Could they move the Michigan State start time if it conflicts with our bowl game?

Stan

Reaction score
We are scheduled to play Michigan State at Williams Arena on Dec. 31 at 5pm. The Insight Bowl is that same night starting at the same time. Would there be any way in which they would move the Gopher basketball game up even an hour? The Big Ten Network has 4 or 5 games that day so it's not out of the question to have a Big Ten game played during the work day. My fear is that we'll have such a sparse crowd for one of the biggest home games of the year as many people will want to watch the bowl game and the students will as well. It's a shame that this isn't in East Lansing.

I think the basketball team will have a little more pull than an insignificant bowl on TV.

I don't think we'll have to worry about the Gophers' bowl game hurting the Gopher basketball crowd. It's already a sell-out, isn't it?

I agree with From the Barn. Given the choice of watching the Gophers-MSU basketball Big 10 opener or a 4-straight-losses Gopher football squad vs. whomever in a non-descript bowl game. ... not exactly must-see TV. Any person (other than the most staunch of Gopher football supporters) who'd rather watch a non-descript bowl game on TV over the Gophers' Big 10 opener vs. a top-shelf opponent. ... I'd have to question their sanity.

You do make a good point. I would think there's a possibility Delany & the Big Ten Network would figure something out to help Gopher fans sort this out. I do like the 5 p.m. start. I have to work that day so I don't want it any earlier, and I certainly don't want to be on the roads any later on New Year's Eve when all the drunks are more likely to get behind the wheel.

I don't think we'll have to worry about the Gophers' bowl game hurting the Gopher basketball crowd. It's already a sell-out, isn't it?

I agree with From the Barn. Given the choice of watching the Gophers-MSU basketball Big 10 opener or a 4-straight-losses Gopher football squad vs. whomever in a non-descript bowl game. ... not exactly must-see TV. Any person (other than the most staunch of Gopher football supporters) who'd rather watch a non-descript bowl game on TV over the Gophers' Big 10 opener vs. a top-shelf opponent. ... I'd have to question their sanity.

Are you seriously ripping on your own football team?

I'm a Gopher fan. I want to watch both.

Are you seriously ripping on your own football team?

I'm a Gopher fan. I want to watch both.

Exactly. The question isn't which would you prefer to watch if they are on at the same time. The question is - is there a way to move the hoops game so we can watch both? I see the BTN has four basketball games televised that day. Maybe they could swap with an earlier game and then we could actually support both teams. I know of specific cases at LSU, Iowa, and Arkansas where they moved basketball gametimes to allow bowl game viewing, too.

MSU game is NOT a sellout, nor is it even that close as of right now. You buy pretty decent upper deck tickets on line right now for that game.

Gophers aren't my favorite football team, but they're my second!

Just goes to show that life is full of choices, we can't always have everything wrapped in a nice little bow for us. Gopher fans may be faced with a choice on New Year's Eve, and hopefully both squads come out on top.

Exactly. The question isn't which would you prefer to watch if they are on at the same time. The question is - is there a way to move the hoops game so we can watch both? I see the BTN has four basketball games televised that day. Maybe they could swap with an earlier game and then we could actually support both teams. I know of specific cases at LSU, Iowa, and Arkansas where they moved basketball gametimes to allow bowl game viewing, too.

Which bowl games were those?

I remember a long time ago - mid 90s, I think - where the same situation happened with the Hawkeyes. I had basketball season tickets and they moved the start time up for the basketball game so it wouldn't conflict with the bowl game. It wasn't a Big Ten game and I would bet that there weren't any ESPN (and obviously no BTN) contracts to worry about. These days, it might be more tricky. But I would agree with grunkiejr - I would want to watch both if I were in that situation.

MSU

Can't help it, got it from my dad. Grew up hearing about Duffy Daugherty, Biggie Munn, Bubba Smith, Spartan Stadium & running around the house to the tune of the Spartan fight song. My dad brainwashed me, at least when it came to college football!

