New Q&A: Henry Ellenson Talks Recruiting, Pitino and His Brother Wally

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Henry Ellenson Talks Recruiting, Pitino and His Brother Wally
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/273390?referrer_id=388419

Six-foot-9, 250lb forward Henry Ellenson, the younger brother of current Gophers freshman Wally, has emerged as a top 25 prospect in the country. GopherHole.com caught up with Ellenson after he helped lead Minnesota D1 16-and-under team to the title in their own tournament at Bloomington Jefferson. New Gopher head coach Richard Pitino was among several top coaches who watched Ellenson play.

Ellenson averaged 21.5 points per game as he helped lead the Warriors to a 20-5 record this past season, losing to Onalaska in the playoffs.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with how well you played this past weekend team-wise?

Henry Ellenson: It was a good weekend. I thought that we were really getting it together and really playing unselfish basketball.

Gopher Hole: You had a couple of easy wins and then a little tougher matchup. Is that ever tough going from fairly easy blowout wins to having to play a little bit harder?

Henry Ellenson: It is, but you just have to be ready for it and we responded well. It was a nice win.

Gopher Hole: There were a decent number of coaches watching you. Did you notice those names?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I looked up a little bit. I saw Tom Crean, (Fred) Hoiberg, (Richard) Pitino this weekend, Creighton and Marquette with Buzz Williams.

Gopher Hole: Do you notice those coaches or is hard not to?

Henry Ellenson: I notice it, but during the game, I just play.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment right now?

Henry Ellenson: Indiana, I have been talking to a lot (the Hoosiers offered Monday), Michigan State and the other teams that have offered me are keeping on me.

Gopher Hole: Have you picked up any new offers since the start of July?

Henry Ellenson: I’m not sure. I think Arizona State did.

Gopher Hole: How many offers do you have right now?

Henry Ellenson: I think 12.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about visiting some schools before high school starts?

Henry Ellenson: I think that I might go to some schools in the fall. We’ll see where I can get out to when I can.

Gopher Hole: How about this summer? You played in Las Vegas in the adidas Nations and in Colorado Springs for the USA trials. What were those experiences like?

Henry Ellenson: It was fun. Adidas Nations was a great opportunity. It was my first time that I had ever been there. It was really fun. I got to work some former NBA guys and some good coaches, so it was nice to learn some new things. Jared Sullinger’s dad was one of my coaches. It was nice.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers right now?

Henry Ellenson: They are talking to me and showing their interest in me.

Gopher Hole: What is your relationship with Coach Pitino like?

Henry Ellenson: I talk to him a little bit. I have talked to him twice so far.

Gopher Hole: What has your brother said about the coaching change?

Henry Ellenson: He said that he likes the new atmosphere. It is a whole different thing. Everyone is more excited for the season and it is just more positive.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you more excited about Minnesota than before?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I am glad that he is happy with it. I like the new up-tempo play.

Gopher Hole: Do you two talked about maybe trying to play in college together?

Henry Ellenson: A little bit, but not much.

Q&A: Henry Ellenson Talks Recruiting, Pitino and His Brother Wally
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/273390?referrer_id=388419

Six-foot-9, 250lb forward Henry Ellenson, the younger brother of current Gophers freshman Wally, has emerged as a top 25 prospect in the country. GopherHole.com caught up with Ellenson after he helped lead Minnesota D1 16-and-under team to the title in their own tournament at Bloomington Jefferson. New Gopher head coach Richard Pitino was among several top coaches who watched Ellenson play.

Ellenson averaged 21.5 points per game as he helped lead the Warriors to a 20-5 record this past season, losing to Onalaska in the playoffs.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with how well you played this past weekend team-wise?

Henry Ellenson: It was a good weekend. I thought that we were really getting it together and really playing unselfish basketball.

Gopher Hole: You had a couple of easy wins and then a little tougher matchup. Is that ever tough going from fairly easy blowout wins to having to play a little bit harder?

Henry Ellenson: It is, but you just have to be ready for it and we responded well. It was a nice win.

Gopher Hole: There were a decent number of coaches watching you. Did you notice those names?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I looked up a little bit. I saw Tom Crean, (Fred) Hoiberg, (Richard) Pitino this weekend, Creighton and Marquette with Buzz Williams.

Gopher Hole: Do you notice those coaches or is hard not to?

Henry Ellenson: I notice it, but during the game, I just play.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment right now?

Henry Ellenson: Indiana, I have been talking to a lot (the Hoosiers offered Monday), Michigan State and the other teams that have offered me are keeping on me.

Gopher Hole: Have you picked up any new offers since the start of July?

Henry Ellenson: I’m not sure. I think Arizona State did.

Gopher Hole: How many offers do you have right now?

Henry Ellenson: I think 12.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about visiting some schools before high school starts?

Henry Ellenson: I think that I might go to some schools in the fall. We’ll see where I can get out to when I can.

