Student ticket sales 5X as many as the previous 2 years per Richard Pitino

GopherLady

Reaction score
He tweeted this:

Richard Pitino @MNCoachPitino
We have sold over half of the 13-14 season student tickets, 5X's as many the previous 2 years. Students sign up now! mygophersports.com/students

Gopher Bball confirmed:

Minnesota Basketball @GopherBBall
.@MNCoachPitino is right -- #Gophers student basketball sales are booming this summer! #UMN students, get 'em now! mygophersports.com/students

As a student, I must say that there is much more buzz on campus about the upcoming season than there has been the past few years. It will be interesting to see if that translates to a louder, rowdier student section!

As a student, I must say that there is much more buzz on campus about the upcoming season than there has been the past few years. It will be interesting to see if that translates to a louder, rowdier student section!

If it does (and I think it will) that could mean a few more home wins for the Gophers. Home court advantage is huge, 2/3 of games are won on home courts, and The Barn has not have much of that great atmosphere in the past few years. Hoping we can get back to that Rockin' Barn this year!

If it does (and I think it will) that could mean a few more home wins for the Gophers. Home court advantage is huge, 2/3 of games are won on home courts, and The Barn has not have much of that great atmosphere in the past few years. Hoping we can get back to that Rockin' Barn this year!

I agree, but there were a few games last year that really got going. Indiana comes to mind lol, but Michigan and Wisconsin were also pretty rockin. The year before Wisconsin and Illinois were pretty nuts.

Are these in danger of selling out before school starts? I may have to find a way to come up with the money quicker than I had planned. Wasn't expecting these to sell so fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

. ... The Barn has not have much of that great atmosphere in the past few years. Hoping we can get back to that Rockin' Barn this year!

Hopefully Pitino is willing to enhance that atmosphere by getting started early, scheduling a decent home game or two in November and December, one(s) fans can get legitimately excited about.

Are these in danger of selling out before school starts? I may have to find a way to come up with the money quicker than I had planned. Wasn't expecting these to sell so fast.

Better to be safe than sorry! I doubt they'd sell out this summer...but that would be pretty awesome!

Hopefully Pitino is willing to enhance that atmosphere by getting started early, scheduling a decent home game or two in November and December, one(s) fans can get legitimately excited about.

But SS, Joe Esposito did such a great job of scheduling those great home games for us ;)

Anyone know what the #'s are? Any different marketing plans this year (football + basketball combos, etc)?

They said "sold over half".. so, sounds good. But are we talking 1,000 vs. 200... or 500 vs. 100...?

Should get a good bump with a new coach, but especially with Pitino.

Anyone know what the #'s are? Any different marketing plans this year (football + basketball combos, etc)?

They said "sold over half".. so, sounds good. But are we talking 1,000 vs. 200... or 500 vs. 100...?

There are approximately 2100 student seats, right? Correct me if I'm wrong on that but I would guess that means they've sold around 1100 tickets so far with 1000 more remaining.

I can see the Marketing/Ticket Sales Department using this motto:

GET YOUR TICKETS EARLY OR YOU'LL NEVER SEE ME RUN!!!

Whatever the numbers are, I'm betting it's a reference to "as of this time last year" not a comparison of total student season tickets sold. The student section wasn't bad last year, but it would be a lot of fun to get it packed this year in November and December.

There was or still is a promo that if you bought football tickets you got basketball at a reduced price? I cannot remember if that was this year of last?

There was or still is a promo that if you bought football tickets you got basketball at a reduced price? I cannot remember if that was this year of last?

For students, you can bundle football with either basketball or hockey (or all 3, if you'd like) and get a decent discount. I've already picked up my hockey tickets since they sell out quite a bit faster but I'm still debating whether or not to get football tickets in addition to basketball.

As for general public tickets, I'm not entirely sure if there are bundling options available.

Any different marketing plans this year (football + basketball combos, etc)?
It's along the lines of:

Gold Package: $250 for football, basketball, and Fri or Sat hockey tickets.
Maroon Package: $163 for football and basketball or Fri or Sat hockey tickets

...Hockey Saturday nights already sold out I believe, Friday still available.

Football: $84 (lowered from last year)
Basketball: $99
Hockey: $99

They didn't do combos last year for students so this is a plus. Saved me about $20 buying football and basketball at the same time.

@ameliarayno: For #Gophers hoops, they have sold 873 student season tickets as of today. Five times as many as last 2 yrs at this point.

Go Gophers!!

Per Pioneer Press: 738 vs 140. July 14 vs. July 14.

Bundles are way up.

Amelia just tweeted this: For #Gophers hoops, they have sold 873 student season tickets as of today. Five times as many as last 2 yrs at this point.

It's along the lines of:

They didn't do combos last year for students so this is a plus. Saved me about $20 buying football and basketball at the same time.

This could also be part of the reason why the bball ticket orders are much higher right now. Normally I wouldn't buy basketball until early fall, but since I needed my football tickets, I had to bundle them with basketball right away to save some money.

It's along the lines of:

Good to understand. This explains some of the increase, though I'm sure there are increased sales resulting from renewed optimism / a new coach / and Pitino specifically. But, offering new incentives and doing so early appear to be part of the increase so far to date.

STrib blog: Students buying Gophers hoops season tickets 5X faster than last two years

“We made a strategic decision to package up – whether it’s football and basketball, football and hockey, we also have a package that gives you all three – and we really have done a good job of promoting the packages, Director of Ticketing Brent Holck said. “There’s a price discount in for students who want to purchase multiple sports season tickets, so that’s really helped us increase our basketball and hockey numbers as well early on. We’ve seen a lot of those kids that are a little bit more tied in – or I would call them diehards – that are deciding to purchase more than just football or just basketball. So we’re seeing an increase in investment from our students to multiple sports.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/216488631.html

Go Gophers!!

873 divided by 2,200 = less than 40%... or, greater than 50% per Gopher Math.

Anyway, probably smart to bundle if your goal is to sell tickets vs. make money (and, might* make more money doing it this way). Gotta get things rolling so they show up to games, though. I think they will.

THANK GOD they are finally bundling. We did this years ago, when there were 10K in the football student section, and close to 2K in basketball. I know they stopped doing this when Tubby came (heard he was not in favor of it) - glad the new regime seems to get it.

THANK GOD they are finally bundling. We did this years ago, when there were 10K in the football student section, and close to 2K in basketball. I know they stopped doing this when Tubby came (heard he was not in favor of it) - glad the new regime seems to get it.

Let me understand this. Orlando couldn't get permission to use the gym across from his office, but his alleged desire not to have student tickets bundled for football and basketball went thru no sweat?

Good to see. I still think they should lower the price even more.

I don't know how the student section sold during the Clem years compared to now, however I remember bball always being THE ticket. It was $180 even way back then for ~20 games. That's not cheap considering all the (bad) games during the winter break that were difficult to attend.

Not sure how the student section is now, but back then it was unforgiving, particularly to the Sconnies, who used to pepper the crowds filthy red even back in the mid-90s when their programs were still in their infancies after decades of suck. This one poor fat kid dressed in Sconnie gear dared to sit in the student section of one home game, and worse, he decided to bring a whole meal with him, which both upset and annoyed the fans around him. Poor kid got his pizza shoved smack in his face. Must have been season of 1996.

Top Bottom