GopherSports: Richard Pitino Blog: Recruiting & Much More

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per his new blog!

Good afternoon, Gopher fans!

I am currently writing this blog 30,000 feet in the air, headed back from my last recruiting trip of the July recruiting period. A lot of coaches differ in their approach when it comes to July recruiting. During this period, NCAA rules allow us to evaluate possible recruits. That means we aren't allowed any in-person contact with a recruit, AAU coach, or anyone associated with the recruit. Many coaches have different game plans during this time. Some head coaches will follow around their top targets and make sure they are seen at their games. Other coaches believe being seen during this period isn't important come decision time. I have gone back and forth on this topic. I do believe it keeps you in the mix with recruits, but when it's time for a decision to be made, rarely does me being at their games in July come into the discussion. There are several stages to recruiting and this is simply a necessary step that has to be taken. Every kid is unique and values certain things in the process differently. Our staff will get together tomorrow and put together a game plan for how to approach each recruit.

Over the last two weeks we have done individual instruction instead of team practices. My goal during our team practices was to establish our style of play with the guys - more so offensively than defensively. We have given them a few plays and let them run with it. We have taught them certain terminology and rules that they will hear daily during the season. In the end, the summer is great because we get to work with our players, but it will be completely different than the regular season. We also do our best to build as much chemistry with the incoming guys so that they feel comfortable when school starts. It's only July and everyone understands it is a long season. A great foundation was laid with Coach Smith. We are looking to continue to strengthen that foundation each and every day.

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/20...re.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

This is really cool! Hopefully it is something he continues leading up to the season.

There is more to his post if you click on the link, by the way.

Definitely one of the coolest things so far about this hire. I have thoroughly enjoyed both of his blog posts thus far.

I really like that he included some recruiting philosophies during July. It's cool to get that perspective straight from the head coach.

I think it says a lot when he is invited to attend, and attends the wedding of a player he coached two jobs back.

The non conference season schedule also comes out tomorrow per the blog. Am I mistaken that, that is a bit earlier than Tubby released his?

So far a great job with the blog. One reason I like the hiring of a younger coach is an approach with social media to connect the fans and the team. Not sure a more established coach would have done something like this.

Love it. Becoming a big Pitino fan!!

Agree with the above posts. We who follow this site hunger for info and Pitino is happy to provide it. I feel like I have heard more from Pitino these first months then with the 6 years w/Tubby. Probably not really true, but the perception is very nice.

I do believe that after 1 full year we will have heard factually more from Pitino then we did in the 6 years of Tubby PR. Pitino is a social media person and a man of high energy making him easily over shadow Tubby's PR and general communication.

Pitino didn't say much of substance in this one. I was hoping dude would drop some hints like.. "Hi guys... I think I might get a new buckle next week. Probably on Wednesday. That's when the new advertisements come out and I'm hopeful there will be some great deals! I love buckles."

Pitino didn't say much of substance in this one. I was hoping dude would drop some hints like.. "Hi guys... I think I might get a new buckle next week. Probably on Wednesday. That's when the new advertisements come out and I'm hopeful there will be some great deals! I love buckles."

LOL... Yeah, that would have been great to hear. Maybe by the time he posts again Buckles will be in Maroon & Gold!

I'm diggin the use of social media. Even if he's not giving us a lot of info, he's still being involved with the fan base. Good job coach!

I thought his comments about the importance (or lack thereof) of being at the recruits' games were interesting. And he did break the news that the schedule's coming out today. And he gave us another Mo weight update, which is a Gopherhole favorite, LOL.

Given the restrictions on what he can say about recruits, I think he's done well with the blog. It's a great idea, and will be even more interesting to read when the season starts, especially if he's frank in his evaluation of the teams' performance in games (which I think he will be).

Agree with the above posts. We who follow this site hunger for info and Pitino is happy to provide it. I feel like I have heard more from Pitino these first months then with the 6 years w/Tubby. Probably not really true, but the perception is very nice.

I do believe that after 1 full year we will have heard factually more from Pitino then we did in the 6 years of Tubby PR. Pitino is a social media person and a man of high energy making him easily over shadow Tubby's PR and general communication.

In case you don't know, Richard Pitino is a son of the biggest salesman in CB.

Go Gophers

If Tubby wrote a 500 word blog post, how many sentences would there be?

Top Bottom