Gophers-Buckeyes

BoogeyMan

Reaction score
Big Series for the Gophers this weekend. The Buckeyes have a great record coming into the series, but have not played the level of competition the Gophers have (they did beat Miami in a midweek game though). I think this series will go a long way to determine how the rest of the year plays out for the Gophers. A series win (hopefully a sweep) will really give the young guys a confidence boost and could carry them a long way. A loss could really bring them back down to earth. I think the Gophers will take 2 of 3 this weekend.

On a side note, I know the Gophers almost have to play UNI each year, because of proximity, and they fact they are one of a few D1 teams that they can play mid week without having to miss to much schoo, etc, but I would love if they never played them again. Over the last few years they have really struggled to win any of the games against UNI. I know it is a terrible excuse because it is a quality D1 opponent, but it was so hard getting up for games against UNI, and we cannot win on talent alone against them (as opposed to SDSU or NDSU, for whom we can beat on talent alone), that going down to UNI or even playing them up here seemed like a chore, rather than a real game. Terrible mindset, espically because I know UNI probably feels the same way, but they always come out to play, and then Gophers just always fall flat.

Two top 25 teams meeting at the Metrodome and not a peep from the media.

Two top 25 teams meeting at the Metrodome and not a peep from the media.

Attendance of 821! No wonder no one takes Big 10 baseball seriously. The Gophers should be the best northern team every year with the advantage the Dome gives them. No one else can work out in a full size park and be sure that they can play early season home games, but somehow that advantage is lost on the Gophers and the fans.

Big Series for the Gophers this weekend. The Buckeyes have a great record coming into the series, but have not played the level of competition the Gophers have (they did beat Miami in a midweek game though). I think this series will go a long way to determine how the rest of the year plays out for the Gophers. A series win (hopefully a sweep) will really give the young guys a confidence boost and could carry them a long way. A loss could really bring them back down to earth. I think the Gophers will take 2 of 3 this weekend.

On a side note, I know the Gophers almost have to play UNI each year, because of proximity, and they fact they are one of a few D1 teams that they can play mid week without having to miss to much schoo, etc, but I would love if they never played them again. Over the last few years they have really struggled to win any of the games against UNI. I know it is a terrible excuse because it is a quality D1 opponent, but it was so hard getting up for games against UNI, and we cannot win on talent alone against them (as opposed to SDSU or NDSU, for whom we can beat on talent alone), that going down to UNI or even playing them up here seemed like a chore, rather than a real game. Terrible mindset, espically because I know UNI probably feels the same way, but they always come out to play, and then Gophers just always fall flat.

The UNI thing has perplexed me also. They are a middle of the pack MO Valley team at best and we seem to always struggle against them. Very disappointing. Big win last night, too bad only 800 people saw it. Hopefully the new stadium will increase fan support when and if it gets built.

I was at the game and as much a pain as it is some times parking around Siebert, it sucks having gopher baseball games at the Metrodome. Only one concession stand open that had a long line the entire game and parking downtown is not cheap. It's just not a fun atmosphere and I can see why more fans don't go to the metrodome games, plus the fact that you really had to work hard to find out that two top 25 teams are playing this weekend. Sure it got a little chilly once the sun went down but there is no reason all three of these games shouldn't be at Siebert.

Regarding Northern Iowa, I don't think we will have to worry about them much longer as they are droping there baseball program after this year.

As for the game, the Gophers have some really strong bats in this lineup which included four freshman and two sophomores. AJ Petterson has been a huge suprise at the plate and in the field. He had a Sportscenter worthy diving stop and backhanded flip to second that saved a run and a huge triple early in the game to give the Gophers the lead. Kvansnicka and McCullum are a lethal pair in the middle of the lineup and Knudson can really stroke it too. Decker had a bad game and had a bad error in the eighth that allowed two runs to score. bullpen had a rough two innings and almost gave this game away, starting getting flashbacks of last year. Overall a good win against a good team.

UNI is dropping baseball? That is disappointing, although they were a thorn in our sides, you never want to see a program going under. The dome gives the Gophers a big advantage, except when it comes to drawing fans. No one wants to go watch a college baseball game at the dome, and as mentioned above, you would never know that two of the top 25 teams in the country were playing because the Gopher Baseball team never gets any press. Year in, year out the baseball squad is one of the most competitive teams at the University, but no one pays attention until they are about to win another Big Ten title, or make a nice run in the Big Ten Tourney. College baseball in MN is never going to followed as close as the big sports, but if they could get any press I think people would enjoy coming out to watch a baseball game. People love the twins around here, and the Gopher teams plays an entertaining brand of ball just like the Twins, that if people ever got out to watch, they would really enjoy (espically when that new stadium has arrived)

Anyways, I am looking forward to another Gopher Win today, see you at the park.

I don't know if it was the case this year, but certainly in years past, part of why UNI was able to beat us was that we never threw any of our top arms at them. I'm guessing that with No. 18 OSU looming, I doubt Anderson threw any of our top four starters out there for the Panthers. Meanwhile, UNI has traditionally thrown an ace at us.

Again, I don't know the details. Could be we threw out best arm and still lost, but I doubt it.

I did read that we were leading UNI 6-1 late and blew the lead.

I don't know if it was the case this year, but certainly in years past, part of why UNI was able to beat us was that we never threw any of our top arms at them. I'm guessing that with No. 18 OSU looming, I doubt Anderson threw any of our top four starters out there for the Panthers. Meanwhile, UNI has traditionally thrown an ace at us.

Again, I don't know the details. Could be we threw out best arm and still lost, but I doubt it.

I did read that we were leading UNI 6-1 late and blew the lead.

I have no idea if UNI has thrown their ace in the past or not. I will say that very few teams that play in a conference throws their ace in a mid week game with a Friday conference game coming up. This last game (the 9-7 loss) against the Gophers both teams took the Johnny wholestaff approach and used 7 pitchers apiece.

I was at the game and as much a pain as it is some times parking around Siebert, it sucks having gopher baseball games at the Metrodome. Only one concession stand open that had a long line the entire game and parking downtown is not cheap.

You can park in the big parking lot behind the dome for free.

I can say for certain that over the last few years, UNI has never thrown their ace against us. The Gophers just never get up for the games and UNI does. Teams such as SDSU and NDSU have always thrown their ace at us because we were one of their biggest games. UNI plays in a solid conference and has to win their conference games.

Tough loss today, they had their chances, they just couldn't get a big hit, or a two out hit. Buske continues to throw really well.

Top Bottom