When we first moved to Minnesota, fortunately dad started taking me to Gopher basketball games at Williams Arena & the Pillsbury Classic at Met Center. That's how I got hooked on Gopher hoops in particular & college basketball as a whole, in general. He knows when Sparty plays the Gophers in basketball where my allegiances are; he's (begrudgingly) accepted it.

They didn't move the bowl game times, they moved the hoops times. I cannot remember the specific bowl games, but I do remember them moving the start times of the basketball games. I believe in the case of Arkansas, it was actually moving the basketball game to allow viewing of the SEC football title game a couple of years ago.

Last row in the corner of the upper deck?

Last row? I just checked and could order 6 together in section 217 in row 10. Of course, that isn't an elite seat, but I never said you would be sitting courtside next to Donna Smith if you ordered now. But, this isn't the last row, either. It indicates there must be 1000 or more tickets left. This game will sellout, but it is NOT there yet. That's all I'm saying.

We shouldn't have to choose which one to watch. I love Gopher Football and Gopher Basketball equally. For me, watching the last Gopher football game until September vs. attending the first of 9 Big Ten home basketball games would be a tough choice. Yes, I would probably choose the hoops game as it is MSU in town and I would be there in person instead of watching it on TV. But I wouldn't be happy about missing much of our bowl game.

Can't help it, got it from my dad. Grew up hearing about Duffy Daugherty, Biggie Munn, Bubba Smith, Spartan Stadium & running around the house to the tune of the Spartan fight song. My dad brainwashed me, at least when it came to college football!

When we first moved to Minnesota, fortunately dad started taking me to Gopher basketball games at Williams Arena & the Pillsbury Classic at Met Center. That's how I got hooked on Gopher hoops in particular & college basketball as a whole, in general. He knows when Sparty plays the Gophers in basketball where my allegiances are; he's (begrudgingly) accepted it.

Fair enough, SS.

They didn't move the bowl game times, they moved the hoops times. I cannot remember the specific bowl games, but I do remember them moving the start times of the basketball games. I believe in the case of Arkansas, it was actually moving the basketball game to allow viewing of the SEC football title game a couple of years ago.

I asked about the bowl games because I doubt they moved the basketball games to accomodate the MicronPC (RIP) Bowl.

The bowl game that the home team university was playing in. The name of the bowl game doesn't matter. The fact that there were two major university events and the timing of one could be flexed is all that matters.

If you don't like football so be it but you shouldn't be on here writing inflammatory statements about other sports at the university. I'm guessing 95% of the people on Gopher Hole care about both sports. The football forum consistently has more people viewing than the basketball board which should tell you something.

Personally, I'd probably stay home and bring the tv from my bedroom to my living room to watch both. Otherwise, I'd try to go to a bar that would have both on at the same time. If there are people like me that would let tickets go to waste to watch both games then the basketball team's attendance will be impacted.

I asked about the bowl games because I doubt they moved the basketball games to accomodate the MicronPC (RIP) Bowl.

Gotcha. I think there are some other questions here, too. How many people work during the day on that? It is a Wednesday, after all. The BTN has MBB games starting at 11am that day and running through the night. It seems they could easily swap out our game with an earlier game, but does that create issues for those who were counting on working that day and then heading over to the game? Probably. Nothing is ever easy.

Sprint has NFL Network

Chris Hawkey has been pimping Sprint's ties with the NFL network. If you have Sprint with a data package, you can get the NFL network on your phone.

You might see Sprint sales rise if they don't move the game.

The bowl game that the home team university was playing in. The name of the bowl game doesn't matter. The fact that there were two major university events and the timing of one could be flexed is all that matters.

If you don't like football so be it but you shouldn't be on here writing inflammatory statements about other sports at the university. I'm guessing 95% of the people on Gopher Hole care about both sports. The football forum consistently has more people viewing than the basketball board which should tell you something.

Personally, I'd probably stay home and bring the tv from my bedroom to my living room to watch both. Otherwise, I'd try to go to a bar that would have both on at the same time. If there are people like me that would let tickets go to waste to watch both games then the basketball team's attendance will be impacted.

