ESPNU to show AAU Super Showcase basketball

gophersfan

Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted or not. but tonight on ESPNU BABC (Mass) vs Howard Pulley (Minnesota) will air live at 6 pm central. again move this to a thread you think it ok to post in.

it has been posted on the "Tyus Jones on ESPN" thread but whatever, doesnt bother me

Maybe old news here, but while shooting free throws, Travis' schools he is considering were listed by ESPNU as:

ARI, BC, ISU, MSU and HARV

Maybe old news here, but while shooting free throws, Travis' schools he is considering were listed by ESPNU as:

ARI, BC, ISU, MSU and HARV

I wouldn't read too much into that, because at the time they were showing that, the announcers were talking about how Travis has been gushing about Pitino. They talked for nearly 5 minutes about Minnesota and their chances with Tyus and Reid. While I had to shake my head that they ended with the terrible "it's going to snow next week in Minnesota" trope, I did appreciate that we got that much lip service anyway.

dangit! I forgot this was going to be on. Does anyone know if they're going to show reruns??

Probably could be found in the "All Things Minnesota Gophers Thread" which seems to be how this board is shaping up with so few actual topic postings. /bitter ranting

dangit! I forgot this was going to be on. Does anyone know if they're going to show reruns??

Fri 12:00 pm
Sat 9:00 am
Sun 1:00 am

Tyus and Reid are dominating the game for HP.

Nice! Does anyone know where to find the bracket they are in? I can't find it.
EDIT: Nevermind I found it.

I wouldn't read too much into that, because at the time they were showing that, the announcers were talking about how Travis has been gushing about Pitino. They talked for nearly 5 minutes about Minnesota and their chances with Tyus and Reid. While I had to shake my head that they ended with the terrible "it's going to snow next week in Minnesota" trope, I did appreciate that we got that much lip service anyway.

The analyst (Telep?) made it sound as if the chances were good for the Gophers to get Travis (the recruit showing the coach around campus is unusual and says a lot to me about Travis' ties to Minnesota), but that there was no shot for the Gophers to get Jones.

I guess my 2nd question is, does that mean Howard Pulley isn't playing on TV anymore?

I guess my 2nd question is, does that mean Howard Pulley isn't playing on TV anymore?

They are not, however not that many gopherholers will care but tomorrow features an uber talented field with justice Winslow, Justin Jackson, Joel berry and Kelly Oubre on TV

reid had 31 points and 8 rebounds, tyus had 21 and 8 assists

Reid Travis continues to blow me away. I feel Tyus is a bit over hyped and don't agree with the CP3 comparisons at all. Travis on the other hand is pretty incredible to me.

He is built like the 26 year old Mbakwe at 18. He can handle the ball very well for his size, is strong, can make the mid range jumpers. Just love his game.

Him and some combination of Vaughn/whitehead/Newton/Perkins would be an awesome class.

Reid Travis continues to blow me away. I feel Tyus is a bit over hyped and don't agree with the CP3 comparisons at all. Travis on the other hand is pretty incredible to me.

He is built like the 26 year old Mbakwe at 18. He can handle the ball very well for his size, is strong, can make the mid range jumpers. Just love his game.

Him and some combination of Vaughn/whitehead/Newton/Perkins would be an awesome class.

Tyus isn't over hyped, he averaged 12 PPG as an 8th grader, 21 as a freshman, 29 as a sophmore at Apple valley, and led the entire EYBL in scoring, assists and steals and has led his USA team in assists, anybody that says he is overhyped is either bitter that he isn't coming here or just naive, he is the best player in the country in my opinion, as for Reid i would say he is also becoming one of the most productive players in the nation and i think he will move up in the rankings, but i feel that his 6-7 frame for a PF might keep him out of the top 20, i would say he has the same build as Mbakwe does right now, but not as athletic, not as lengthy, but has a more polished post and mid range game, Mbakwe puts more emphasis on rebounds and less of scoring, trevor was a 14 and 10 guy, i see Reid being more of a 16 and 7 guy when he is a senior while averaging less then a block a game, trevor also has a higher motor and more passion

Tyus isn't over hyped, he averaged 12 PPG as an 8th grader, 21 as a freshman, 29 as a sophmore at Apple valley, and led the entire EYBL in scoring, assists and steals and has led his USA team in assists, anybody that says he is overhyped is either bitter that he isn't coming here or just naive, he is the best player in the country in my opinion, as for Reid i would say he is also becoming one of the most productive players in the nation and i think he will move up in the rankings, but i feel that his 6-7 frame for a PF might keep him out of the top 20, i would say he has the same build as Mbakwe does right now, but not as athletic, not as lengthy, but has a more polished post and mid range game, Mbakwe puts more emphasis on rebounds and less of scoring, trevor was a 14 and 10 guy, i see Reid being more of a 16 and 7 guy when he is a senior while averaging less then a block a game, trevor also has a higher motor and more passion

Don't get me wrong, Tyus is very very good and certainly deserves the 5 star recruit rating.

I just don't think the gap between Rashad and Travis and Tyus is as big as some make it out to be.

And my issue with the CP3 comparison is just an issue with the comparison ... He is no where near as athletic as Chris is/was nor is he of the same body type. I just don't see the similarities in the way him and CP3 play the game. I think the Jason Kidd comparison is much more appropriate.

I actually thought Tyus' defense in the game was very poor. Granted, he didn't seem too interested in it. The announcers said this and on-court communication were his two weaknesses. Obviously, he does a lot of things very well. I especially like his change-of-pace. He did turn the ball over carelessly a couple times too. /Nitpicking

Don't get me wrong, Tyus is very very good and certainly deserves the 5 star recruit rating.

I just don't think the gap between Rashad and Travis and Tyus is as big as some make it out to be.

And my issue with the CP3 comparison is just an issue with the comparison ... He is no where near as athletic as Chris is/was nor is he of the same body type. I just don't see the similarities in the way him and CP3 play the game. I think the Jason Kidd comparison is much more appropriate.

Jason Kidd is 6'4 and one of the best defenders of all time. IMO he's a poor man's Chris Paul with potential to be a top 10 PG after he plays a couple years in the league.

Jason Kidd is 6'4 and one of the best defenders of all time. IMO he's a poor man's Chris Paul with potential to be a top 10 PG after he plays a couple years in the league.

I just don't see him with the shooting ability of Chris Paul - he could very well get there though.

I could see a Tony Parker comparison for him as well.

Tyus more like closer to 17ppg as an 8th grader plus a ton of assists. He has been the real deal for several years. Amir Coffey 8 ppg as a 9th grader. Brock Bertram 11ppg and 8 rebounds a game as a 9th grader. Reid Travis nothing as a 9th grader.

i first learned who Tyus was when i saw the STrib head line: 8th grader scores 16 against Eden Prairie and i started thinking "i wonder if he is the best 8th grader in the nation?"

You're always going to find aspects that aren't equal when comparing two players. He's much more Chris Paul than Kidd. Kidd is obviously known for his ridiculous passing, good defense, and lack of scoring ability. Rubio is similar to Kidd. CP3 definitely comes to mind watching Tyus--I don't see the Kidd comparison at all other than the high bball IQ. Chris Paul is one of the best shooters in the game--it's not fair to say they aren't similar because he's a much better shooter than a high schooler. Paul also isn't known for being that athletic. I'd say they're actually pretty similar in that regard, although I think Tyus is sneaky athletic.

Top Bottom