Trevor Mbakwe will play for Italian club Virtus Roma next season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet: @mndailysports: Former #Gophers star Trevor Mbakwe will play for Italian club Virtus Roma next season, via @SportandoBasket.

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully he does well over seas and gets picked up by an NBA team next year.

Not a bad place to end up at all. Would be an awesome experience. Hope he makes the most of it!

I bet Cody Zeller is relieved that Trevor isn't in the NBA this season.

I'd take Italy over the D-League any day of the week. A player like Mbakwe needs to be honest with himself. He's a very good player, but he's not an NBA player. At 25 y/o, with two bad knees, he needs to earn every penny he can, while he can. The D League offers a simpler path to the NBA (if it ever comes) but they earn peanuts (12-24k per year + $30 a day per diem). I think it's a safe bet he's going to make around 6 figures, plus per diem, furnished apartment, car and a set of round trip plane tickets (travel expenses) per year. Play hard, get better contracts and by the time he's 30 he should have several hundred grand socked away when he retires. Enough at least to buy a house and car outright back home when he's done. Once your house and cars are paid for, a person can live pretty well on the cheap the rest of their life.

I'd take Italy over the D-League any day of the week. A player like Mbakwe needs to be honest with himself. He's a very good player, but he's not an NBA player. At 25 y/o, with two bad knees, he needs to earn every penny he can, while he can. The D League offers a simpler path to the NBA (if it ever comes) but they earn peanuts (12-24k per year + $30 a day per diem). I think it's a safe bet he's going to make around 6 figures, plus per diem, furnished apartment, car and a set of round trip plane tickets (travel expenses) per year. Play hard, get better contracts and by the time he's 30 he should have several hundred grand socked away when he retires. Enough at least to buy a house and car outright back home when he's done. Once your house and cars are paid for, a person can live pretty well on the cheap the rest of their life.
Trevor can still make it to the NBA from Italy. As far as salary goes, in 2011 Matt Janning signed for 120K in his first year in that league.

Mbakwe could easily make it as a good rebounder and defender, who isn't offensively skilled. Look at Reggie Evans

Loved him as a Gopher, but he's not an NBA player.

I'm pretty shocked Mbakwe didn't catch on with a contender like the Spurs. He is an elite rebounder and a very good defender.

Top Bottom