UPDATED 8/24: Josh Perkins Commits to Gonzaga

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Zags:

“The five are UCLA, Minnesota, Gonzaga, UConn and Kentucky,” Randy Perkins said by phone from Las Vegas where his son is playing in the Fab 48 event this week.

Randy Perkins also said it was unlikely his son would end up packaging with Rashad Vaughn, as the two players had discussed with SNY.tv recently in Philadelphia.

“That’s kid’s talk,” he said. “They don’t know what’s best. It’s a dynamic duo for sure. That kid [Vaughn] is quite the talent. They base stuff on relationships. Where the game’s concerned, when you bring in another kid that commands as as many touches as you do you have to make sure that the institution that is recruiting you wants that.

Meantime, Gonzaga coach Mark Few and Minnesota coach Richard Pitino sat side by side watching Perkins last week in Dallas.

“Obviously, Pitino is putting the fullcourt press on,” Randy said. “It’s amazing those guys can sit next to each other knowing that they are both recruiting them at that level.”

Minnesota and UCLA are both also involved with Philadelphia point guard Ja’Quan Newton, who recently picked up an offer from Pittsburgh.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/josh-perkins-cuts-to-five-vaughn-package-unlikely/

Go Gophers!!

per Zags:

“The five are UCLA, Minnesota, Gonzaga, UConn and Kentucky,” Randy Perkins said by phone from Las Vegas where his son is playing in the Fab 48 event this week.

Randy Perkins also said it was unlikely his son would end up packaging with Rashad Vaughn, as the two players had discussed with SNY.tv recently in Philadelphia.

“That’s kid’s talk,” he said. “They don’t know what’s best. It’s a dynamic duo for sure. That kid [Vaughn] is quite the talent. They base stuff on relationships. Where the game’s concerned, when you bring in another kid that commands as as many touches as you do you have to make sure that the institution that is recruiting you wants that.

Meantime, Gonzaga coach Mark Few and Minnesota coach Richard Pitino sat side by side watching Perkins last week in Dallas.

“Obviously, Pitino is putting the fullcourt press on,” Randy said. “It’s amazing those guys can sit next to each other knowing that they are both recruiting them at that level.”

Minnesota and UCLA are both also involved with Philadelphia point guard Ja’Quan Newton, who recently picked up an offer from Pittsburgh.

Go Gophers!!

Just posted this in the all things 2014 recruits thread!

I thought it was kind of sad how Perkins father feels about him and Rashad teaming up... Two guys who will want the ball too much? Okay Randy, what are you expecting at Kentucky? Hint: There will be 10 guys who want the ball too much.

My post from the Perkins/Vaughn Package thread...

My guess at his ranking of the 5 teams right now:
1. Kentucky - no brainer if they offer him by August 25th
2. Gonzaga - seems like he is really high on them and they've been after him a while
3. Minnesota
3. UCLA
5. UCONN

This could be good news for the Newton/Whitehead/Vaughn triumvirate.

Just posted this in the all things 2014 recruits thread!

I thought it was kind of sad how Perkins father feels about him and Rashad teaming up... Two guys who will want the ball too much? Okay Randy, what are you expecting at Kentucky? Hint: There will be 10 guys who want the ball too much.

Yea, that was a strange comment. If these guys go to the schools they are all looking at, they will be there with guys who most think they will be in the NBA and who most think they need "touches" and want the ball.

Go Gophers!!

2. Gonzaga - seems like he is really high on them and they've been after him a while
3. Minnesota
3. UCLA
5. UCONN

Very good point! I'm surprised that didn't even cross my mind, but now that Perkins (father) doesn't want the package deal it would seem more likely that Vaughn would pick Minnesota which would also leave the spot open for Newton (since there would be no Perkins)

If we somehow got this guy that would probably take us out of the Whitehead/Newton race, but would it also take us out of the Vaughn race if they are not planning on packaging?

Or is that just fancy talk for "we are going to have separate recruitment and if we both end up at the same place then that's just great."

I mean, obviously if this guy wants to come here we are in absolutely no position to turn him away in hopes of landing Newton & Whitehead. I'll take the #40ish player in the country in a heartbeat.

