzaga game).

This idea is especially import with recruits from out of state that aren't in the B1G network areas (like Perkins or Whitehead). Coupling extra exposure with Pitino recruiting hard is never a bad idea. And, IMO, is a better long term economic decision than putting a bunch of 300+ RPI scrubs on the schedule. There is no right answer, that's just how I see it.

I didn't think it was possible, but I think I am more intrigued by the football non-conference schedule (UNLV, W Illinois & San Jose St). When you combine the two, the word brutal does not quite do them justice.

Or better yet, the game is at home against a great team and a recruit sees all the fans in the barn going crazy, jumping around, screaming etc..

Not trying to disagree with your post or anything, but this can happen when we play big ten teams too. Case in point, Indiana last year. I'm sure that was really good exposure for our program and it had nothing to do with our nonconference schedule.

I'm not a season ticket holder so I'm not in a position to question those that pay big money to see D1 bottom feeders come to the barn every fall. I'm sure it sucks. That being said, the fact that this is Pitino's first year is a legit excuse. If it continues the next few years then we have been lied to, because I'm pretty sure Pitino and Teague have mentioned beefing up the schedule in the future.

A) What do the last seven years have to do with a new AD and a new BB coach?

B) Schedule didn't really pay off for Northwestern's postseason aspirations.

C) Were anything of those games even close to selling out an 8,117 seat arena? Butler last year just over 7000. Unbeaten Northwestern vs. unbeaten #7 Baylor two years ago? 6300. Creighton three years ago....3819. Stanford four years ago....5098.

D) With Pitino's pedigree and with any success in recruiting this year there is zero doubt the schedule will be upgraded. Pitino wants a national profile for this program and more importantly, himself.

Fair points for A & B, though I'd argue my point was more about occasionally rewarding loyal season-ticket holders than it is about postseason (NCAA) aspirations or knocking the previous regime.

Hope you're right about D as it pertains to the home schedule. I'll be skeptical until proven otherwise and am unwilling to let our new AD completely off the hook. Right after Teague was hired I seem to recall him telling us (paraphrasing) the home schedule would improve in future years. Basketball-wise we're two years into his regime and I've seen no improvement. That certainly will change immediately if Son Pitino can convince Father Pitino to play a home-and-home.

Many kudos to Teague and Pitino if they start bringing notable opponents to Minneapolis. I'll be the first to pat them on the back.

I get what you're saying but here's an example I think about from last year...

Illinois went on the road to play at Gonzaga last year and it was on ESPN or ESPN 2. I remember watching Brandon Paul go off and everyone tweeting & posting on Facebook about how good he was (even friends of mine that were casual college bball fans were). I also remember thinking how good of a game that was. Now, if a possible recruit watches a game where Minnesota goes on the road against a great Gonzaga team (or team like them) and Andre Hollins lights up the scoreboard with 30+ points like Paul did, they'll say to themselves, I could see myself doing that at Minnesota. Or better yet, the game is at home against a great team and a recruit sees all the fans in the barn going crazy, jumping around, screaming etc... Home & home series that feature two good programs give us exposure. People see maroon & gold and the image is always in the back of their mind (like I have with the Ill. vs Gonzaga game).

This idea is especially import with recruits from out of state that aren't in the B1G network areas (like Perkins or Whitehead). Coupling extra exposure with Pitino recruiting hard is never a bad idea. And, IMO, is a better long term economic decision than putting a bunch of 300+ RPI scrubs on the schedule. There is no right answer, that's just how I see it.

Hard to say what impacts a recruit's decision-making process. Probably doesn't hurt in an example like you stated. Had Illinois laid an egg that game, would that have had the opposite effect? Not sure. Maybe exposure is exposure, negative or positive.

I think the two biggest factors in schedule making are revenue and record. Sadly, the revenue angle is probably more geared at what is best for the athletic department, as opposed to what is best for the basketball program. The record angle is all about getting enough wins to make yourself attractive for the NCAA tournament or a second tier bowl game (see North Carolina scheduling fiasco in the football program).

This schedule is not good, no doubt. And, no doubt, they wanted to pad the win totals early to help a young coach out. I'm good with that.

But, I think it is a good bet that the schedule will be upgraded next year. I also think we will get some higher profile games in future years.

Combine the two bolded statements.

Respectfully. ... what about Northwestern? Profitable football program?

Despite its recent success under Fitzgerald, NU fan support (crowds) for football sucks. Yet their administration/AD/head basketball coach in the last 7 seasons has managed to schedule home-and-homes vs. Baylor (Big 12), DePaul (Big East) twice, and Stanford (Pac 12) three times, not to mention Butler and Creighton, who have parlayed their consistently strong programs into a "New Big East" landing spot.

In that same time period the U has scheduled a home-and-home vs. one program from a Power 6 conference, USC. 1. Uno. Once in 7 years.

Just saying that losing a home game and it's income(tik income and concession income) is a big factor for an athletic dept trying to support all the non-revenue sports and balancing the budget. If Football averaged 80-90 k per game it may well be a different story.

As far as Northwestern, I have no idea on their situation.

Not trying to disagree with your post or anything, but this can happen when we play big ten teams too. Case in point, Indiana last year. I'm sure that was really good exposure for our program and it had nothing to do with our nonconference schedule.

What I'm saying is why not take a mild hit or two financially and have that exposure for a couple of non conference games too?

People, If the program can afford to opt out of two UNC football games for $800,000, they can afford taking two home games at 75% capacity off the schedule over two years for better competition & exposure in the non conf schedule...

Top Bottom