Gopher Q&A: Wally Ellenson Talks Pitino, High Jumping and His Brother Henry

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gopher Q&A: Wally Ellenson Talks Pitino, High Jumping and His Brother Henry
By Nadine Babu

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/272003?referrer_id=388419

Playing two sports at the college level is a daunting challenge, and that is exactly what Gophers basketball player and high jumper Wally Ellenson is taking on. Ellenson brought his crazy athleticism and hard-working attitude to the U and is now embarking on two sports at once – basketball and the high jump. Ellenson played sparingly his freshman year in basketball, but is in a great spot to see his role increase significantly with the new coaching staff that is determined to play up-tempo, which is certain to benefit Ellenson. GopherHole’s Nadine Babu caught up with Ellenson earlier this week.

GopherHole: Tell me about the USA team you qualified for this summer?
Wally Ellenson: The USA team I qualified for, I went to the US Juninior national championshisp at Drake. I took second there and I qualified for the Pan-Am Games in August in Columbia.

GopherHole: How have you been balancing the two sports?
Wally Ellenson: It’s been very difficult, but I have a great support system, and I’m just taking it day by day.

GopherHole: Do you ever anticipate having to focus on just one of the two sports?
Wally Ellenson: I do not anticipate that, I am just going to work hard in both sports.

GopherHole: You played with Royce White in Howard Pulley last night. How was that experience?
Wally Ellenson: You know what, I never really knew him before. He’s a great guy and a great player so it was a lot of fun.

GopherHole: How do you think your style of play will fit in with the new staff?
Wally Ellenson: They definitely run more my style of offense and I can’t wait to start in the Fall.

GopherHole: Do you have any regrets on playing last year?
Wally Ellenson: No not at all. It’s made me who I am today and I’m happy with that.

GopherHole: What did you learn last year?
Wally Ellenson: I learned that nothing is guaranteed and you just have to work hard every day.

GopherHole: Any chance any talented family members will attend Gopher games this year?
Wally Ellenson: (Laughs) Yea, there will be some talented family members attending. I can’t wait for my family to come watch and my brother, he’s having a great July.

GopherHole: Has your family gotten to know Pitino yet?
Wally Ellenson: Little by little they have. But he’s very busy right now and they will more as the season gets going.

GopherHole: What are your initial thoughts on Coach Pitino and his style?
Wally Ellenson: He’s a great guy, a great coach. He’s very intense, which I like and need.

Wally seems like just a great guy. When it comes to Ellensons, the more the better!

The possibilities for the next two recruiting classes are sky high. The talent they are in on is very encouraging. Hope they can land 6 or seven of these kids over the next two years.

The possibilities for the next two recruiting classes are sky high. The talent they are in on is very encouraging. Hope they can land 6 or seven of these kids over the next two years.

Wally Ellenson: He’s a great guy, a great coach. He’s very intense, which I like and need.

One repeating theme with Pitino- he impresses everyone that is in contact with him. Every recruit and existing player seems to have a glowing report about his personality and his ability to inspire and coach.

So, yeah I think we are going to have a lot of fun in the next couple of recruited classes here.

One repeating theme with Pitino- he impresses everyone that is in contact with him. Every recruit and existing player seems to have a glowing report about his personality and his ability to inspire and coach.

So, yeah I think we are going to have a lot of fun in the next couple of recruited classes here.

All of the parents that have commented on him have been very impressed too, most notably Vaughn's dad who said he was pretty shocked when him and Rashad went to a practice.

A bit of bad blood between Bo Ryan and Ellenson's as Bo pretty much ignored Wally as a prepster. Wisc though working hard on Henry are a little bit behind the 8ball.I think we are pretty good with Henry right now and if Wally has an enjoyable year we should get Henry. Wally being a bit of track star is big plus as he is likely to be ok with limited court time by looking forward to track season. The Ellenson's really put a lot of emphasis on watching their sons compete. Their father works on their game with them . I think the family will put a high priority on being physically able to attend their college games and that is a big plus for the U

Top Bottom