If we somehow got this guy that would probably take us out of the Whitehead/Newton race, but would it also take us out of the Vaughn race if they are not planning on packaging?

Or is that just fancy talk for "we are going to have separate recruitment and if we both end up at the same place then that's just great."

I mean, obviously if this guy wants to come here we are in absolutely no position to turn him away in hopes of landing Newton & Whitehead. I'll take the #40ish player in the country in a heartbeat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Perkins a top 25 player now?

I feel like if Perkins did commit to Minnesota, Vaughn would be even more inclined to commit (regardless of what pops said). His home state school, with one of his buddies... It would be an almost done deal!

And yeah, Pitino would never turn away Perkins for the hope that he land Newton and Whitehead!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Perkins a top 25 player now?

You're right, he has jumped since I last looked. 247sports even has him as a 5 star!

Another thing to consider is Newton saying in an interview that Pitino said he has his primary point guard recruit for 2014 and that he really wanted him. Did Pitino say that to Perkins too? He must have said something similar if we made the top 5. He cut Arizona and Kansas offers in favor of us.

Gopherhole will be a circus if this guy commits on August 23.

On another note, Calipari is living the dream. He is making top 5 lists of guys that he hasn't even offered. Kentucky fans have it so easy.

3. Minnesota
3. UCLA
5. UCONN

What's your reasoning on that top 5? Not saying your wrong, just curious. From what I've heard from Perkins in interviews he seems pretty high on UCLA.

You're right, he has jumped since I last looked. 247sports even has him as a 5 star!

Another thing to consider is Newton saying in an interview that Pitino said he has his primary point guard recruit for 2014 and that he really wanted him. Did Pitino say that to Perkins too? He must have said something similar if we made the top 5. He cut Arizona and Kansas offers in favor of us.

Gopherhole will be a circus if this guy commits on August 23.

On another note, Calipari is living the dream. He is making top 5 lists of guys that he hasn't even offered. Kentucky fans have it so easy.

I can't even imagine the excitement on here! We would all be on here trying to figure out what this means for the rest of the 2014 class - especially Vaughn, Newton & Whitehead! Man, would that be awesome!

I asked a Denver coach who knows Randy very well where he thought Josh would end up. The coach told me Randy will make sure his son signs where ever it will make Randy look the best. Randy is a guy that feels like he's not been given what life owes him, and I guess he wants to make sure his son gets it for him. But he could have a point about playing with Vaughn, Josh is a very high volume shooter. Under offense scheme a rival team had on their scouting report "The Josh Perkins Circus." But Randy is not going to happy with anyone his son signs with. No one will give his son the shoots he wants Josh taking. On the plus side Randy doesn't seem like the guy that will demand money for his son.

But anyway, I can see how Josh and Rashad would get along. They both have grown up in the shadow of someone who has taken most of their thunder coming up. Josh played on the same grade school team as Dominique Collier, they also had Greg Owens another D1 guard. But while both have had a lot of press they are always the 2nd guy people talk about. I have no proof but I feel that's why both left for prep school. Any other year people in the area would be talking day and night about Josh and Rashad, but they happen to both end up in a class with someone a little better (well I feel that Dom is a lot better). I feel that neither one wanted to be 1B in what they think are small ponds.

I asked a Denver coach who knows Randy very well where he thought Josh would end up. The coach told me Randy will make sure his son signs where ever it will make Randy look the best. Randy is a guy that feels like he's not been given what life owes him, and I guess he wants to make sure his son gets it for him. But he could have a point about playing with Vaughn, Josh is a very high volume shooter. Under offense scheme a rival team had on their scouting report "The Josh Perkins Circus." But Randy is not going to happy with anyone his son signs with. No one will give his son the shoots he wants Josh taking. On the plus side Randy doesn't seem like the guy that will demand money for his son.

But anyway, I can see how Josh and Rashad would get along. They both have grown up in the shadow of someone who has taken most of their thunder coming up. Josh played on the same grade school team as Dominique Collier, they also had Greg Owens another D1 guard. But while both have had a lot of press they are always the 2nd guy people talk about. I have no proof but I feel that's why both left for prep school. Any other year people in the area would be talking day and night about Josh and Rashad, but they happen to both end up in a class with someone a little better (well I feel that Dom is a lot better). I feel that neither one wanted to be 1B in what they think are small ponds.

