Gopher Q&A: Joey King Talks Transition to the U, Teams Work Ethic and Guitar Hero

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gopher Q&A: Joey King Talks Transition to the U, Teams Work Ethic and Guitar Hero
By Nadine Babu

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/271448?referrer_id=331171

As Richard Pitino continues his roster make-over, a new addition that will likely have an immediate impact (assuming he gets cleared by the NCAA to play immediately) is Drake transfer Joey King. The Minnesota native returns home and will give the Gophers an inside-outside threat at the PF spot. GopherHole's Nadine Babu caught up with King on Tuesday.

GH: How is the transition from Drake to the U going?

JK: It’s going really well, I’m having a great summer so far. I’m really enjoying my time back home. It’s a great time playing under Coach Pitino.

GH: How do you think your game will transition to the Big Ten?

JK: I have no worries, I know who I am as a player, and I’m just really confident and looking forward to the opportunity to play in the Big 10.

GH: Who are you as a player, for people that haven’t gotten a chance to see you play?

JK: A pick and pop four-man, people consider me pretty tough. I’m just a hard worker, ready to have my opportunity and my shot.

GH: What is the latest on your NCAA appeal to gain immediate eligibility?

JK: We are working on the paperwork and submitting the waiver very soon.

GH: Is there any reason it hasn’t been submitted yet?

JK: We’ve just been working on the paperwork, and it’s almost complete and we’ll be sending it in soon.

GH: Do you envision banging down low with Big Ten PFs or will you float more and stretch D?

JK: My expectation is to do both.

GH: What are the early differences of practicing with guys in the Big Ten as opposed to the Missouri Valley?

JK: My guys here, we work really hard, as we did at Drake. It’s just a new level, and a great opportunity and I’m enjoying that this year.

GH: Who’s your roommate?

JK: Wally Ellenson. We played against eachother in AAU, and we’re just having a lot of fun right now being together.

GH: What does it mean to you to play for your hometown Gophers?

JK: It means a lot to me, it’s a pretty special opportunity, I’ve been thinking about it since my freshman year of high school. It’s just great to be back

GH: How would you describe Coach Pitino’s coaching style?

JK: We get up and down in practice, I don’t have much to say about it right now, except we get up and down and we’re a pretty fast team.

GH: Who has surprised you the most on the team?

JK: Big Mo. I used to come and see him a long time ago, and he was a big boy, and he’s really trimmed down. I really love Mav, Austin, all of our guards’ work ethic, they’re just really talented and I look forward to playing with them.

GH: What is something that people don’t know about you?

JK: Ummm…I’m really good at Guitar Hero. I don’t even look at the screen.

JK: Wally Ellenson. We played against eachother in AAU, and we’re just having a lot of fun right now being together.

FWIW his initial roommate was McNeil, they had some skirmishes during practice.

FWIW his initial roommate was McNeil, they had some skirmishes during practice.

Interesting tidbit.

Interesting tidbit.

I guess Joey takes practice seriously; game-like picks, takes charges, full speed/contact... I like it.

Talked to his mom one night at the Pro-Am. Extremely nice lady. Hope his brothers next surgery goes well and the bone marrow takes... sounds like he's had a very difficult time the last 5-6 years.

By Nadine Babu

GH: What is something that people don’t know about you?

JK: Ummm…I’m really good at Guitar Hero. I don’t even look at the screen.

hehe sweet. One of the best games of all time. That takes a lot of talent.

I prefer players that are good at 'Steal the Bacon'.

Don't dismiss the hand-eye coordination (or in his case, according to his statement, hand-ear coordination) required of today's gaming, particularly something as demanding as this game.

Basketball at an extremely high level requires upper torso skills as much as lower torso. I can think of very few sports (soccer) in which leg/foot skills (and a hard head) are the only necessary athletic attributes.

And soccer doesn't fit your criteria. You must work for ESPN.

Don't dismiss the hand-eye coordination (or in his case, according to his statement, hand-ear coordination) required of today's gaming, particularly something as demanding as this game.

Basketball at an extremely high level requires upper torso skills as much as lower torso. I can think of very few sports (soccer) in which leg/foot skills (and a hard head) are the only necessary athletic attributes.

Top Bottom