Q&A: Tyus Jones Talks Upcoming Game On ESPN, Pitino and Official Visits

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Tyus Jones Talks Upcoming Game On ESPN, Pitino and Official Visits
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/272359?referrer_id=331171

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound rising senior point guard from Apple Valley (MN) High, is ranked as the number three prospect in the Class of 2014, according to ESPN. He is a key recruit for his final list of seven programs, which includes Minnesota.

GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Tuesday to learn the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You started out with two losses in the Peach Jam, but have to be pretty proud that you were able to bounce back and win your next two contests and had a chance to make it to the Elite Eight if you could have beaten the Oakland Soldiers. What was the overall impression of last week?

Tyus Jones: Overall, it was good. We fought down there. I think that we let our first game slip just because I think that we were a little bit nervous. We had some butterflies just because we had been off the EYBL play for over a month, but I am proud of how the guys played and we had a shot to go to the Elite Eight, like you said. It was right there for us. Unfortunately, we came out 2-3. We wanted to be 3-2, but we still played pretty well.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about taking some visits once you are done with playing in July and August?

Tyus Jones: We have been talking with some schools. We are looking at some dates, but I don’t have anything finalize yet. Once the dates get finalized, we’ll put it out there.

Gopher Hole: I think that all seven schools that you are looking at were at the Peach Jam. Did you notice them or did they make it pretty known that they were there to watch you?

Tyus Jones: Yes, they are there to watch and I noticed it. I was focused on helping my team get wins and not really the recruiting part. I notice it, but that is not what I focused on.

Gopher Hole: I talked to Reid Travis about your high schools meeting. Have you ever talked to your aunt, who is AD at DeLaSalle and say ‘Hey, get this done.’

Tyus Jones: We are trying to. I know that Coach Goring is trying to set it up, so we’ll see how it goes. Maybe, the Breakdown will set it up for us.

Gopher Hole: I had asked you before, but have you heard anymore on playing Whitney Young, because that sounds like that might get done?

Tyus Jones: That will get done. We are playing them the 10th or the 12th (the game is likely going to be on the 12th) on ESPN at Apple Valley.

Gopher Hole: What is that experience going to be like? Your gym is pretty good sized.

Tyus Jones: It is pretty good sized, but I am pretty sure that it will get filled up pretty quickly. It will be a crazy environment, a crazy atmosphere. A big time game, so it will be a lot of fun.

Gopher Hole: When you played Eastview two years ago, you had packed gyms. Is that what you would expect against Whitney Young?

Tyus Jones: It will be more. It will be more. It will be sold out. I am sure that it will be sold out. I don’t even know how early. They’ll pre-sell tickets. It will be a great experience.

Gopher Hole: More than likely, you and Jahlil Okafor, will already be committed to whatever school by then, right?

Tyus Jones: Hopefully. Hopefully, that is the plan to commit in the fall and get signed. Hopefully, we’ll already have the college choice picked out and be ready to go.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that you are almost looking forward to getting things done? I know that it has been a long process.

Tyus Jones: I am looking forward to it. It has been a long process. It is crazy how fast it has gone now when I am looking back on it. I am ready to get it done with and pick a school and get the process wrapped up with.

Gopher Hole: Anything new with the local sqaud?

Tyus Jones: No. I have just been talking to Coach Pitino. I talked to him after the Peach Jam. I talk to Coach Johnson. Just keep in contact with them.

"We" mean Jones family or Tyus and Okafor? Irrelevant analysis given the lack of enthusiasm expressed about the Gophers, It's like sitting next to a presentable, fine young woman in class who you politely say hi to but never get much further than "have a great weekend." You've been a gentleman, spoken to her, and sought nothing more.

Tyus will leave saying sure I considered MN, but....

When he does leave and if Vaughn and Travis were to stay and lead MN deep into the NCAA, who will leave the greatest legacy?

Legacy and NBA cash v NBA immediate ca$h?

I love how he first mentions that "we" meaning him and jahlil, will already be committed in the fall (to a school besides Minnesota since it isn't on jahlil's list), and he acts like fans are supposed to believe he is still looking at Minnesota. But... Don't get me wrong, he's a good kid.

Anyways, it will be a great matchup between some great players (Tyus, Jahlil, Paul white, Brock, etc) and it will sure be exciting to watch in person!

Also, I like how they list Tyus at 6'2. Meeting him a few times, he's about 5'10, 5'11 tops. Still has no factor on how good of a pg he will be in the NBA though.

He seems less and less humble by the day. Let the Duke cockiness flow through you Mr. Jones.

Also, I like how they list Tyus at 6'2. Meeting him a few times, he's about 5'10, 5'11 tops. Still has no factor on how good of a pg he will be in the NBA though.

Assuming you met him when he was in 7th or 8th grade?

I don't feel bitter about him not being a Gopher. No one player is going to make you great unless his name is Magic or Bird.

Close to 7/8 weeks weeks ago actually... Seriously, if you ever stand next to him you'll see.

I've stood directly next to him countless times. I'm 6'2" and he seems no more than an inch shorter than me. I'd give him 6'1". I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, not that it's a big deal.

well at least now he pretty much came out and said that him and Okafor are going to the same school and it's not going to be Minnesota...bum bum bum...another one bites the dust.

No way he's 5'10". For someone who "isn't that athletic," it sure looks like he dunks pretty effortlessly and doesn't appear to be THAT high off the ground.

I love how he first mentions that "we" meaning him and jahlil, will already be committed in the fall (to a school besides Minnesota since it isn't on jahlil's list), and he acts like fans are supposed to believe he is still looking at Minnesota. But... Don't get me wrong, he's a good kid.

Anyways, it will be a great matchup between some great players (Tyus, Jahlil, Paul white, Brock, etc) and it will sure be exciting to watch in person!

well at least now he pretty much came out and said that him and Okafor are going to the same school and it's not going to be Minnesota...bum bum bum...another one bites the dust.

He and Okafor have been talking about going to the same school for months. Clearly if they go through with their plan the U has 0% chance of getting them, but until that date you keep on recruiting in the hopes that something will happen. If not you make sure you have a strong plan B in lined up as well.

Top Bottom