I'm plenty inflammatory, but writing that we are in a terrible bowl game is not a inflammatory and does not mean I don't care about football. It merely reflect reality. And the bowl games that led to rescheduling does matter. If we were playing Tennessee Tech while the football team was in the National Championship game, this would be an entirely different situation.

Would it be insulting to suggest that this problem could have easily been solved by not losing 4 games in a row?

What a rediculous thought. To actually think the University should move the start of the Big Ten Basketball Opener vs Michigan State...which shouldn't be on new years Eve in the first place...to acomodate a possible Insight Bowl conflict. The football game will be on in the Williams Arena hall way I'm sure.

You bought tickets to the Gopher basketball! The games at 5:00 p.m. If you'd rather stay home and watch the Gopher football team stay home.

You won't be missed I guarantee you.

Would it be insulting to suggest that this problem could have easily been solved by not losing 4 games in a row?

Actually, blame Oregon state.

But seriously, I don't know why you are so opposed to changing the game time, and are being nasty about it. If the basketball game can be moved up a couple hours, will that do any harm? It would allow a lot of people who like both sports to watch both games.

It doesn't matter if its the toilet bowl or the Rose bowl. I'm sure you like watching every basketball game, regardless if its against Michigan state or NDSU. For me, it would suck to have to miss any football or basketball game.

Yup, lots of people have to work a half day on NYE and won't be able to go. There is your harm.

And please quote anything "nasty" that I have written.

Yup, lots of people have to work a half day on NYE and won't be able to go. There is your harm.

Fair enough, I didn't even think to check what day of the week it was. I stand corrected. Still, why not just use that argument instead of instantly ripping the football team and its fans?

What a rediculous thought. To actually think the University should move the start of the Big Ten Basketball Opener vs Michigan State...which shouldn't be on new years Eve in the first place...to acomodate a possible Insight Bowl conflict. The football game will be on in the Williams Arena hall way I'm sure.

You bought tickets to the Gopher basketball! The games at 5:00 p.m. If you'd rather stay home and watch the Gopher football team stay home.

You won't be missed I guarantee you.

The Big Ten shouldn't be playing games before January. I remember back in 2002/03 season I was able to watch Gophers vs. Texas Tech with Bobby Knight returning to the Barn and then drive down to Nashville for the Motor City Bowl. What a great weekend! The Big Ten season didn't start until Jan. 3 or so which I think is normal.

New Years Eve in particular is a dumb date to play a game. At least it is early but even having it that day is ridiculous. And there is no reason the game shouldn't be played at noon or 2:00 pm. If they're playing it at 5:00 they are already assuming people are not at work.

Yes, I did buy season tickets to Gopher basketball, and I bought them for Gopher football. Both teams and sports are important to me. If it was a New Year's Day bowl or the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio I would have gone to the bowl game. However, I've been to Orlando too many times and the city kind of sucks so I don't want to make the trek to the bowl this year.

I'm plenty inflammatory, but writing that we are in a terrible bowl game is not a inflammatory and does not mean I don't care about football. It merely reflect reality. And the bowl games that led to rescheduling does matter. If we were playing Tennessee Tech while the football team was in the National Championship game, this would be an entirely different situation.

Everything you have written about the football team and their bowl has a definite negative tone. To me it is inflammatory to claim to be a Gopher fan and speak in a derrogative manner toward the team. I think it is wrong to be apathetic or negative toward a Gopher team and that holds true for the Monson years, the Wacker years, or the Gutenkust years.

As far as bowls, your definition of terrible is probably different than mine. If you've never been to a bowl game you wouldn't understand. I've been to the Sun Bowl in El Paso, Music City in Nashville, and last year I went to the Emerald Bowl in San Fran because the Gophers didn't give me a better option. All of the bowls are a lot of fun--unless they are in Detroit--so the only bad bowl is the Motor City Bowl.

The football team is still wearing the maroon and gold and they deserve our support. I for one am very interested to see if changing the o-line coach has any impact. If that one unit can improve we should have a very good team coming back and I expect it to be our best team since 2003.

Top Bottom