Gopher Hole: How about this summer? You played in Las Vegas in the adidas Nations and in Colorado Springs for the USA trials. What were those experiences like?

Henry Ellenson: It was fun. Adidas Nations was a great opportunity. It was my first time that I had ever been there. It was really fun. I got to work some former NBA guys and some good coaches, so it was nice to learn some new things. Jared Sullinger’s dad was one of my coaches. It was nice.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers right now?

Henry Ellenson: They are talking to me and showing their interest in me.

Gopher Hole: What is your relationship with Coach Pitino like?

Henry Ellenson: I talk to him a little bit. I have talked to him twice so far.

Gopher Hole: What has your brother said about the coaching change?

Henry Ellenson: He said that he likes the new atmosphere. It is a whole different thing. Everyone is more excited for the season and it is just more positive.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you more excited about Minnesota than before?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I am glad that he is happy with it. I like the new up-tempo play.

Gopher Hole: Do you two talked about maybe trying to play in college together?

Henry Ellenson: A little bit, but not much.

This didn't exactly make my day. Oh well. It's a long recruitment and its still early.

Hmmm, sounds like Tyus. The confirmed rumors about losing interest in Minnesota by Marcus and Ryan James seems to be true. After listening to people who have legitimate interest in the Gophers, it doesn't seem that Henry does, and Pitino obviously isn't making him a priority like others are. Oh well!

"I talk to him a little bit. I have talked to him twice so far" not pleased to hear that

You guys who say "Pitino hasn't won a game yet so I'm going to wait and see" are the same guys who are ripping him for not bringing in the right recruits or not making the Henrys of the world excited enough. I have faith in the guy and I'm going to let him recruit the way he wants and just sit back and enjoy this upcoming season. I like everything he's done so far and I really believe he's going to turn things around the first year.

You guys who say "Pitino hasn't won a game yet so I'm going to wait and see" are the same guys who are ripping him for not bringing in the right recruits or not making the Henrys of the world excited enough. I have faith in the guy and I'm going to let him recruit the way he wants and just sit back and enjoy this upcoming season. I like everything he's done so far and I really believe he's going to turn things around the first year.

Whos' ripping? Personally, I was just bummed that it seemed like neither party is making a priority with the other.. YET. One thing is certain, Pitino needs to make recruiting 2014 a priority and hopefully things pick up steam with Henry and others as the year moves on....

You people. SMH. Get off the ledge.

Nobody's said he's lost interest in MN, or vice versa. Every time I see a report about one of his games, a MN coach has been there, usually Ben Johnson. I don't believe we're recruiting anyone else on his D-1 Minnesota team (the U16's) so we're there solely watching Ellenson. And he's a 2015 guy, not 2014.

If you want to feel better, go look at the picture of his entire family wearing Gopher shirts. One brother goes here, the other brother goes to Bemidji. He went to numerous Gopher games last year.

Also, his mom tweeted the other day about Pam Borton and a Gopher assistant recruiting his sister Ella. (Well, given that it's Borton that might make you feel worse, LOL)

The head coach isn't the only person who recruits. Maybe one of our assistants has been keeping in regular contact?

No sh*t Shurlock, but you want your head coach talking to a top recruit more than twice thus far.

Ha. Relax. Would be nice if there was more contact, but there's a ton of guys in 2014 saying Pitino has been talking to them all the time. I think he is focusing on that class and maybe letting his assistants handle the younger guys a little more? Once we start getting some commitments in 2014, I bet he'll spend more time recruiting guys like Henry.

Ha. Relax. Would be nice if there was more contact, but there's a ton of guys in 2014 saying Pitino has been talking to them all the time. I think he is focusing on that class and maybe letting his assistants handle the younger guys a little more? Once we start getting some commitments in 2014, I bet he'll spend more time recruiting guys like Henry.

Exactly. Henry is in the 2015 class. Pitino currently has 0 recruits for the class of 2014 and that's priority #1 right now. There's still plenty of time to recruit Henry and I'm confident we're in a good position with him.

Exactly. Henry is in the 2015 class. Pitino currently has 0 recruits for the class of 2014 and that's priority #1 right now. There's still plenty of time to recruit Henry and I'm confident we're in a good position with him.

Agreed. Can't believe the first several reactions on this thread. Pitino is playing "catch-up" on the 2014 class and is going to have easy access to Henry over the next season.

My bet is by the time Henry is ready for college, Wally will no longer be playing basketball and will be 100% high jumping.

My bet is by the time Henry is ready for college, Wally will no longer be playing basketball and will be 100% high jumping.

Seriously?!?! I hope not. He will be a good roll player at the least on the court his junior and senior years. He might also keep playing basketball to keep a scholarship. Having a basketball scholarship actually gives him a full ride. It's unlikely that the track team would give a jumper a full scholarship. Unless he drops out of college to pursue high jumping as a career, which he'd need to improve about 6 inches in order to do.

Top Bottom