Interesting: For-profit/NASDAQ-traded company Grand Canyon University moving to D1

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

It's a good time to be an investor in the NASDAQ-traded company with the ticker symbol LOPE. As of Friday its share price had risen more than 48 percent this calendar year, and more than 80 percent over the past 12 months. In its first quarter earnings call held May 7, a Deutsche Bank analyst asked the company's CEO how a recent initiative might affect its marketing strategy going forward.

"It really won't impact anything short-term. I think it will give us a lot more visibility," Brian Mueller told the analyst. "We are talking about TV contracts right now, mostly regional TV contracts, mostly around our men's basketball program, but we are going to be on the Pac-12 Network because our soccer team is playing Stanford to open the season next year."*

It's impossible to say whether this was the first-ever reference to a televised college soccer match on a Wall Street earnings call. But Mueller's company, Grand Canyon University, in Phoenix, is in the process of becoming the first-ever for-profit university to join the NCAA's Division I ranks. The Antelopes (hence, the ticker symbol) accepted an invitation to the WAC last December when the oft-raided league was on life support. On July 1 they became official members, beginning a four-year transition period from Division II to Division I

In late 2008, the company went public and is now well above 50,000 in enrollment. Infused with investors' cash, the school went on a building spree, and this fall it will host 8,500 on-campus undergrads with plans to go to 15,000 in three years. In stark contrast to most of academia, the school's published tuition of $16,500 has not increased in four years, thanks to a reported $180 million after-tax profit from 2009-12. (The average cost after scholarships is $7,800.)

Mueller said the Division I move is driven in part to give its new influx of traditional students "a more vibrant campus experience" by affording them the chance to cheer on a big-time sports team. Last spring it hired former Phoenix Suns star and assistant coach Dan Majerle as its new men's basketball coach. (Grand Canyon does not field a football team.) It will be eligible for the NCAA Tournament beginning in 2017-18.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...nyon-university-pac-12-protest/?sct=uk_t12_a2

Go Gophers!!

I was wondering where the post was going when i first started reading the post. Interesting.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I went to a Grand Canyon game last year... just to watch some hoops, but more so to see the legend Dan Majerle coach. It in the heart of one of the ****tyist areas of PHX.

Top Bottom