1) I get what you're saying about both of them being high volume shooters, but what does Randy think will happen if he goes to Uconn or Kentucky? and 2) Rashad has definitely grown up in Tyus's shadow but Perkins growing up in Collier's shadow?... seems kind of strange to me, I feel like Perkins is the better player. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Well we'll be getting up a ton of shots in Pitino's offense. There will be plenty of shots to go around I feel.

1) I get what you're saying about both of them being high volume shooters, but what does Randy think will happen if he goes to Uconn or Kentucky? and 2) Rashad has definitely grown up in Tyus's shadow but Perkins growing up in Collier's shadow?... seems kind of strange to me, I feel like Perkins is the better player. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Dom is the better player IMO, but also that's how most in that area feel. Dom plays for East where everyone is talented, and the ball is spread around. This years East team will most likely end up going down as the greatest high school team in Colorado history. I'm excited to watch them in the Palms City Classic this year. But that's why Dom's numbers are not as high.

edit: No one in the Denver club circuit will accuse Randy of having a large IQ. So I have no idea what Randy thinks is going to happen after he signs.

What would you rather have A commit in Perkins or a 50% chance at Whitehead/Newton?

per Zags:

Go Gophers!!

The old man sounds like a real piece of work. Makes me skeptical about the kid.

What would you rather have A commit in Perkins or a 50% chance at Whitehead/Newton?

You would have to take the sure thing in Perkins... If you're most people... but I'm a gambling man so I take a coin flip for Whitehead & Newton Combo.

Just kidding, I take the sure thing in Perkins because I think it would actually help us land Vaughn (regardless of what the Randy said)! Anyone who takes a coin flip for Whitehead/Newton would be crazy for this very reason.

We haven't had a top 25 recruit commit to us in about a decade. You take him in an instant.

What's your reasoning on that top 5? Not saying your wrong, just curious. From what I've heard from Perkins in interviews he seems pretty high on UCLA.

Well I explained the top 2 and I think the article made it seem like those are definitely the top 2 at the moment. I don't think I've seen enough comments/stories about UCLA and Minnesota to really put one ahead of the other. I'd say we are pretty close with UCLA. UConn definitely seems like the long shot since there seems to be even less press about UConn and Perkins than UCLA and Minnesota.

Anyone know if/when Perkins will visit Minnesota? Would have to be soon considering his August 25th deadline.

Well I explained the top 2 and I think the article made it seem like those are definitely the top 2 at the moment. I don't think I've seen enough comments/stories about UCLA and Minnesota to really put one ahead of the other. I'd say we are pretty close with UCLA. UConn definitely seems like the long shot since there seems to be even less press about UConn and Perkins than UCLA and Minnesota.

Anyone know if/when Perkins will visit Minnesota? Would have to be soon considering his August 25th deadline.

He actually unofficialy visited the Minnesota campus in the fall. But, he is still possibly, probably going to use an official here.

It is starting to sound like the Gophers actually have a chance to get a commitment out of this kid, I'm starting to think that Perkins and his dad would like him to be the focus of the offense and preferably in a run and gun environment, Pitino must have convinced him Minnesota could provide that, if Kentucky offers he's gone, I hope we have as good a chance as the others.

Start with that kid and who knows it could be a two or three ***** star recruiting class, it could really jump start the class and create a better incentive for Vaughn to pick the Gophers.

He actually unofficialy visited the Minnesota campus in the fall. But, he is still possibly, probably going to use an official here.

I was thinking he might have during that EYBL tournament (or whatever it's called). Were there any good stories about how the visit went? I don't seem to remember anything other than tweets about it.

I don't mean to veer off course but can someone explain to me why Royce White had the offer list of a high end 3*.

May have been more to it, but a big part was that he committed early. Most guys get a lot of their big offers in July after their junior year, but Royce was already committed to Minnesota at that time.

I don't mean to veer off course but can someone explain to me why Royce White had the offer list of a high end 3*.

Getting expelled from De La Salle and being a complete jackass in general, I'm guessing.

Top Bottom